2 sets of parents

Doug-11
Is it possible to enter two sets of parents for an individual?
I have two equally likely sets of parents for an ancestor; and I would
like to be able to enter both possibilities in the tree for the time
being (and trace their lines back), maybe indicating their probability,
until I find definitive evidence as to which is the true one. Can this
be done? and would there be any untoward consequences?

Doug

Re: 2 sets of parents

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:51:11 +0100
Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Doug,

> Is it possible to enter two sets of parents for an individual?

Yes.  In family view, select Add from the toolbar.  This opens a
dialogue box where another set of parents can be either selected from
existing people, or you can create new parents.

> I have two equally likely sets of parents for an ancestor; and I
> would like to be able to enter both possibilities in the tree for the

Frankly, I'd be disinclined to create two sets of parents but add a
note to the relevant individual saying that, without further research,
it's not possible to say which people are the correct parents.

> one. Can this be done? and would there be any untoward consequences?

Gramps can handle what you want to do, but it can be tricky making sure
you eradicate all incorrect family references later, when you determine
the "wrong" family and try to remove references them.

--
 Regards  _

Just stop and take a second
U & Ur Hand - Pink

Re: 2 sets of parents

Doug-11

Thanks, Brad. I
That's much as I guessed: I didn't want to embark on it and then find
I'd messed things up completely.

Doug

Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:51:11 +0100
> Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Doug,
>

>> Is it possible to enter two sets of parents for an individual?
>>

> Yes.  In family view, select Add from the toolbar.  This opens a
> dialogue box where another set of parents can be either selected from
> existing people, or you can create new parents.
>

>> I have two equally likely sets of parents for an ancestor; and I
>> would like to be able to enter both possibilities in the tree for the
>>

> Frankly, I'd be disinclined to create two sets of parents but add a
> note to the relevant individual saying that, without further research,
> it's not possible to say which people are the correct parents.
>

>> one. Can this be done? and would there be any untoward consequences?
>>

> Gramps can handle what you want to do, but it can be tricky making sure
> you eradicate all incorrect family references later, when you determine
> the "wrong" family and try to remove references them.

Re: 2 sets of parents

Brad Rogers
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 08:33:41 +0100
Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Doug,

> Thanks, Brad. I

You're welcome, Doug.

> That's much as I guessed: I didn't want to embark on it and then find
> I'd messed things up completely.

As long as you keep track of the changes, you should be okay.  In the
past, I did something similar, and it wasn't until I generated a report
about some of the people involved that I realised I'd got one person
assigned as offspring of two different mothers.

It took a while to unravel.  Mind you, that family was a nightmare;
The father married twice, to women both called Alice, born barely a
year apart, but in different parishes.  Figuring out which one was the
first wife and which the second was tricky because at different times
the women were recorded as being born in parishes other than the real
one.  Murphy's Law dictated that they were both recorded as both being
born in the same parish around the time wife #1 died.

All very complicated, and very, *very* confusing for me.

--
 Regards  _

This is the fifty first state of the USA
Heartland - The The