4.1.3 python3-bsddb3 dependency problem

enno
Devs,

Today I installed the Python 3 Gramps 4.1.3 .deb on a fresh Linux Mint
17.1 installation, and noticed that it didn't start from the menu. In
terminal it told that Python-bsddb3 was not installed, and when I
installed the package with that name, it still didn't work, because it
needed python3-bsddb3.

In most cases when I install from .deb I think that the package manager
knows about the dependencies, but here it went wrong. Can this be cured?
We can add some text to the wiki, since a deb install is for advanced
users only, but I'd prefer this to work better automatically.

regards,

Re: 4.1.3 python3-bsddb3 dependency problem

Ross Gammon
On 06/13/2015 02:33 PM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

> Devs,
>
> Today I installed the Python 3 Gramps 4.1.3 .deb on a fresh Linux Mint
> 17.1 installation, and noticed that it didn't start from the menu. In
> terminal it told that Python-bsddb3 was not installed, and when I
> installed the package with that name, it still didn't work, because it
> needed python3-bsddb3.
>
> In most cases when I install from .deb I think that the package manager
> knows about the dependencies, but here it went wrong. Can this be cured?
> We can add some text to the wiki, since a deb install is for advanced
> users only, but I'd prefer this to work better automatically.
>
> regards,
>
> Enno
Hi Enno,

The debian/control file is missing a "Depends:" on python3-bsddb3:

Package: python3-gramps
Source: gramps
Version: 4.1.3
Architecture: all
Maintainer: Ross Gammon <[hidden email]>
Installed-Size: 36321
Depends: gir1.2-gtk-3.0, librsvg2-2, python3-gi, python3-gi-cairo, xdg-utils
Recommends: graphviz, libosmgpsmap-1.0-0-dev, python3-pyicu
Suggests: fonts-freefont-ttf, gir1.2-gexiv2-0.4,
gir1.2-gtk-gtkspell3-3.0, python3-pil, rcs
Section: python
 GRAMPS is an Open Source genealogy program written in Python, using
 the GTK/GNOME interface. It is an extremely flexible program fitting
 the needs for both the amateur genealogist and serious genealogical
 researcher.
 GRAMPS has the ability to import GEDCOM files exported from many
 proprietary genealogy programs and can produce a large number of
 reports in many popular formats.

After the recent decision for Gramps 4.2 to be Python 3 only, there will
be no need for Jerome to build a version for both pythons, and we can
bring the debian directory closer to what I am actually using in Debian.

Regards,

Ross

Re: 4.1.3 python3-bsddb3 dependency problem

Hans Ulrich Frink-2
The same problem with missing bsddb3 occures when installing on windows.
cheers
Uli

On 06/13/2015 02:33 PM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
> Devs,
>
> Today I installed the Python 3 Gramps 4.1.3 .deb on a fresh Linux Mint
> 17.1 installation, and noticed that it didn't start from the menu. In
> terminal it told that Python-bsddb3 was not installed, and when I
> installed the package with that name, it still didn't work, because it
> needed python3-bsddb3.
>
> In most cases when I install from .deb I think that the package manager
> knows about the dependencies, but here it went wrong. Can this be cured?
> We can add some text to the wiki, since a deb install is for advanced
> users only, but I'd prefer this to work better automatically.
>
> regards,
>
> Enno

Hi Enno,

The debian/control file is missing a "Depends:" on python3-bsddb3:

Package: python3-gramps
Source: gramps
Version: 4.1.3
Architecture: all
Maintainer: Ross Gammon <[hidden email]>
Installed-Size: 36321
Depends: gir1.2-gtk-3.0, librsvg2-2, python3-gi, python3-gi-cairo, xdg-utils
Recommends: graphviz, libosmgpsmap-1.0-0-dev, python3-pyicu
Suggests: fonts-freefont-ttf, gir1.2-gexiv2-0.4,
gir1.2-gtk-gtkspell3-3.0, python3-pil, rcs
Section: python
 GRAMPS is an Open Source genealogy program written in Python, using
 the GTK/GNOME interface. It is an extremely flexible program fitting
 the needs for both the amateur genealogist and serious genealogical
 researcher.
 GRAMPS has the ability to import GEDCOM files exported from many
 proprietary genealogy programs and can produce a large number of
 reports in many popular formats.

After the recent decision for Gramps 4.2 to be Python 3 only, there will
be no need for Jerome to build a version for both pythons, and we can
bring the debian directory closer to what I am actually using in Debian.

Regards,

Ross

Re: 4.1.3 python3-bsddb3 dependency problem

jerome
> "it told that Python-bsddb3 was not installed"

Note a minor change[1] has been commited on master!
Under 4.1.x we could have python-bsddb3... #python2

The displayed message is maybe more clear on 4.2 branch.

[1] https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/commit/4a06f9c0e307ef95b813ec79d97104e8433c2741

En date de : Sam 13.6.15, Hans Ulrich Frink <[hidden email]> a écrit :

 Objet: Re: [Gramps-devel] 4.1.3 python3-bsddb3 dependency problem
 À: "Ross Gammon" <[hidden email]>
 Cc: "gramps-devel" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Samedi 13 juin 2015, 21h15

 The same

 Homepage: http://www.gramps-project.org/

[...]

 -----La pièce jointe associée suit-----

Re: 4.1.3 python3-bsddb3 dependency problem

Hallo Uli,
> The same problem with missing bsddb3 occures when installing on windows.
Can you explain? I see no Python 3 AIO on SourceForge, so I only know
the Python 2 installation there, which works fine.

Do you mean that a missing bsddb3 prevents creating a Python 3 AIO?

cheers,