2 simple questions

Deborah Bennett
I am having trouble with two things that I think should be simple. I am running Gramps 4.0.4-1 on Ubuntu 14.04-LTS. (Yes, I know it's old.)

1) I want to edit my tag list. I open a Person page for someone, and on the right side of the header section there is a little tag button whose pop-up help ways "Edit the tag list". Yet all it does is bring me up a tag list with no way to add a new one. I searched the other menu pulldowns and couldn't find a place to edit the tag list.

2) From the Gramps header I chose Help->User Manual. This works fine and brings up the Gramps 4.0 manual in my open browser, in English. However, if I use the Search Gramps box in the upper right to attempt to search the manual, I get results from the 5.x manual in German as my top few hits. Is there a simple way to search just the Gramps 4.0 Englist manual? (Yes, I was attempting to search the manual for how to edit the tag list!)

Thanks,
-deborah bennett

Re: 2 simple questions

Philip Weiss
It's a little weird to find, but this is how I get to it (on 5.0.X but I think this is unchanged from 4.2.X)

Select Person view.
From the menu "Edit" select "Tag" submenu then select "Organize Tags".

Phil.
On Jan 3 2019, at 12:13 pm, Deborah Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Visit the 5.0 manual on tagging and see if it behaves the same in your earlier version

I've also found it easy to go to any promising manual page in any language, then choose the "English" language from there.  Much quicker than sorting through multitude of translated pages for the search result in English

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 14:16, Deborah Bennett
[...]

Untitled Download Attachment
Untitled (268 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: 2 simple questions

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Yup. It is. But we've got a tiny team of very talented programmers who donate their efforts to making Gramps better.

I'm not going to suggest they divert those skills to re-writing a part of the MediaWiki search tool.  Especially when it just costs me a few minutes AND the other language results reminds me how Gramps has to serve non-English needs too.

If anyone... other than our already overburdened Developers... knows anything about configuring MediaWiki backend to sort/filter search results by Language Preferences, great! It would be nice to have AND maybe a Language parameter could be embedded into the Help button. (Although it would need a failback to English if a translation for that feature doc doesn't exist.)

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 17:42, Deborah Bennett
> I've also found it easy to go to any promising manual page in any language, then choose the "English" language from there.  Much quicker than sorting through multitude of translated pages for the search result in English

Well, fine. But isn't that rather obscure? I'm imagining a new user of Gramps who selects the Help pulldown, chooses the manual, and then gets totally lost right away.

-deborah