Quantcast

4.0 beta

Benny Malengier
All,

I brought the roadmap of 4.0 from 70 to +90% the last 3 days.

If people don't start adding new 4.0 specific bugs the coming days, that would mean we are close to a real release.

Jerome, can when can you do a beta1 release?

Main issue is fixing http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6483 so that testers are sufficiently warned on opening database with newer bsddb.

Re: 4.0 beta

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Benny Malengier wrote
Main issue is fixing http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6483 so
that testers are sufficiently warned on opening database with newer bsddb.
And also http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6529, which is another instance of the same problem.

Tim.

Re: 4.0 beta

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Tim Lyons wrote

> Benny Malengier wrote
>> Main issue is fixing http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6483
>> so
>> that testers are sufficiently warned on opening database with newer
>> bsddb.
> And also http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6529, which is
> another instance of the same problem.

I have now fixed
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6483 and
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6529
in gramps34, gramps40 and trunk. Needs some more testing please.

Regards,
Tim.

Re: 4.0 beta

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Tim Lyons wrote
Benny Malengier wrote
Main issue is fixing http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6483 so
that testers are sufficiently warned on opening database with newer bsddb.
And also http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6529, which is another instance of the same problem.
I have now fixed
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6483 and
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6529

Needs more testing please.

Tim.

Re: 4.0 beta

jerome
Thanks!

I will test.

Note, if someone has an idea about something which looks like a timing
issue with database (primary maps and backup):

  File "/usr/share/gramps/gui/viewmanager.py", line 1024, in __backup
     backup(self.dbstate.db)
   File "/usr/share/gramps/gen/db/backup.py", line 89, in backup
     __do_export(database)
   File "/usr/share/gramps/gen/db/backup.py", line 124, in __do_export
     for (base, tbl) in __build_tbl_map(database):
   File "/usr/share/gramps/gen/db/backup.py", line 204, in __build_tbl_map
     ( PERSON_TBL, database.person_map.db),
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'db'

Gramps version: 3.4.2-1 (also on 3.3.x and I suppose 4.0)

http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6190

Le 02/04/2013 18:21, Tim Lyons a écrit :

> Tim Lyons wrote
>>
>> Benny Malengier wrote
>>> Main issue is fixing http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6483
>>> so
>>> that testers are sufficiently warned on opening database with newer
>>> bsddb.
>> And also http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6529, which is
>> another instance of the same problem.
>
> I have now fixed
> http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6483 and
> http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6529
>
> Needs more testing please.
>
> Tim.

Re: 4.0 beta

jerome
Can we reproduce it without python3?

> Note, if someone has an idea about something which looks
> like a timing
> issue with database (primary maps and backup):
>
>   File "/usr/share/gramps/gui/viewmanager.py", line
> 1024, in __backup
>      backup(self.dbstate.db)
>    File "/usr/share/gramps/gen/db/backup.py",
> line 89, in backup
>      __do_export(database)
>    File "/usr/share/gramps/gen/db/backup.py",
> line 124, in __do_export
>      for (base, tbl) in
> __build_tbl_map(database):
>    File "/usr/share/gramps/gen/db/backup.py",
> line 204, in __build_tbl_map
>      ( PERSON_TBL,
> database.person_map.db),
> AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'db'
>
> Gramps version: 3.4.2-1 (also on 3.3.x and I suppose 4.0)
>

> http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6190
>

> Le 02/04/2013 18:21, Tim Lyons a écrit :
> > Tim Lyons wrote
> >>
> >> Benny Malengier wrote
> database with newer
> >> And also http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6529,
> which is
> >> another instance of the same problem.
> >
> > I have now fixed
> > http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6483
> and
> > http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6529
> >
> > Needs more testing please.
> >
> > Tim.
> >

> > --
> Nabble.com.

> > Minimize network downtime and maximize team
> effectiveness.
> > Reduce network management and security costs.Learn how
> to hire
> > the most talented Cisco Certified professionals. Visit
> the
> > Employer Resources Portal
> > http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/employer_resources/index.html

Re: 4.0 beta

Benny Malengier

2013/4/3 jerome <[hidden email]>
Can we reproduce it without python3?

Error in 3.4 is not python3 related, and should not stop us from doing 4.0
Please make a bug ticket with how to reproduce.

Benny

> Note, if someone has an idea about something which looks
> like a timing
> issue with database (primary maps and backup):
>
>   File "/usr/share/gramps/gui/viewmanager.py", line
> 1024, in __backup
>      backup(self.dbstate.db)
>    File "/usr/share/gramps/gen/db/backup.py",
> line 89, in backup
>      __do_export(database)
>    File "/usr/share/gramps/gen/db/backup.py",
> line 124, in __do_export
>      for (base, tbl) in
> __build_tbl_map(database):
>    File "/usr/share/gramps/gen/db/backup.py",
> line 204, in __build_tbl_map
>      ( PERSON_TBL,
> database.person_map.db),
> AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'db'
>
> Gramps version: 3.4.2-1 (also on 3.3.x and I suppose 4.0)
>

> http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6190
>

> Le 02/04/2013 18:21, Tim Lyons a écrit :
> > Tim Lyons wrote
> >>
> >> Benny Malengier wrote
> database with newer
> >> And also http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6529,
> which is
> >> another instance of the same problem.
> >
> > I have now fixed
> > http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6483
> and
> > http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6529
> >
> > Needs more testing please.
> >
> > Tim.
> >

> > --
> Nabble.com.

> > Minimize network downtime and maximize team
> effectiveness.
> > Reduce network management and security costs.Learn how
> to hire
> > the most talented Cisco Certified professionals. Visit
> the
> > Employer Resources Portal
> > http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/employer_resources/index.html

Re: 4.0 beta

Sorry, my question about python3 was for:

http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6483
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6529

I wrote that 'I will test', but I do not use python3 yet...
So, if there is an alternate way for reproducing it, then I can already try to test fix. Otherwise, I will update my local SVN repository (with these fixes) and it will be more difficult to see what has been fixed!

Error in 3.4 is not python3 related, and should not stop us from doing 4.0
Please make a bug ticket with how to reproduce.

Benny

--- En date de : Mer 3.4.13, Jérôme <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> De: Jérôme <[hidden email]>

> Objet: Re: [Gramps-devel] 4.0 beta

> À: [hidden email]

> Date: Mercredi 3 avril 2013, 10h16

> Thanks!

> I will test.

> Note, if someone has an idea about something which looks

> like a timing

> issue with database (primary maps and backup):

>   File "/usr/share/gramps/gui/viewmanager.py", line

> 1024, in __backup

>      backup(self.dbstate.db)

>    File "/usr/share/gramps/gen/db/backup.py",

> line 89, in backup

>      __do_export(database)

>    File "/usr/share/gramps/gen/db/backup.py",

> line 124, in __do_export

>      for (base, tbl) in

> __build_tbl_map(database):

>    File "/usr/share/gramps/gen/db/backup.py",

> line 204, in __build_tbl_map

>      ( PERSON_TBL,

> database.person_map.db),

> AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'db'

> Gramps version: 3.4.2-1 (also on 3.3.x and I suppose 4.0)

> http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6190

> Le 02/04/2013 18:21, Tim Lyons a écrit :

> > Tim Lyons wrote

> >> Benny Malengier wrote

> database with newer

> >> And also http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6529,

> which is

> >> another instance of the same problem.

> > I have now fixed

> > http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6483

> and

> > http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6529

> > Needs more testing please.

> > Tim.

> > --

> Nabble.com.

> > Minimize network downtime and maximize team

> effectiveness.

> > Reduce network management and security costs.Learn how

> to hire

> > the most talented Cisco Certified professionals. Visit

> the

> > Employer Resources Portal

> > http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/employer_resources/index.html

> Minimize network downtime and maximize team effectiveness.

> Reduce network management and security costs.Learn how to

> hire

> the most talented Cisco Certified professionals. Visit the

> Employer Resources Portal

> http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/employer_resources/index.html

Employer Resources Portal

Re: 4.0 beta

Tim Lyons
Administrator
jerome wrote
Sorry, my question about python3 was for:

http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6483
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6529

I wrote that 'I will test', but I do not use python3 yet...
So, if there is an alternate way for reproducing it, then I can already try to test fix. Otherwise, I will update my local SVN repository (with these fixes) and it will be more difficult to see what has been fixed!
It is not really just related to changing to python3. The same problem will arise if you have two different versions of bsddb in python2, or a version of bsddb and one of bsddb3.

You can simulate some of the effects of the change by removing the bsdversion file (not sure the exact name just now) from the relevant grampsdb directory. And also test other parts of the change by changing the schema version, which happens when you go from gramps34 to gramps40 to trunk (or is it only one of those switches that causes a change in schema version?).

Some of the CLI operations would be a good place to start testing (also just to make sure it works properly when there is no change to bsddb version). But as I say in the bug report, exceptions raised when the database doesn't open properly in CLI have never been handled properly.

Regards,
Tim.

Re: 4.0 beta

jerome
> The same problem will arise if you have two different versions of bsddb in python2, or a version of bsddb and one of bsddb3.

Well, this will not be so easy to reproduce it under linux!
Check on dependencies might block this type of configuration.

It seems to me that bsddb is also often used by processes (packages
manager) or applications (PoEdit). And python language is like a
'desktop daemon' under Gnome (scripts, etc ...).

Not certain that I will be able to test before some days.
When do we plan 4.0 beta?

Jérôme

Le 04/04/2013 00:17, Tim Lyons a écrit :

> jerome wrote
>> Sorry, my question about python3 was for:
>>
>> http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6483
>> http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6529
>>
>> I wrote that 'I will test', but I do not use python3 yet...
>> So, if there is an alternate way for reproducing it, then I can already
>> try to test fix. Otherwise, I will update my local SVN repository (with
>> these fixes) and it will be more difficult to see what has been fixed!
>
> It is not really just related to changing to python3. The same problem will
> arise if you have two different versions of bsddb in python2, or a version
> of bsddb and one of bsddb3.
>
> You can simulate some of the effects of the change by removing the
> bsdversion file (not sure the exact name just now) from the relevant
> grampsdb directory. And also test other parts of the change by changing the
> schema version, which happens when you go from gramps34 to gramps40 to trunk
> (or is it only one of those switches that causes a change in schema
> version?).
>
> Some of the CLI operations would be a good place to start testing (also just
> to make sure it works properly when there is no change to bsddb version).
> But as I say in the bug report, exceptions raised when the database doesn't
> open properly in CLI have never been handled properly.
>
> Regards,
> Tim.

Re: 4.0 beta

Benny Malengier

2013/4/4 Jérôme <[hidden email]>
> The same problem will arise if you have two different versions of bsddb in python2, or a version of bsddb and one of bsddb3.

Well, this will not be so easy to reproduce it under linux!
Check on dependencies might block this type of configuration.

It seems to me that bsddb is also often used by processes (packages
manager) or applications (PoEdit). And python language is like a
'desktop daemon' under Gnome (scripts, etc ...).

Not certain that I will be able to test before some days.
When do we plan 4.0 beta?

Do you have time in the weekend?

Benny

Jérôme

Le 04/04/2013 00:17, Tim Lyons a écrit :
> jerome wrote
>> Sorry, my question about python3 was for:
>>
>> http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6483
>> http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6529
>>
>> I wrote that 'I will test', but I do not use python3 yet...
>> So, if there is an alternate way for reproducing it, then I can already
>> try to test fix. Otherwise, I will update my local SVN repository (with
>> these fixes) and it will be more difficult to see what has been fixed!
>
> It is not really just related to changing to python3. The same problem will
> arise if you have two different versions of bsddb in python2, or a version
> of bsddb and one of bsddb3.
>
> You can simulate some of the effects of the change by removing the
> bsdversion file (not sure the exact name just now) from the relevant
> grampsdb directory. And also test other parts of the change by changing the
> schema version, which happens when you go from gramps34 to gramps40 to trunk
> (or is it only one of those switches that causes a change in schema
> version?).
>
> Some of the CLI operations would be a good place to start testing (also just
> to make sure it works properly when there is no change to bsddb version).
> But as I say in the bug report, exceptions raised when the database doesn't
> open properly in CLI have never been handled properly.
>
> Regards,
> Tim.

Re: 4.0 beta

jerome