2.1.95-1 Questions

Jim Winfrey
Getting my database moved into this release has raised some questions.

Is there a way to save the Scratchpad between sessions?  I usually
load it up with the common elements for the editing project I'm
working on so if I can't do all the edits in one session, I have to
rebuild the scratchpad when I get back to it.

Where do we put nicknames now?  I notice that if I put them in the
Call Name field, some reports default to the Call Name and some don't.
 If I remember the scope of the Call Name field was to accomodate farm
names, etc.  So, is it appropriate to put nicknames in this field?

Up to 2.0-11, I used the Custom Filter feature to build reports and
searches like I wanted.  I can't find it in 2.1.95-1.  Is it still
there?

Thanks,

Jim

Re: 2.1.95-1 Questions

Alex Roitman
Jim,

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 12:10 -0400, Jim Winfrey wrote:
> Is there a way to save the Scratchpad between sessions?  I usually
> load it up with the common elements for the editing project I'm
> working on so if I can't do all the edits in one session, I have to
> rebuild the scratchpad when I get back to it.

At the moment, ScratchPad cannot be saved across sessions.
I am skeptical about adding this too. The ScratchPad only
makes sense in the context of a particular database, so if you
open another db then ScratchPad needs to be blank. Then comes
the question of how do we identify the databases? By name?
What if you rename yours? Move to another folder? The only
bullet-proof solution would be to save scratch pad in the
database itself. I am not sure whether we want to do that.

> Where do we put nicknames now?

In Attributes of a person.
Nickname is a standard personal attribute now. You can have
more than one nickname for a person this way.

>   I notice that if I put them in the
> Call Name field, some reports default to the Call Name and some don't.
>  If I remember the scope of the Call Name field was to accomodate farm
> names, etc.  So, is it appropriate to put nicknames in this field?

Not really. Call name is for official use in some European countries,
where your legal name may differ from the one you use all the time.

> Up to 2.0-11, I used the Custom Filter feature to build reports and
> searches like I wanted.  I can't find it in 2.1.95-1.  Is it still
> there?

Some reports do allow custom filters, e.g. Complete Individual report.
If I am not mistaken, Graphical reports are not yet converted to this.
It would be a big help if you could identify the reports that:
   1. Allow filter use
   2. Don't allow custom filters
Custom filters can be enabled very easily in the filter-using reports.
It's just a matter of trying every report and checking if custom filters
need to be added. Filing a bug report with the list of the reports to
fix would go a long way towards helping it. I really mean it:
   http://bugs.gramps-project.org

As for imports, GEDCOM will need to allow custom filters too.
Gerald already filed a bug on this, and I'll be looking at that soon:
   http://bugs.gramps-project.org/view.php?id=472

Finally, searches are already allowing custom filters:
   1. Enable Filter Sidebar (View menu)
   2. Select your custom filter from the Custom Filter menu
   3. Press "Find" button

Thanks,
Alex