Quantcast

64 bit and Windows 8

John
Thank you for your helpful advice
Apologies for this being a new email - I have not managed to work out how to continue the thread as my view of the archive is 'read only'.  Perhaps someone could give me a hint on this?

I have successfully upgraded Gramps to version 3.4.2-1 on both the desktop and the laptop.  This version seems to load the programme more quickly, but the import of the database from the memory stick into the programme seems rather slower.

Also, I have another query:
To recap, I use a desktop and a laptop, transferring the database between the two on a memory stick via the export and import functions, because I work on it in two separate locations.
I want to start adding Media (and I have many items) to the database on the desktop, attaching them variously to people, events, and places.  I know I can export the database to the memory stick without the media files and then import to the laptop where I will continue to edit and add to the records.  When I transfer the revised database back to the desktop it will be imported into a new family tree.  But this new family tree will not have the media files.
My objective is to work on the database on the two machines, but retain the media files on the version in the desktop only, as the database including the media files will be too large and slow to transfer each time on a regular basis.
My questions are:
01. Is there a way to transfer the media files from the old family tree on the desktop to the new one after importing the revised database from the laptop, retaining the appropriate attachment for each?
02. When I transfer the revised database, is there a way to import only the changes into the existing family tree on the desktop (that still has the media files in it)?
03. Could this be achieved using synchronisation software?
04. Any other suggestions for achieving the objective?

Many thanks and best regards
John

Re: 64 bit and Windows 8

Jeff Hunt
Hi John,
I hope this will be confirmed by people more comfortable with Gramps
than I am, but I have done what you are doing and it has not been a
problem.
The file path to media is 'hard-wired' onto the people that reference
that media, so a number of different 'Family Trees' should be able to
reference the same media.

For instance if grandpa has a picture of a birth certificate at
/this/is/a/file/path then as long as that picture remains there is
should be shown.

There is a very effective media path tool for repairing/changing file
paths if things have changed or moved for any reason.

I think the answer to point two is 'no' and the others are unnecessary.

Merry x and Happy ny.

On 26/12/2012, John Tea <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for your helpful advice
> Apologies for this being a new email - I have not managed to work out how to
> continue the thread as my view of the archive is 'read only'.  Perhaps
> someone could give me a hint on this?
>
> I have successfully upgraded Gramps to version 3.4.2-1 on both the desktop
> and the laptop.  This version seems to load the programme more quickly, but
> the import of the database from the memory stick into the programme seems
> rather slower.
>
> Also, I have another query:
> To recap, I use a desktop and a laptop, transferring the database between
> the two on a memory stick via the export and import functions, because I
> work on it in two separate locations.
> I want to start adding Media (and I have many items) to the database on the
> desktop, attaching them variously to people, events, and places.  I know I
> can export the database to the memory stick without the media files and then
> import to the laptop where I will continue to edit and add to the records.
> When I transfer the revised database back to the desktop it will be imported
> into a new family tree.  But this new family tree will not have the media
> files.
> My objective is to work on the database on the two machines, but retain the
> media files on the version in the desktop only, as the database including
> the media files will be too large and slow to transfer each time on a
> regular basis.
> My questions are:
> 01. Is there a way to transfer the media files from the old family tree on
> the desktop to the new one after importing the revised database from the
> laptop, retaining the appropriate attachment for each?
> 02. When I transfer the revised database, is there a way to import only the
> changes into the existing family tree on the desktop (that still has the
> media files in it)?
> 03. Could this be achieved using synchronisation software?
> 04. Any other suggestions for achieving the objective?
>
> Many thanks and best regards
> John

Re: 64 bit and Windows 8

2012/12/26 John Tea <[hidden email]>
My questions are:
01. Is there a way to transfer the media files from the old family tree on the desktop to the new one after importing the revised database from the laptop, retaining the appropriate attachment for each?

No need to move media files as Jeff says, Gramps only stores the path to the media files, you need to manage those files yourself with the file explorer.
The simplest way is to use Edit->Preferences and set a base media path. Then use relative media paths (the media manager tool can convert from absolute to relative path).

02. When I transfer the revised database, is there a way to import only the changes into the existing family tree on the desktop (that still has the media files in it)?

No. This is something we would like to build, but is a very difficult technical thing to do correct. Manual intervention might also be needed. Our main problem is that records have a time stamp in Gramps (see the changed column you can have on the people and other views), but this is too general as it is the change of the entire record, while we would like something more fine grained.

03. Could this be achieved using synchronisation software?

Synchronization on the database is possible, but only while the database is not running, so while Gramps is not running. People are running the database from a Dropbox instance (see family tree/database path in the Preferences), which essentially is a synchronisation layer. You have to have a very well defined workflow to make that work though (so as to avoid collisions).

04. Any other suggestions for achieving the objective?

Best is to keep local backups of the grampsdb directory, keep regular export to .gramps to have some versioning, and to use the .gramps to move between computers. If you move a lot, then it is worthwhile to or:
1/ use the cloud to store your databases, eg dropbox
2/ use a 16 Gb or so usb stick to store your database.
These are easy to do, just make sure in the preferences your database path points to the cloud or to the usb stick. Gramps versions must be identical on both computers!
Usb stick is perhaps a bit tricky in that the fail is higher and you must make sure to safely remove it every time. So I would combine usb-stick with local .gramps files you store. If the usb-key swapping fails, you revert back to the saved .gramps files.

Re: 64 bit and Windows 8

John
Thank you for your advice.
Using the relative media path works well and I can do exactly what I want.

Some follow up questions
If I want to send the family tree to some one else:
01. Do I leave the media path as relative or do I need to set it back to absolute?
02. I assume I should export as Gramps XML Package (family tree and media) to send or transfer?
03. Do I need to download / transfer / upload separately the media files?
04. If the answer to 03 is 'no', where will the media files be in the other person's machine?
05. To accommodate the media, does the other person have to set up the exact folder structure that I have?

Many thanks and best regards
John

Re: 64 bit and Windows 8

Benny Malengier

2012/12/31 j2t2 <[hidden email]>
Thank you for your advice.
Using the relative media path works well and I can do exactly what I want.

Some follow up questions
If I want to send the family tree to some one else:
01. Do I leave the media path as relative or do I need to set it back to
absolute?
02. I assume I should export as Gramps XML Package (family tree and media)
to send or transfer?

If you send as xml, then it does not matter how the media path is. If you send as xml package, then Gramps will make it so that everything becomes relative with respect to where the package will extract the media. If you leave everything as relative, this will be easiest, as Gramps will on import of the package only change the relative media path to where the media is extracted. Try it :-)

03. Do I need to download / transfer / upload separately the media files?
04. If the answer to 03 is 'no', where will the media files be in the other
person's machine?

With a package, the media will be extracted to a directory in the home directory. Try it on your machine, it is straightforward.

05. To accommodate the media, does the other person have to set up the exact
folder structure that I have?

Gramps will do that automatically with the package.

benny