7595: Re: [Gramps-users] FOLLOW-UP: Re: Transferring filters

7595: Re: [Gramps-users] FOLLOW-UP: Re: Transferring filters

Douglas Bainbridge
On 18/09/14 10:34, Douglas Bainbridge wrote:

> Enno,
>
> On 17/09/14 13:31, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
>> Doug,
>>> There's just this curious question remaining: why should
>>> running a particular (media) filter in 3.4.8 (python2)
>>> make it incompatible with 4.1.1 (python3)?
>> My simple answer is that it should not, so I classify it
>> as a bug. That's why I like to test this with a 4.1.1 on
>> Python 2. Can you help with that?
>>
>> I run and develop 3.4.8 on the Ubuntu based Mint, and
>> occasionally run 4.1 from source to help others. And when
>> you run from source, it should be quite easy to check out
>> where the problems come from. I'm not that good with
>> filters myself, but for a media filter, file paths may be
>> part of the cause.
>>
>> Your use of Mint Debian suggests that you're technically
>> equipped to run Gramps from source, and work with us on
>> a bug report, and maybe this is similar to this report
>> which looks like yours:
>>
>> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7595
>>
>> I have no idea whether Mint Debian still has Python 2 on
>> it, but if it's not, I can simply copy your filter to my
>> PC to give this a try.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Enno
>
> I'd be glad to help: yes, 7595 was one of my bug reports.
>
> I'm running 4.1.1 from git; but I'd rather not install
> 4.1.1 on Python2 so as to avoid any confusion of 4.1.1
> python3 and python2 dependencies.
>
> Would you mind checking out the filter on your PC for
> Python2 and let me know what you'd like me to do for Python3?
>
> Regards,
>
> Doug

P.S. Thanks for drawing my attention to 7595 again.
I see that it's still an unresolved bug, at least in
3.4.9-716096b and 4.1.1-66b051d. Maybe there is some connection?

Doug

Re: 7595: Re: [Gramps-users] FOLLOW-UP: Re: Transferring filters

enno
Doug,
> I'd be glad to help: yes, 7595 was one of my bug reports.
OK, can you attach the filter file to a new report? I'm not comfortable
with creating such filters myself, so I need your file and paste that here.
>> I'm running 4.1.1 from git; but I'd rather not install 4.1.1 on
>> Python2 so as to avoid any confusion of 4.1.1 python3 and python2
>> dependencies.
I test 4.1 without install, meaning that I just use

python setup.py build
python Gramps.py

or the same with python3. I had to install the right bsddb lib for that,
so you may need the same if you don't have the bsddb for Python 2 installed.
>> Would you mind checking out the filter on your PC for Python2 and let
>> me know what you'd like me to do for Python3?
Once I have your filter file, I can test both 2 and 3 myself, and use
Mantis for feedback.
> P.S. Thanks for drawing my attention to 7595 again.
> I see that it's still an unresolved bug, at least in 3.4.9-716096b and
> 4.1.1-66b051d. Maybe there is some connection?
Maybe yes. That's why I hope you can attach the filters to a new report.
I have no idea in which file they reside, nor what the exact problem is,
so I have to rely on you for this. I suspect that the error is related
to different string handling in 2 and 3, but prefer to verify that
first. The only thing I can find earlier in this thread is an import
problem, and I see that Nick offered assistance too. I hope that running
Gramps in terminal like mentioned above will reveal more.

regards,