5.0.0-alpha3

Paul Franklin-5
Since it's been over six weeks since 5.0.0-alpha2 was released,
and since I think one of the purposes of alpha releases is to get
them out into the hands of potential testers somewhat often, does
anybody know of any reason why I shouldn't start working on doing
"my end" of it?  Anybody working on a bug fix for instance?

I say "my end" since the wiki page is said to be inaccurate:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=What_to_do_for_a_release

and nobody who understands what it should say (not me)
has apparently had the time to update it.

So as before, if I start doing an alpha3 release then again
somebody else will have to finish making the release.

Plus of course this means the help I got last time, to
move and make things on the bug tracker, as well as
to make the Debian, Mac, and Windows packages.

Any comments?

Re: 5.0.0-alpha3

John Ralls-2
I will not be able to do a Mac bundle until the end of next month.

Regards,
John Ralls

> On Jul 25, 2017, at 1:07 AM, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Since it's been over six weeks since 5.0.0-alpha2 was released,
> and since I think one of the purposes of alpha releases is to get
> them out into the hands of potential testers somewhat often, does
> anybody know of any reason why I shouldn't start working on doing
> "my end" of it?  Anybody working on a bug fix for instance?
>
> I say "my end" since the wiki page is said to be inaccurate:
>
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=What_to_do_for_a_release
>
> and nobody who understands what it should say (not me)
> has apparently had the time to update it.
>
> So as before, if I start doing an alpha3 release then again
> somebody else will have to finish making the release.
>
> Plus of course this means the help I got last time, to
> move and make things on the bug tracker, as well as
> to make the Debian, Mac, and Windows packages.
>
> Any comments?

Re: 5.0.0-alpha3

Paul Franklin-5
On 7/25/17, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I will not be able to do a Mac bundle until the end of next month.

Then we'll have to depend on our Windows and linux users to
test things -- and hope there are no Mac-specific bugs.  8-)

Re: 5.0.0-alpha3

On 25/07/17 09:07, Paul Franklin wrote:
> Anybody working on a bug fix for instance?

Yes.  I'm working on a couple of changes.

Perhaps we can release 4.2.6 first and then 5.0-alpha3 next week?

On 7/25/17, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Perhaps we can release 4.2.6 first and then 5.0-alpha3 next week?

Since you put a question mark after that,
I'll comment that it sounds fine to me.

Re: 5.0.0-alpha3

John Ralls-2

> On Jul 25, 2017, at 10:52 AM, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 7/25/17, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I will not be able to do a Mac bundle until the end of next month.
>
> Then we'll have to depend on our Windows and linux users to
> test things -- and hope there are no Mac-specific bugs.  8-)

The only Mac-specific bug is an interaction between Gtk and the newer SDK I'm using for 5.0: imquartz is broken and breaks text input completely when run from a bundle.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: 5.0.0-alpha3

"Alois Pöttker"
Paul,

I've finished today on my actually code pieces Clone event, #427, and Extend Pro-Gen importer II, #437.
It would be great if you can include them into 5.0.0-alpha3.
If you can wait shortly longer (and some senior dev. commit the above code) I can deliver the German translation too.

KR
Alois

On 7/26/17, "Alois Pöttker" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've finished today on my actually code pieces Clone event, #427, and Extend
> Pro-Gen importer II, #437.
> It would be great if you can include them into 5.0.0-alpha3.

I believe we are past the point where enhancements and
new features may be put into the gramps50 "maintenance"
branch.  In general, "maintenance" branches only get bug
fixes.  Enhancements and new features go into master.

We all have work we have done, which we want to include
in the "next" gramps, but there is a tradeoff between such
a desire and possibly introducing new problems -- which
may not be discovered before a new gramps is released.

We have made that mistake in the past, which users then
noticed -- and were inconvenienced by, until a new gramps
could be released, which fixed things.

Such changes also divert our (collective) effort, which should
be aimed at testing gramp50 as much as we can, trying out
everything possible, and then fixing any problems.

But I am not our administrator and don't make decisions
which may possibly override established procedures.  (Nor
do I commit pull requests, for different reasons.)  Any such
decision will be made by Nick, if and when he commits your
pull requests.

Thank you for helping make gramps better.

> If you can wait shortly longer (and some senior dev. commit the above code)
> I can deliver the German translation too.

Thank you for the offer but I suggest you coordinate any
German translating with our existing German translator.

Re: 5.0.0-alpha3

Nick Hall
On 26/07/17 19:32, Paul Franklin wrote:
> I believe we are past the point where enhancements and
> new features may be put into the gramps50 "maintenance"
> branch.  In general, "maintenance" branches only get bug
> fixes.  Enhancements and new features go into master.

Correct.

> We all have work we have done, which we want to include
> in the "next" gramps, but there is a tradeoff between such
> a desire and possibly introducing new problems -- which
> may not be discovered before a new gramps is released.
>
> We have made that mistake in the past, which users then
> noticed -- and were inconvenienced by, until a new gramps
> could be released, which fixed things.
>
> Such changes also divert our (collective) effort, which should
> be aimed at testing gramp50 as much as we can, trying out
> everything possible, and then fixing any problems.

Very good point.

Re: 5.0.0-alpha3

"Alois Pöttker"
Thats fair enough.
Everyone loves stable products, we can merge both in master.
Reg. Leon - we're in sync.

KR
Alois
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 26. Juli 2017 um 20:32 Uhr