1790-1840 U.S. Census Records

Elvin Birth
I believe US Census rules state that the head of household is enumerated.

Other rules then follow. I am not quoting from any government publication but I am confident enough that I use the early census data in that way.

Other family members, servants, boarders, and persons named in 1850 onward are ignored but that is a function of the US Census, not any genealogical record.

Elvin Birth

Re: 1790-1840 U.S. Census Records

Kurt Caulley
The 1790 - 1840 census was a single line entry listing the head of household only. The other entries
were meant to only count the others living in the home by age group. They are not much more than a
statistical collection of the number of inhabitants in an area. For genealogical information they are a
reference to where the ancestor lived and approximate age of those in the house hold. Some census
asked about slaves and their age group. Trying to attach anyone other than the head of household to
these census is a stab in the dark but is useful in that it does tell you that there were X number of
children per age group or maybe the mother or father or older person could have been living there. I
just enter the information for the Head and leave it at that.
1850 on all members of the house hold were listed under the head of household. That included other
family members, servants, and boarders. It was not until the 1880 census that the relationship to the
head of household was added to the form. Use caution when using these census because the
enumerator made assumption or was not given complete information. An example is I found a male
relative and wife with 7 children and attached them together as a family. Later I found the wife had been
married before and was a widow. The first 3 children listed was from her first marriage. Her first
marriage was to her second husbands brother. (Ya read that again. :) )

Re: 1790-1840 U.S. Census Records

Dave Scheipers
Hi Curt,

My originally query was where to place these census events. 1850 onward, I create each individual's census event.

For the 1790-1840 census records, I've been creating the one record for the Head of Household with a transcript of the record in the citation. But I've been wondering if that event would be better in the family event list. The numbers are a reflection of the 'family' as it existed then, even if we cannot be sure who were the people that were counted at that time.

So far, no one has said they put these records in the family event list. If more than a few people had said the 1790-1840 censuses made sense as a family event, it could have pushed me to make the change. So far, no one has made the case that this is the way to go.

Maybe I'm the only that ever considered these as possible 'family' events, unlike other census records that enumerate individuals. I posed the question and so far everyone has said... leave it to the way I'm already doing it.

Thanks to you, and everyone else, for  taking time to respond, Dave

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 4:24 PM, CurtD <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

This is the way I look at it. Each line on the census tells of the events of the past year for each individual. The information was gathered from one person in the household, say the wife, husband was out in the field working, the kids were at school, the servants and boarders are not a part of the family anyway. For me having the census as a personal event makes more sense than a family event.
That's the nice thing about Gramps, they let you do it your way.

On 01/12/16 01:03, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> Maybe I'm the only that ever considered these as possible 'family'
> events, unlike other census records that enumerate individuals. I
> posed the question and so far everyone has said... leave it to the way
> I'm already doing it.

Only use family events for marriage, divorce, separation etc... Family
events exist to overcome a GEDCOM limitation.  Shared events are better
in most circumstances.