3.0.3 on Ubuntu

Martin Ewing
Hello, all,

I recently switched from Fedora to Ubuntu 8.04, and I'm learning about deb package distributions.  The good news is that there are binary packages, and I don't have to resort to "make from source" anymore.  (Funny idea, making Python programs from source!)

So I ran "make uninstall", got the new .deb file, and installed it with the Package Installer.  All seems well, except it asks me if I really want to do this, because an older version is available in the "software channel" and such versions are generally "better supported."

I think I know what this means.  The Ubuntu Universe package is there -- but it is version 2.2.10-2.  I doubt that there is any "better support" for it, but the warning message might worry some people.

Would it be productive to nudge (someone?) about keeping the Ubuntu/Debian feeds more current?

Cheers,
Martin

--
Martin Ewing, AA6E
Branford, CT

Re: 3.0.3 on Ubuntu

Laura Mellen

> Subject: [Gramps-users] 3.0.3 on Ubuntu
>
> Hello, all,
>
> I recently switched from Fedora to Ubuntu 8.04, and I'm learning about deb package distributions.  The good news is that there are binary packages, and I don't have to resort to "make from source" anymore.  (Funny idea, making Python programs from source!)
>
> So I ran "make uninstall", got the new .deb file, and installed it with the Package Installer.  All seems well, except it asks me if I really want to do this, because an older version is available in the "software channel" and such versions are generally "better supported."
>
> I think I know what this means.  The Ubuntu Universe package is there -- but it is version 2.2.10-2.  I doubt that there is any "better support" for it, but the warning message might worry some people.
>
> Would it be productive to nudge (someone?) about keeping the Ubuntu/Debian feeds more current?
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

I had this happen as well. It was quite a while back but I was installing 3.0 on my Eee running Ubuntu Eee 8.04. I "knew" 3.0 GRAMPS would run on my Eee because it was an install I had done previously. Still, I was prompted with a warning that almost scared me off. The repository showed 2.2.10 but not 3.0. At the time I thought it was strange that 3.0 was not in the repository.

BTW, I have not tried any newer versions of GRAMPS than the 3.0 on my main computer or my Eee. I'm hesitant to mess up the current good thing I have going :)

Laura

Re: 3.0.3 on Ubuntu

Stéphane Charette-2
> Would it be productive to nudge (someone?) about keeping the Ubuntu/Debian
> feeds more current?

On launchpad, I once found a page that listed the top 5 package
requests for backport.

GRAMPS was on that page, though I no longer recall if it was #1, nor
can I find that page anymore.

Not much else we can do.

Stéphane

Re: 3.0.3 on Ubuntu

Martin Ewing

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Stéphane Charette <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Would it be productive to nudge (someone?) about keeping the Ubuntu/Debian
> feeds more current?

On launchpad, I once found a page that listed the top 5 package
requests for backport.

GRAMPS was on that page, though I no longer recall if it was #1, nor
can I find that page anymore.

Not much else we can do.

Stéphane

I did a little more checking and found that version 3 is in the Debian world -- http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gramps.html .  A version 3 gramps seems to be part of "Sid" (unstable) and "Lenny" (testing).

I suppose Ubuntu is downstream from Debian, so one waits... quite a long time! When/if things get backported to Ubuntu Hardy is still a mystery to me.

--
Martin Ewing, AA6E
Branford, CT

Re: 3.0.3 on Ubuntu

Benny Malengier
I think there is some misunderstanding.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=gramps

So 3.0.1 is in intrepid, and also in hardy backports. What more can we want? Activating the backports would give you access to newer GRAMPS in 8.04

If a user downloads 3.0.3 from our website, such a dialog should not scare him, as she will know why she is downloading the newer version in the first place.

Benny

2008/10/20 Martin Ewing <[hidden email]>

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Stéphane Charette <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Would it be productive to nudge (someone?) about keeping the Ubuntu/Debian
> feeds more current?

On launchpad, I once found a page that listed the top 5 package
requests for backport.

GRAMPS was on that page, though I no longer recall if it was #1, nor
can I find that page anymore.

Not much else we can do.

Stéphane

I did a little more checking and found that version 3 is in the Debian world -- http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gramps.html .  A version 3 gramps seems to be part of "Sid" (unstable) and "Lenny" (testing).

I suppose Ubuntu is downstream from Debian, so one waits... quite a long time! When/if things get backported to Ubuntu Hardy is still a mystery to me.

--
Martin Ewing, AA6E
Branford, CT

Re: 3.0.3 on Ubuntu

Martin Ewing
Benny,

It's simple after you understand, but not before...

I should have read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports, but I didn't know to do that until you said the magic word.

Thanks!

Martin