1911 Scottish Census

Brad Rogers
Hello All,

I notice that, in the Gramps Forms plugin, the 1911 Census for Scotland
has no definition.  So, being an enterprising chap (sometimes), I
decided to create one.  For some reason, it doesn't work.  So much so,
that when added to my custom.xml file, it 'kills' all the censuses,
meaning nothing is visible in the Forms Gramplet viewer at the bottom of
the screen.  Removing the definition returns everything to normal.

If anyone cares to look at it and figure out where I've gone wrong,
please do.  It's available at http://pastebin.com/amLn8Bns

Note: I'm aware it has no <?xml ...> header, but as that's already in my
custom.xml, there's no need to include it in the above form.

--
 Regards  _
Your father was a megalomaniac, you've got an insane brother

Re: 1911 Scottish Census

Kurt Caulley
Change
<form id='SC1911' type='Census' title='1911 SC Census' date='2 Apr 1911'> to <form id='SC1911' type='Census' title='1911 SC Census' date='1911-04-02'>

and

Change line 72 from <_attribute>Persons<_attribute> to <_attribute>Persons</_attribute>

see if that corrects the issue

Kurt

Re: 1911 Scottish Census

Brad Rogers
On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 05:36:02 -0800 (PST)
CurtD <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello CurtD,

>Change line 72 from <_attribute>Persons<_attribute> to
><_attribute>Persons</_attribute>

And we have a winner!  That was the error;  The date format wasn't/isn't
a problem (here, at least) as that is what is currently used in other
census form stanzas.

Thank you for your help - I'd gone cross-eyed looking for errors.  A
fresh set of eyes is often helpful.

Thanks again.

{time passes}

I've further tweaked the form since then, as it had a couple of
omissions and some of the columns were rather wider than necessary.
It's probably still not perfect, but even so....
Available here; http://pastebin.com/7sRqWQr3

--
 Regards  _
Keep your drink just give 'em the money

Re: 1911 Scottish Census

Gil da Costa

On 2017-01-14 16:33, Brad Rogers wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 05:36:02 -0800 (PST)
CurtD <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello CurtD,

Change line 72 from <_attribute>Persons<_attribute> to
<_attribute>Persons</_attribute>

And we have a winner!  That was the error;  The date format wasn't/isn't
a problem (here, at least) as that is what is currently used in other
census form stanzas.

Thank you for your help - I'd gone cross-eyed looking for errors.  A
fresh set of eyes is often helpful.

Thanks again.

{time passes}

I've further tweaked the form since then, as it had a couple of
omissions and some of the columns were rather wider than necessary.
It's probably still not perfect, but even so....
Available here; http://pastebin.com/7sRqWQr3

You can easily check that an XML file is syntactically correct: rename it as xxx.xml, and open it with any Web browser.

G.Da Costa

Re: 1911 Scottish Census

John Paton
Hi Brad,

Like you I created a Scottish 1911 Census form. I also have created form
definitions for entries in the Birth, Marriage and Death Registers in
Scotland post Statutory Registration in 1855. If these are of any
interest to you (if you haven't done your own) I would be happy to send
you a copy of these.

I have also created form definitions for Old Parish register entries for
Births/Baptisms and Banns/Marriages but they are of little usefulness
because the information in these records is so sparse and variable.

John Paton

Re: 1911 Scottish Census

Brad Rogers
On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 16:53:17 +0100
Gil da Costa <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Gil,

>You can easily check that an XML file is syntactically correct: rename
>it as xxx.xml, and open it with any Web browser.

Thanks for the tip.

I neglected to mention that I did try that, but could see nothing
amiss;  Many (most?) browsers are, understandably, quite forgiving of
minor errors.

--
 Regards  _
Watching the people get lairy

Re: 1911 Scottish Census

Brad Rogers
On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 16:01:44 +0000
John Paton <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello John,

>definitions for entries in the Birth, Marriage and Death Registers in
>Scotland post Statutory Registration in 1855. If these are of any
>interest to you (if you haven't done your own) I would be happy to send

Thank you for the offer John.  Personally, I don't use the Forms
gramplet for BMD entries (or PRs, come to that) - I find the
English/Welsh ones offered add too much info for my tastes.  I know I
could tweak them, but then I'd have to maintain them separately, and
have to remember to remove the standard ones every time an update came
along.

All of which sounds like too much work (to me).   :-)

--
 Regards  _
Now would I say something that wasn't true?