4.2.0 Bugfix, new Gramplet, Translation

Christian Schulze
Hi there,

I (might) have some minor bugs in the 4.2.0 tag, partially reuseable
modifications/extensions of the gedcom import, and new
gramplet/GeoGraphyView. So I wanted to know how I can commit/contribute
some of that.

I started working on the gramps source last week to adapt the program to
my/our needs. I migrated a database with approx. 8000 individuals from
Daubnet Ages.

I had to change some files in the 4.2.0 tag (view/pedigreeview,
gen/lib/place and lib/maps/placeselection) to fix some crashes/errors.
Since I'm not familiar with the code, somebody should crosscheck the
changes or tell me what else to do.

I changed several things in the libgedcom import routine, not all of
them are usefull for other users. I have implemented some workarounds
that may cause problems with other databases, but some of it might be of
interest.

I wrote a Gramplet and a GeoGraphyView, which require geopy. I don't
know yet how to make sure that geopy is installed and how to
automatically translate all of the buttons or provide a custom
translation file (make.py is for versions pre 4.2.0?). I use the _()
function (I think it is sgettext()) but the translation is incomplete or
wrong.

In case of an error or some breakpoint in code that was triggered by a
gui-signal, the main window seems to be always on top - which seemed to
be irreversable. However, that seemed to be part of a discussion I
didn't follow.
The current Version of gi (pygi-aio-3.14.0_rev19-setup) doesnt work
correctly, some problem with the GExiv2 Metadata attribute that is
independent of gramps. Can you tell me which version should work correctly?
I'm working with SVN but rarely with GIT. I have created a GitHub
account, but since I didn't use it yet I just know my username (CWSchulze).

Best regards,
Christian

Re: 4.2.0 Bugfix, new Gramplet, Translation

Nick Hall
Christian,

Welcome to Gramps.

It is probably easiest to submit GitHub pull requests for the bugs.

If your gramplet is ready to be made public, we can give you write
permission to the addons repository.  You don't have to do the
translations yourself.  I'm sure that some of the developers will be
happy to test it for you.

We use GExiv2 for the metadata viewer gramplet in the media view.
Version 0.5 or greater is required.

Feel free to ask for help if you need it.