3.2 in roadmap?

Re: GRAMPS Website

Nick Wallingford-2
My thoughts are that MediaWiki does very well for handling the
information that changes regularly and needs many users' contributions,
etc.

I don't see any real issues in creating x (where x<, say, 10...) pages
that might have many links into the wiki, and would where needed take
info from the wiki for inclusion (automated...)

I, too, would not really want to see reliance on too many modifications
to the wiki software that would (1) possibly need maintenance with each
upgrade or (2) possibly stop at some point in the future with changes to
the wiki software.

Static pages, maybe built with includes and heavily reliant on CSS,
would simply be providing a bit cleaner/simpler front end to the wiki.
And if you want a news page, send the user straight to the news page in
the wiki where it is easy to maintain...

I just can't see any *special* virtues in using the wiki to provide it
all, necessarily...

Nick

Jason Simanek wrote:

> Doug,
>
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Douglas S. Blank
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> there are config issues, and there is the look/design/maintenance of the
>> website. I think we can fix the config issues independently, so let's keep
>> that sparate for the moment.
>
> If possible, definitely.
>
>>> Also, after looking at the source code of the mono site, it doesn't look
>>> like they are using WikiMedia as a CMS.
>> I think that they are using WikiMedia. It looks to me like they have done
>> some very clever CSS to hide that fact. To quote Randy Newman: "I could be
>> wrong, but I don't think so." :)
>
> I looked at the page source on the Mono site and it doesn't seem to
> have the usual MediaWiki markup structure/tendencies. CSS can't hide
> the page source. However, I do see a JavaScript file linked called
> 'wikihacks.js', which might indicate that they are using MediaWiki as
> you suggest. I  guess I need to see how much flexibility there is to
> create a custom page template within MediaWiki.
>
>> I've gone that route before: I wrote a PHP frontend for a moinmoin
>> backend. See http://pyrorobotics.org/ for example. In the end, I wish that
>> I had done similar things via CSS.
>
> I want to use the most stable and automated solution that I am capable
> of creating. My fear of struggling to make the pages work from within
> MediaWiki is that it will take a huge hack to make it work. A hack
> that could be incompatible with future updates to MediaWiki. The PHP
> frontend that you mentioned may have been a situation like that. I
> don't know. A hack to use the MediaWiki CMS and a hack to NOT use the
> Media Wiki CMS are still both hacks.
>
>> Just my $.02... good luck!
>
> Thanks! Probably going to need it.
>
> Whatever the final solution is, it will be clever, stable, easy to
> maintain and pretty. I promise!
>
> -Jason

Re: GRAMPS Website

Duncan Lithgow-5
2009/1/21 Nick Wallingford <[hidden email]>:

> I, too, would not really want to see reliance on too many modifications
> to the wiki software that would (1) possibly need maintenance with each
> upgrade or (2) possibly stop at some point in the future with changes to
> the wiki software.
>
> Static pages, maybe built with includes and heavily reliant on CSS,
> would simply be providing a bit cleaner/simpler front end to the wiki.
> And if you want a news page, send the user straight to the news page in
> the wiki where it is easy to maintain...
>
> I just can't see any *special* virtues in using the wiki to provide it
> all, necessarily...

+1

Duncan

Re: GRAMPS Website

robhealey1
Greetings:

I know that I am certainly not a programming nor an html/css person, so I can't speak about the design/architecture or anything like it.  I do know that I like the premise of the idea.  I have also talked with many people about GRAMPS as a genealogy software and how wonderful it is...

I even promote the linux genealogy CD whereever I can...

I agree that a pretty face would be perfect!!!

Sincerely,
Rob

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> wrote:
2009/1/21 Nick Wallingford <[hidden email]>:
> I, too, would not really want to see reliance on too many modifications
> to the wiki software that would (1) possibly need maintenance with each
> upgrade or (2) possibly stop at some point in the future with changes to
> the wiki software.
>
> Static pages, maybe built with includes and heavily reliant on CSS,
> would simply be providing a bit cleaner/simpler front end to the wiki.
> And if you want a news page, send the user straight to the news page in
> the wiki where it is easy to maintain...
>
> I just can't see any *special* virtues in using the wiki to provide it
> all, necessarily...

+1

Duncan

Re: GRAMPS Website

Jason Simanek-2
On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 15:48 +0100, Jérôme wrote:
> I do not know why my web navigator is not able to properly display
> Gramps' wiki pages using [[Templates]] : main, devel or community portals !
>
> It is like a block problem (Capture.png).
> Is it related to css ? to wiki update ?

Sorry. I've spent some time figuring out the problem but WikiMedia is a
horrible kludge that I am struggling to understand. Seems like all of
the pages but the homepage are working correctly, so something has
changed with that template. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the CSS
stylesheets that are linked to. The links are different on the homepage
for some reason.

So far I have been unable to grok WikiMedia, but I hope to take another
look tonight. Sorry for the delay.

As for the other discussed updates, I'm outlining a plan and maybe an
initial design for that too.

-Jason Simanek

Re: GRAMPS Website

Jason Simanek-2
Sorry for the lack of progress on this. The usual full-time job and
freelance project distractions... this is in the back of my mind though.
I have a few questions and ideas:

1
Who's photo is our 'logo' made with? Would they be willing to supply me
with a higher quality scan of the image? I can either either doctor it
up in the GIMP to look fabulous OR I could create a highly-detailed
vector rendering of the image. The one on the site and the application
is just too fuzzy for my taste. In both cases it looks like it's been
scaled-up.

2
Since we're already using WordPress for the GRAMPS BLOG, I recommend
that we use a unified WordPress site to manage the content of this
proposed main site and the blog. This shouldn't take much convincing
since you've already agreed to allow the blog to be run by WordPress.
This way we will still only have a WordPress site and a WikiMedia site
to manage.

3
Posting the 'News' on the Wiki-site... is it just me or would it make
more sense to post this data through the new WordPress site instead? As
far as I can tell, we aren't providing a web-feed for the News right
now. All we have is a feed detailing every change to the wiki or at
least the homepage. A developer feed more than a user feed.

4
Two general site layouts that could be effective for our needs:

Openfiler    http://www.openfiler.com/
(too busy still, but I like the general feeling)

Ruby    http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/
(Nothing special, but the left-panel-download link is very direct)

That's all I got so far, but I think the planning for site structure
will be a big enough discussion and is extremely important.

-Jason Simanek

Re: GRAMPS Website

Benny Malengier
Don,

can you answer the first question of Jason. Do you have a higher quality picture?
I actually also don't know who it is, I suppose somebody related to you.

Benny

2009/2/25 Jason Simanek <[hidden email]>
[...]

ok for me.

3
Posting the 'News' on the Wiki-site... is it just me or would it make
more sense to post this data through the new WordPress site instead? As
far as I can tell, we aren't providing a web-feed for the News right
now. All we have is a feed detailing every change to the wiki or at
least the homepage. A developer feed more than a user feed.

right. Not sure how to get it in the wiki, but we could always copy/paste the text. We don't have much news going around.

4
Two general site layouts that could be effective for our needs:

Openfiler    http://www.openfiler.com/
(too busy still, but I like the general feeling)

Ruby    http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/
(Nothing special, but the left-panel-download link is very direct)

I really have no opinion.

Re: GRAMPS Website

Jason Simanek-2
On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 09:18 +0100, Benny Malengier wrote:
> 2009/2/25 Jason Simanek <[hidden email]>
>         2
>         Since we're already using WordPress for the GRAMPS BLOG, I
>         recommend that we use a unified WordPress site to manage the
>         content of this proposed main site and the blog.
>
> ok for me.

Great. I think this approach makes a lot of sense.

>         3
>         it make more sense to post [the news] through the new
>         WordPress site instead.
>
> right. Not sure how to get it in the wiki, but we could always
> copy/paste the text. We don't have much news going around.

There's probably a way to use the RSS feed of the News category as a
source of content on the wiki. However, I don't see why we even need to
bother. I think the two sites should be allowed to handle what they do
best. There will be certain content found on the wiki and certain
content found on the 'main site'.

I see the wiki as the home of documentation and all things
developer-related.

-Jason Simanek

Re: GRAMPS Website

Don Allingham
The picture is of my great-grandfather, Robert Allingham. This is the
best copy that I can find right now.

Don

On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 09:13 +0100, Benny Malengier wrote:

> [...]
>         Two general site layouts that could be effective for our
>         needs:
>
>         Openfiler    http://www.openfiler.com/
>         (too busy still, but I like the general feeling)
>
>         Ruby    http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/
>         (Nothing special, but the left-panel-download link is very
>         direct)
>

>         That's all I got so far, but I think the planning for site
>         structure
>         will be a big enough discussion and is extremely important.
>
>         -Jason Simanek

>         Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San
>         Francisco, CA
>         -OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open Sourcing
>         the Enterprise
>         -Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open source
>         participation
>         -Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the

Robert Allingham Sr..JPG (48K) Download Attachment

Re: GRAMPS Website

Jason Simanek-2
On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 14:29 -0700, Don Allingham wrote:
> The picture is of my great-grandfather, Robert Allingham. This is the
> best copy that I can find right now.

Thanks Don! If you ever find a higher quality image, great, but this is
still an improvement over what's on the site and the About window.

-Jason