3.1.1 Failed for me on XP

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

3.1.1 Failed for me on XP

Edward Comer

I felt that 3.1.1 have settled enough to install it over my existing 3.0.4-1. Big mistake! It had an error whenever I opened anything with a date. I installed the date fix in the third-party section but the problem remained. I removed 3.1.1 and reinstalled 3.0.4-1. Unfortunately I didn't back up several hours worth of work done this afternoon, and that is gone. Oh well. I'll keep on using 3.0.4-1 as it is bug free. By the way I use XP SP3.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Gramps-windows mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-windows
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3.1.1 Failed for me on XP

Stephen George

Hi Ed,

Edward Comer wrote:
> I felt that 3.1.1 have settled enough to install it over my existing 3.0.4-1. Big mistake! It had an error whenever I opened anything with a date.
Can you post the error?

> I installed the date fix in the third-party section but the problem remained. I removed 3.1.1 and reinstalled 3.0.4-1. Unfortunately I didn't back up several hours worth of work done this afternoon, and that is gone. Oh well. I'll keep on using 3.0.4-1 as it is bug free. By the way I use XP SP3.
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's a good habit to backup (export) your DB before an upgrade, .. maybe
the installer needs a warning to that effect?

Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Gramps-windows mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-windows
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3.1.1 Failed for me on XP

Edward Comer

Just risky behavior on my part, I know better. What is the 3.1.1 status? I was surprised to see it fail.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Gramps-windows mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-windows
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3.1.1 Failed for me on XP

Stephen George
Hi Ed,

Edward Comer wrote:
> Just risky behavior on my part, I know better. What is the 3.1.1 status? I was surprised to see it fail.
>  
As far as I know there are no problems on XP.
I'm using it fine (I also upgraded from 3.0.4), I believe several other
people are using it.

If the application throws an exception, it would be helpful to record
that so someone can help find where things have failed.

Out of interest what version of python, pygtk, etc, are you using?

Steve




------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Gramps-windows mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-windows
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3.1.1 Failed for me on XP

Douglas S. Blank
In reply to this post by Edward Comer
> I felt that 3.1.1 have settled enough to install it over my existing
> 3.0.4-1. Big mistake! It had an error whenever I opened anything with a
> date. I installed the date fix in the third-party section but the problem
> remained. I removed 3.1.1 and reinstalled 3.0.4-1. Unfortunately I didn't
> back up several hours worth of work done this afternoon, and that is gone.
> Oh well. I'll keep on using 3.0.4-1 as it is bug free. By the way I use XP
> SP3.

You shouldn't lose any data no matter what you do. There are no known
problems that remain, so you either didn't install the date fix correctly,
or you found a new bug and didn't report it.

If you still have your data, I'd be glad to open if for you. Just contact
me off-list.

BTW, 3.0 is not bug free---neither is 3.1. But 3.1 has many more fixes
than 3.0.

-Doug

>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-windows mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-windows
>


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Gramps-windows mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-windows
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3.1.1 Failed for me on XP

Duncan Lithgow-5
In reply to this post by Edward Comer
2009/4/3 Edward Comer <[hidden email]>:
>
> I felt that 3.1.1 have settled enough to install it over my existing 3.0.4-1. Big mistake! It had an error whenever I opened anything with a date. I installed the date fix in the third-party section but the problem remained.

Did you add both the .py and the .xml file? Both are needed for the
date fix to work. I went through a lot of trouble with that.

Duncan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Gramps-windows mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-windows
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3.1.1 Failed for me on XP

Edward Comer
  1. OK. I uninstalled 2.0.4-1 and then installed 3.1.1.
  2. When I started Gramps it still showed the databases present.
  3. When I selected a database it advised that a conversion was required.
  4. This is where I failed before, so I exited and uninstalled 3.1.1.
  5. I then deleted the directory C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\gramps so as to get rid of the old databases.
  6. I reinstalled 3.1.1
  7. I recreated new databases by importing my previously saved .gpkg (I have 3)
Everything seems to work correctly this time!

This leads me to believe that the database conversion process is flawed - at least on the Windows port. In my opinion, when I do an install, it should have also deleted the C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\gramps folder. After all, that was created by Gramps and an uninstall should be complete!




------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Gramps-windows mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-windows

graps-dep.jpg (33K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3.1.1 Failed for me on XP

Duncan Lithgow-5
> I recreated new databases by importing my previously saved .gpkg (I have 3)
>
> Everything seems to work correctly this time!
>
> This leads me to believe that the database conversion process is flawed - at
> least on the Windows port. In my opinion, when I do an install, it should
> have also deleted the C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application
> Data\gramps folder. After all, that was created by Gramps and an uninstall
> should be complete!
It's normal in windows that uninstallin does not remove application
settings directories. Normally this is fine as any upgrade should work
flawlessly. But you're right that there have been some issues with the
database conversion. Make sure you do a check and repair on your new
db to make sure it's clean (you'll need that updated check.py and .xml
file)

hth, duncan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Gramps-windows mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-windows