Quantcast

4.0

Benny Malengier
Jerome,

For 4.0.0, here a design for a release message. When do you plan 4.0.0, I see on bug list you mention Friday somewhere?

-----------
Version 4.0.0, the "The Miracle of Birth, has been released. This is a major release, don't upgrade before verifying your system can run it.

As one of the very first big ($5.4 million [1]), multi-platform (Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, ...), non-Gnome GTK applications, Gramps makes the jump to GTK 3.  At the same time python 2.7 and python 3 are supported, though the last must still be considered experimental. Gramps 4.0 further uses distutils for distribution, so the install sequence is changed.

The Gramps developers have tried to make Gramps 4.0 as identical as possible to 3.4, so no data changes are done, nor are there big interface changes. In other words, a .gramps backup file of version 4.0 will open without problems in Grarmps 3.4, giving users the possibility to fully try Gramps 4.0.

Don't be mistaken though, a huge amount of code is new and changed! In order to bring this release we thank the many developers who helped the GTK support on Mac, Windows and Linux forward. Note however, Gramps 4.0 will only work on a top of a very recent sortware stack. A Windows installer will probably not be available soon. In Linux current distro's don't contain the optional packages in the form Gramps 4.0 needs. All this should make clear you can safely keep using version 3.4 and wait for packagers to catch up. People who cannot upgrade the required components but want to use Gramps 4.0 should use it in Virtualbox [2]

Before Upgrade
===========

Before you upgrade, make sure your family tree data is secure. The best way to do this is:

  1. Start Gramps 3.4
  2. Open your family tree
  3. Export the family tree to the gramps xml format or the gramps xml package format (which includes your photographs and other media files associated with your family tree data). Export your tree via menu Family Trees->Backup....
  4. Close this family tree and repeat the above steps for any other family trees you have
  5. Keep the resulting file(s) in a safe place
Overview of big changes
=================
* Conversion to GTK 3 and use of gobject introspection [3]
* Support for python 3 [4]
* Code reorganization [5]
* Autotools is no longer used for building Gramps, distutils is used [6]
* Completely reworked localization handling

Overview of visible changes
====================
See screenshots on [7]
* The Gramplet view has been renamed Dashboard. This to avoid an overload of the word Gramplet, and to make it more clear to new users what can be expected in this view
* GTK 3 uses new themes, so users not on Gnome must set a nice GTK 3 theme to fully appreciate Gramps 4.0. Install a GTK 3 theme and set it. If Gramps looks ugly, you made an error in this step.
* Different sidebar navigators can be installed
* New Ancestor Fan Chart View and Descendant Fan Chart View, which offer a lot of insight in your family tree on a small space. Direct printing is available from these views.
* All wizards are reworked, so the exporter dialog, help and bug report dialog are different from version 3.4, but offer the same functions
* New To Do Gramplets listing all To Do Notes
* More reports support output in a different language than the interface language
* Narrative Web has been reworked to make it more stable.

Installation status
=============
1. OS X: Mac OS X will see an official installer shortly after release with all components
2. Linux: We expect Linux packages for different distributions. Gramps 4.0 will only work on distributions released since October 2012, use virtualbox for older distributions. Some optional dependencies are not available yet on most distribution at the time of release. If you want those, you need to install them from source, see Ubuntu derivatives walkthrough in the installation guide for these [8]. Specifically for Ubuntu derivatives spell checking, geography view and exiv image data require installation of source components.
3. Windows: Much work has been done the last months to obtain the stack needed for Gramps on Windows. At the moment only a rough guide on source installation is present [9]. We hope this will allow windows developers to construct an AIO installer as for the 3.4 version

[1] http://www.ohloh.net/p/gramps/estimated_cost
[2] https://www.virtualbox.org/
[3] http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_029:_GTK3-GObject_introspection_Conversion
[4] http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_031:_Python_3_support
[5] http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_008:_File_Organization
[6] http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_026:_Replace_%27make%27_for_Gramps_build
[7] http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.0_Wiki_Manual_-_What%27s_new%3F
[8] http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installation#Full_install_walkthrough_Ubuntu_derivatives
[9] http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Run_Gramps40_for_Windows_from_source_using_Python_2.7.3

Re: 4.0

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Benny Malengier wrote
[...]

(1) I agree that the timetable for release of 3.4.4 was less than desirable with many last minute changes.

To avoid that with 4.0.0, can I suggest that we have a more formal timetable for 4.0.0. For example, we could say:
(a) no more code changes after say 2359Z Sun 19th May 2013,
(b) and then a week to allow translation, so no more string changes after 2359Z Sun 26th May
(c) and then release thereafter.

These dates are just to illustrate the suggestion, and are not necessarily those you would want to go with.

I am not sure I see the hurry. For Linux, the important thing is when the 4.x series gets into the official distributions. With the problems of spell-checking, osmgpsmap and gexiv2 needing to be installed from source, I can't see that happening any time soon.

(2) I like the cheek of the estimated cost, but does the figure include only one copy of each file, rather than multiple copies, for example for superseded names and for versions of files. If we don't have any idea, this risks being a contentious figure that distracts attention from the release itself.

(3) As I have asked before, who is the release for? The walkthrough instructions are for installation from the svn, not from the stable tar or deb, so they are developer instructions, not user instructions.

I have the same problem with the instructions for gramps3.4.4 "We advise everybody on 3.x versions to upgrade to this latest and most stable of Gramps versions.". As a developer I know how to update my Ubuntu svn repository to the latest version and run that. But as a user, I run my Ubuntu Software Centre and get the current stable version of Gramps for that version of Ubuntu. But you say I should update to the latest version, and I don't know how to do that. (I am NOT saying this for effect - I am sincere. I suppose that I should somehow tell Software Centre to look in the stable Gramps repository for the latest version or tell Ubuntu apt-get which I suppose amounts to the same thing. But I really don't have any clear instructions as to what I should do or how to do it, and at the moment I don't feel inclined to investigate).

I have prepared:
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Template:Download
as a draft replacement for the Downloads page and also for the installation page, but I don't know what to say to users to update their Gramps.

Regards,
Tim.

By the way, at the moment Narrative Web is the same on 4.x as on 3.4.4 (because I am trying to do maintenance fixes in parallel) so I don't think your mention of Narrative Web is correct.

Re: 4.0

Nick Hall-6
On 15/05/13 09:28, Benny Malengier wrote:
> Specifically for Ubuntu derivatives spell checking, geography view and
> exiv image data require installation of source components.

A package (gir1.2-gexiv2-0.4) containing introspection data for the
GExiv2 library is available for 12.10 (quantal) and 13.04 (raring).

Re: 4.0

Benny Malengier

2013/5/15 Nick Hall <[hidden email]>
On 15/05/13 09:28, Benny Malengier wrote:
> Specifically for Ubuntu derivatives spell checking, geography view and
> exiv image data require installation of source components.

A package (gir1.2-gexiv2-0.4) containing introspection data for the
GExiv2 library is available for 12.10 (quantal) and 13.04 (raring).

But that does not work, we need 0.5

Re: 4.0

Tim,

We release source code, so release message is for that, however annoying users might find that. People following announce are not users, they are normally packagers. The main reason to notify users of releases is so they can start bugging their packagers for easy install methods.

We don't release lines packages, windows installers or mac bundles. We do include them on sourceforge if we are notified of their existence.

We need to hurry release instead of waiting, for following reasons:

1. I'm fed up waiting :-) Things need to move to keep a good feeling. We had several alpha and beta releases. We will not see drastically more testing by waiting. Some developers already run trunk instead of gramps40.

2. If we wait, it's not like packagers will actually feel pressure to do something. Many things have been fixed only at the moment Gramps developers start pushing, be it spell, osmgpsmap, ... . That's how the OSS release cycle seems to work for smaller projects that don't controll the entire stack. We don't need Ubuntu including our stuff, but we need Debian testing and archlinux and friends, as those do set a standard.

3. A windows package will only obtain momentum after release. We don't control that.

Benny

2013/5/15 Tim Lyons [via GRAMPS] <[hidden email]>
Benny Malengier wrote
[...]

http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/4-0-tp4660187p4660192.html
This email was sent by Tim Lyons (via Nabble)
To receive all replies by email, subscribe to this discussion

Re: 4.0

Nick Hall-6
On 15/05/13 12:04, Benny Malengier wrote:
A package (gir1.2-gexiv2-0.4) containing introspection data for the
GExiv2 library is available for 12.10 (quantal) and 13.04 (raring).

But that does not work, we need 0.5

It works for me!

The Metadata Viewer gramplet was converted and tested using this version.

Re: 4.0

Benny Malengier

2013/5/15 Nick Hall <[hidden email]>
On 15/05/13 12:04, Benny Malengier wrote:
A package (gir1.2-gexiv2-0.4) containing introspection data for the
GExiv2 library is available for 12.10 (quantal) and 13.04 (raring).

But that does not work, we need 0.5

It works for me!

The Metadata Viewer gramplet was converted and tested using this version.

Hmm, I tried on 13.04, and obtained error message on the console. Did not try the actual gramplet

Re: 4.0

On 15-05-13 12:25, Tim Lyons wrote:
> As a developer I know how to update my Ubuntu svn repository to the
> latest version and run that. But as a user, I run my Ubuntu Software
> Centre and get the current stable version of Gramps for that version
> of Ubuntu.

> But you say I should update to the latest version, and I don't know
> how to do that. (I am NOT saying this for effect - I am sincere. I
> suppose that I should somehow tell Software Centre to look in the
> stable Gramps repository for the latest version or tell Ubuntu apt-get
> which I suppose amounts to the same thing. But I really don't have any
> clear instructions as to what I should do or how to do it, and at the
> moment I don't feel inclined to investigate).
Right.

For FreeFileSync I receive regular updates via a launchpad PPA:

https://launchpad.net/freefilesync

The download instructions presented here work for me as a user, and I
assume that we can set up something similar for Gramps, as instructed here:

https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA

To be honest, I have no idea how difficult this is to setup, and whether
we need to use the existing launchpad Gramps account for that, or can
create a new account for this. What I do know is that the update
mechanism works for me, as I receive updates every few weeks, regardless
of Mint packaging policies.

regards,

Re: 4.0

About the cost estimate of gramps.
If you look on ohloh, it only tracks trunk:
http://www.ohloh.net/p/gramps/enlistments

So the estimate only contains code, and only trunk, and hence should be good according to the COCOMO http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COCOMO model

2013/5/15 Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]>
On 15-05-13 12:25, Tim Lyons wrote:
> As a developer I know how to update my Ubuntu svn repository to the
> latest version and run that. But as a user, I run my Ubuntu Software
> Centre and get the current stable version of Gramps for that version
> of Ubuntu.

> But you say I should update to the latest version, and I don't know
> how to do that. (I am NOT saying this for effect - I am sincere. I
> suppose that I should somehow tell Software Centre to look in the
> stable Gramps repository for the latest version or tell Ubuntu apt-get
> which I suppose amounts to the same thing. But I really don't have any
> clear instructions as to what I should do or how to do it, and at the
> moment I don't feel inclined to investigate).
Right.

For FreeFileSync I receive regular updates via a launchpad PPA:

https://launchpad.net/freefilesync

The download instructions presented here work for me as a user, and I
assume that we can set up something similar for Gramps, as instructed here:

https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA

To be honest, I have no idea how difficult this is to setup, and whether
we need to use the existing launchpad Gramps account for that, or can
create a new account for this. What I do know is that the update
mechanism works for me, as I receive updates every few weeks, regardless
of Mint packaging policies.

yes, this works good, but in the Gramps tradition the core developers don't do the packaging. We could start to do that, but then somebody needs to step forward and set up a PPA.
Looking at the direction Ubuntu is going, I don't know if a PPA will last more than 2 years. As always, it's a matter of the manpower behind it. Personally I'm content with the way of past: interested people making a package here and there for a distribution, which we pick up in sourceforge. I don't mind though if somebody would set up a fixed team for releases, be it ppa or AIOwindows. Such an effort should be sustained a couple of years though before we make big announcements already in the release notes.

Benny.

regards,

Re: 4.0

Note, it could be also available for 12.04LTS...

My current distribution is based on 12.04LTS and it is using a lot of specific 'Vala' apps (Shotwell, Geary, etc ...). So, a daily stream provides GExiv2 library, but by default (12.04LTS) binding might be based on a too old python-gi ... :(
I did not look in details, but it seems to be supported under my config without specific compilation!

Otherwise, under this distribution, I did not try to create a specific application based on pure python libs (gramps4)[1][2] yet, but at a glance it should be easy[3] via an extended set of widgets:

from gi.repository import Gtk
from gi.repository import Granite

etc ...

[1] http://elementaryos.org/docs/apis/granite
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/granite/+bugs?field.tag=python
[3] https://gist.github.com/zodman/4069349

> > Specifically for Ubuntu derivatives spell checking,
> geography view and
> > exiv image data require installation of source
> components.
>
> A package (gir1.2-gexiv2-0.4) containing introspection data
> for the
> GExiv2 library is available for 12.10 (quantal) and 13.04
> (raring).
>
> Nick.

> AlienVault Unified Security Management (USM) platform
> delivers complete
> security visibility with the essential security
> capabilities. Easily and
> efficiently configure, manage, and operate all of your
> security controls
> from a single console and one unified framework. Download a
> free trial.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/alienvault_d2d

Re: 4.0

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Benny Malengier wrote
We release source code, so release message is for that, however annoying
users might find that. People following announce are not users, they are
normally packagers. The main reason to notify users of releases is so they
can start bugging their packagers for easy install methods.

We don't release lines packages, windows installers or mac bundles. We do
include them on sourceforge if we are notified of their existence.

That's enormously helpful.

I was working on a more user oriented version of the download page, and with this guidance, I have now updated the page to reflect this philosophy.
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download
I think this still makes it clear that the official release is the source code, and the various packages, installers and bundles are provided by the community, but it does make it clear for the normal Aunt Martha user (who is probably on MS Windows anyway) how to get the program and how to install it.

The page is still much too big and busy, I wanted to do something more like [1] or [2] or nicest of all [3].

I don't like http://gramps-project.org/download/ because it just directs you to the sourceforge files page, and then the user has to know to go to the correct folder two levels down, and what to load from that folder, and then how to install it.

I am planning to change the Installation page (http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installation) to include the same template but also to contain (or refer to) the instructions for building from source (mainly for packagers and developers).

[1] http://infinitekind.com/downloads
[2] http://www.gnucash.org/
[3] http://www.greenfoot.org/download

Regards,
Tim.

Re: 4.0

Benny Malengier

[...]

Page could be formatted better indeed :-).
A page in the wordpress install instead of wiki would be nicer. Do you have login to gramps-project/wp-admin ?

Some remarks
1. for ubuntu, it would be nice to make already clear in the table that the sourceforge deb packages can be directly installed to upgrade. Just download and double click the file to upgrade gramps.

2. About gnome and kde:
"You can use both, but Gramps fits in better with GNOME "
Is this really true? I have never used Gnome, so can't judge, but I wouldn't know what I miss with KDE.

Benny

http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/4-0-tp4660187p4660203.html

On 15/05/13 14:31, Tim Lyons wrote:

> I was working on a more user oriented version of the download page, and with
> this guidance, I have now updated the page to reflect this philosophy.
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download
> I think this still makes it clear that the official release is the source
> code, and the various packages, installers and bundles are provided by the
> community, but it does make it clear for the normal Aunt Martha user (who is
> probably on MS Windows anyway) how to get the program and how to install it.
>

> The page is still much too big and busy, I wanted to do something more like
> [1] or [2] or nicest of all [3].

I think you have made a very good start.

I like the clear sections on the Moneydance site.  The OS icons are nice
on the GnuCash page.

The Greenfoot site has nice graphics.  We could have a "Pure Python"
option for any OS, and we also have a Stand Alone version.

I agree with Benny's comments.  When I go to a download page for Linux,
I expect to find a deb, rpm and tgz file.  I don't need instructions on
how to install from the repository.

Re: 4.0

Paul Franklin-5
On 5/15/13, Tim Lyons <[hidden email]> wrote:
> To avoid that with 4.0.0, can I suggest that we have a more formal
> timetable
> for 4.0.0. For example, we could say:
> (a) no more code changes after say 2359Z Sun 19th May 2013,
> (b) and then a week to allow translation, so no more string changes after
> 2359Z Sun 26th May

I suggest the order should be reversed: first a string
freeze and then (a week later? two?) a code freeze.

Re: 4.0

Paul Franklin-5
On 5/15/13, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I suggest the order should be reversed: first a string
> freeze and then (a week later? two?) a code freeze.

In fact, I suggest we are /already in/ the "string freeze."

Re: 4.0

Benny Malengier

2013/5/15 Paul Franklin <[hidden email]>
On 5/15/13, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I suggest the order should be reversed: first a string
> freeze and then (a week later? two?) a code freeze.

In fact, I suggest we are /already in/ the "string freeze."

Yes!

Obviously, blocking bugs can still be fixed, also if they need a string change, but they should be clearly mailed to the devel-list, and have a bug ticket. And the new string avoided if possible.

Re: 4.0

working PPA(s) under my config:

* https://launchpad.net/~elementary-os/+archive/daily
* https://launchpad.net/~elementary-os/+archive/unstable-upstream

https://launchpadlibrarian.net/125919593/gexiv2_0.5.0-0ubuntu1~precise1_source.changes

https://launchpadlibrarian.net/136938263/gexiv2_0.6.1-0ubuntu1~precise1_source.changes

-----La pièce jointe associée suit-----

http://p.sf.net/sfu/alienvault_d2d
-----La pièce jointe associée suit-----

Re: 4.0

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Benny Malengier wrote
Page could be formatted better indeed :-).
Are you referring to [1] or [2]
[1] http://gramps-project.org/download/
[2] http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download

Benny Malengier wrote
A page in the wordpress install instead of wiki would be nicer. Do you have
login to gramps-project/wp-admin ?
No!

Tim.

Re: 4.0

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Benny Malengier wrote
Some remarks
1. for ubuntu, it would be nice to make already clear in the table that the
sourceforge deb packages can be directly installed to upgrade. Just
download and double click the file to upgrade gramps.
Nick Hall-6 wrote
I agree with Benny's comments.  When I go to a download page for Linux,
I expect to find a deb, rpm and tgz file.  I don't need instructions on
how to install from the repository.
Does double-clicking on the sourceforge deb package install all the dependencies? Does it do the "python setup.py build" thing? Does it install Gramps over the top of the old Gramps or does it install it somewhere else? Does it link the newly installed Gramps to the Gramps icon on the unity launch bar?

(for example, if upgrading Debian Squeeze from Gramps 3.2.3 or something else from Gramps 2.x, I expect that there are new dependencies (if only PyICU) - are the dependencies installed? They are installed if I use Ubuntu Software Centre to install Gramps).

I dare say that you, Nick, don't need instructions, but surely at least some of the Gramps wiki pages are intended for users and not developers? I did a search for .deb and for .rpm, and couldn't find anything except under the Debian page on creating a .deb. If we expect users to use .deb packages to upgrade, we should be telling them how to. I will work on the pages, if someone will answer my questions above!

Benny Malengier wrote
2. About gnome and kde:
"You can use both, but Gramps fits in better with GNOME "
Is this really true? I have never used Gnome, so can't judge, but I
wouldn't know what I miss with KDE.
I think I will delete that bit - I don't think it is at all important.

Thanks,
Tim.