A New report !!!

Craig J. Anderson
I have finished Beta1 of my Graphical Cousin Report.  Get it while it is still hot!

http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Graphical_Cousin_Report
or download direct at ander882.110mb.com/files/Cousin.zip (sorry the service provider doesn't allow the .py extension).

And please tell me what you think!  I personally do LOVE this report.  It is my most used.

Documentation for where to save the .py file is in the wiki at the above link (you should already know).

Thanks to all.

  Craig A.

Windows Live Hotmail now works up to 70% faster. Sign up today.

Re: A New report !!!

I like it ! :)

But does your report keep some info in memory ?
I just switch from one Family Tree database to an other one, re-try your
report and get a desktop freeze ...
=> out of memory (physical + swap) ~1Go

Need to kill X server and reboot :(

I do not know if this is related but I was trying to use :
indent level spouse = 2 (generation level was 3)

Jérôme R.

Craig J. Anderson a écrit :

>   I have finished Beta1 of my Graphical Cousin Report.  Get it while it
> is still hot!
>
> http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Graphical_Cousin_Report
> or download direct at ander882.110mb.com/files/Cousin.zip (sorry the
> service provider doesn't allow the .py extension).
>
> And please tell me what you think!  I personally do LOVE this report.
> It is my most used.
>
> Documentation for where to save the .py file is in the wiki at the above
> link (you should already know).
>
> Thanks to all.
>
>   Craig A.
>
> Windows Live Hotmail now works up to 70% faster. Sign up today.
> <http://windowslive.com/Explore/Hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_faster_112008>

Re: A New report !!!

Craig,

The report looks nice. Well done. If you follow user list, you will note I already made some commercial around it as there have been two threads around the descendant chart going on with users who might have been waiting for your report (talking about coincidences, this is the first time in 2 years anybody speaks about descendant chart ). I think you can expect some bug submissions soon, I see Jerome as always has beaten all the competition.

Anyway, some notes for consideration and discussion

1/Your report is in some ways an extended descendant tree, so why not call it 'Extended Descendant Tree' or 'Cousin Descendant Tree'. Or is it that your report stops after some generations? I only tested it on a small tree.
Anyway, the present name 'Cousin Tree...' does not really give understanding to the user

2/Do you think it possible to merge descendant tree code with your code? The descendant tree code should include spouse information and multiple marriages which it does not. Your code includes those. Perhaps the code can be reused somehow?
I do think descendant tree should still start from a person and list all his descendants, whereas your tree starts from a family, but otherwise much overlaps.
For inclusion with GRAMPS itself, I believe it is good if we have equal type of reports look mostly equal, so if your code is included, then I believe descendant tree should produce a similar looking result (starting from a person) so that GRAMPS itselfs looks like one application. As you are in this code at the moment, what is your take at this?

3/Color information. I believe a chart like this can show its information better with a bit of color. I am thinking a color for the father ancestors, a color for the mother ancestors, and then a color per uncle/aunt. This could be a single option, that when selected removes the drop down shadows. As a comparison, a chart of a commercial competitor: http://www.progenygenealogy.com/Legacy-Charting-Companion/descendant-chart.html
I'm sure Jason can come up with some algorithm to produce nice looking colors, or a fixed list of colors.

Keep up the good work!

Benny

2008/11/11 Craig J. Anderson <[hidden email]>
I have finished Beta1 of my Graphical Cousin Report.  Get it while it is still hot!

http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Graphical_Cousin_Report
or download direct at ander882.110mb.com/files/Cousin.zip (sorry the service provider doesn't allow the .py extension).

And please tell me what you think!  I personally do LOVE this report.  It is my most used.

Documentation for where to save the .py file is in the wiki at the above link (you should already know).

Thanks to all.

  Craig A.

Windows Live Hotmail now works up to 70% faster. Sign up today.

Re: A New report !!!

More informations, freeze related to :

1. output format = print + using preview function
2. *one page* option on report / whatever *scale_report* value used

Note: after quitting GRAMPS, gramps.py is still loaded, and memory used
increase increasingly... need to kill "gramps.py" process to avoid "out
of memory" !!!

2.////////////////

Also, SVG output format is not well formed

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location: file:///home/jerome/cousin_chart.svg
Line Number 98, Column 64:<text x="2.93cm" y="2.89cm"
style="fill:#000000;  font-weight:"bold"; font-size:9;
font-family:sans-serif;">.....</text>

font-weight:"bold" will break style=""

Maybe to write style="fill:#00000; font-size:9; font-family:sans-serif;"
next (or just before) font-weight:"bold" ?

3./////////////////

./gramps/report_options.xml does not set
option name="xxx" value="True" but only
option name="yyy" value="False" :

<module name="cousin_chart">
   <option name="family_id" value="F0855"/>
   <option name="maxgen" value="4"/>
   <option name="inctitle" value="False"/>
   <option name="maxspouse" value="2"/>
   <option name="incblank" value="False"/>
   <metric value="1"/>
   <size value="21.000000 29.700000"/>
   <paper name="A4"/>
   <orientation value="1"/>

Strange, but seems to work !

Jérôme R.

Jérôme a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I like it ! :)
>
> But does your report keep some info in memory ?
> I just switch from one Family Tree database to an other one, re-try your
> report and get a desktop freeze ...
> => out of memory (physical + swap) ~1Go
>
> Need to kill X server and reboot :(
>
> I do not know if this is related but I was trying to use :
> indent level spouse = 2 (generation level was 3)
>

> Jérôme R.
>

> Craig J. Anderson a écrit :
>>   I have finished Beta1 of my Graphical Cousin Report.  Get it while it
>> is still hot!
>>
>> http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Graphical_Cousin_Report
>> or download direct at ander882.110mb.com/files/Cousin.zip (sorry the
>> service provider doesn't allow the .py extension).
>>
>> And please tell me what you think!  I personally do LOVE this report.
>> It is my most used.
>>
>> Documentation for where to save the .py file is in the wiki at the above
>> link (you should already know).
>>
>> Thanks to all.
>>
>>   Craig A.
>>
>> Windows Live Hotmail now works up to 70% faster. Sign up today.
>> <http://windowslive.com/Explore/Hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_faster_112008>

Re: A New report !!!

Benny Malengier

2008/11/12 Jérôme <[hidden email]>

2.////////////////

Also, SVG output format is not well formed

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location: file:///home/jerome/cousin_chart.svg
Line Number 98, Column 64:<text x="2.93cm" y="2.89cm"
style="fill:#000000;  font-weight:"bold"; font-size:9;
font-family:sans-serif;">.....</text>

font-weight:"bold" will break style=""

Maybe to write style="fill:#00000; font-size:9; font-family:sans-serif;"
next (or just before) font-weight:"bold" ?

Jerome, test the descendant chart. This would be a bug in the GRAMPS svg writing backend probably, and perhaps not in this report. If so a bug on the tracker is in order

Re: A New report !!!

jerome
> Jerome, test the descendant chart. This would be a bug in the GRAMPS svg
> writing backend probably, and perhaps not in this report. If so a bug on
> the tracker is in order

Benny, descendant chart does not have "bold direct descendant" option on
report.

         bold = BooleanOption(_('Bold direct descendants'), True)
         bold.set_help(_("Whether to bold those people that are direct
(not step or half) decendants."))
         menu.add_option(category_name, "bolddirect", bold)

It is true that *bold* is rather the style of the text.
Maybe rather on def make_default_style() but if so, there no more choice
on report (True/False) :(

Jérôme

Benny Malengier a écrit :

> 2008/11/12 Jérôme <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>

>     2.////////////////
>
>     Also, SVG output format is not well formed
>
>     XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
>     Location: file:///home/jerome/cousin_chart.svg
>     Line Number 98, Column 64:<text x="2.93cm" y="2.89cm"
>     style="fill:#000000;  font-weight:"bold"; font-size:9;
>     font-family:sans-serif;">.....</text>
>
>     font-weight:"bold" will break style=""
>
>     Maybe to write style="fill:#00000; font-size:9; font-family:sans-serif;"
>     next (or just before) font-weight:"bold" ?
>

> Jerome, test the descendant chart. This would be a bug in the GRAMPS svg
> writing backend probably, and perhaps not in this report. If so a bug on
> the tracker is in order

Re: A New report !!!

Craig J. Anderson
I guess a simple thing to do in this instance is to make a new style for the report and have the text bolded.  That would work.  Other than that, the report does not bold ANY text.

  Craig A.

> Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 22:28:19 +0100
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Gramps-devel] A New report !!!
>
> > Jerome, test the descendant chart. This would be a bug in the GRAMPS svg
> > writing backend probably, and perhaps not in this report. If so a bug on
> > the tracker is in order
>
> Benny, descendant chart does not have "bold direct descendant" option on
> report.
>
> bold = BooleanOption(_('Bold direct descendants'), True)
> bold.set_help(_("Whether to bold those people that are direct
> (not step or half) decendants."))
> menu.add_option(category_name, "bolddirect", bold)
>
> It is true that *bold* is rather the style of the text.
> Maybe rather on def make_default_style() but if so, there no more choice
> on report (True/False) :(
>

> Jérôme
>
> Benny Malengier a écrit :
> >

> > 2008/11/12 Jérôme <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> >

> > 2.////////////////
> >
> > Also, SVG output format is not well formed
> >
> > XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
> > Location: file:///home/jerome/cousin_chart.svg
> > Line Number 98, Column 64:<text x="2.93cm" y="2.89cm"
> > style="fill:#000000; font-weight:"bold"; font-size:9;
> > font-family:sans-serif;">.....</text>
> >
> > font-weight:"bold" will break style=""
> >
> > Maybe to write style="fill:#00000; font-size:9; font-family:sans-serif;"
> > next (or just before) font-weight:"bold" ?
> >

> > Jerome, test the descendant chart. This would be a bug in the GRAMPS svg
> > writing backend probably, and perhaps not in this report. If so a bug on
> > the tracker is in order

Color coding for safety: Windows Live Hotmail alerts you to suspicious email. Sign up today.

Re: A New report !!!

> Jerome, test the descendant chart. This would be a bug in the GRAMPS svg
> writing backend probably, and perhaps not in this report. If so a bug on
> the tracker is in order

Benny, you are right (was late...) :-[
There is an error related to font-weight (bold) and style (italic) with
SVG output format :(
I will file a bug-report

Open descend_chart.svg with a text editor (ex: gedit) or a XML-parser
(ex: under Firefox)

Note, style ignores underline on font, background-color and styles on
paragraph !!! (new bug)

SvgDrawDoc.py:line106 + line 206 + line 236 (underline missing)

        self.t.write('<text ')
         self.t.write('x="%4.2f" y="%4.2f" ' % (xpos,ypos))
         self.t.write('transform="rotate(%d %4.2f %4.2f)" ' %
(angle,centerx,centery))
         self.t.write('style="fill:#%02x%02x%02x; '% font.get_color())
         if font.get_bold():
-            self.t.write('font-weight:"bold";')
+            self.t.write('font-weight:bold;')
         if font.get_italic():
-            self.t.write('font-style:"italic";')
+            self.t.write('font-style:italic;')
+       if font.get_underline():
+            self.t.write('font-style:underline;') # don't active !

Jérôme

Jérôme a écrit :

>> Jerome, test the descendant chart. This would be a bug in the GRAMPS svg
>> writing backend probably, and perhaps not in this report. If so a bug on
>> the tracker is in order
>
> Benny, descendant chart does not have "bold direct descendant" option on
> report.
>
>          bold = BooleanOption(_('Bold direct descendants'), True)
>          bold.set_help(_("Whether to bold those people that are direct
> (not step or half) decendants."))
>          menu.add_option(category_name, "bolddirect", bold)
>
> It is true that *bold* is rather the style of the text.
> Maybe rather on def make_default_style() but if so, there no more choice
> on report (True/False) :(
>

> Jérôme
>
> Benny Malengier a écrit :
>>
>> 2008/11/12 Jérôme <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>

>>     2.////////////////
>>
>>     Also, SVG output format is not well formed
>>
>>     XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
>>     Location: file:///home/jerome/cousin_chart.svg
>>     Line Number 98, Column 64:<text x="2.93cm" y="2.89cm"
>>     style="fill:#000000;  font-weight:"bold"; font-size:9;
>>     font-family:sans-serif;">.....</text>
>>
>>     font-weight:"bold" will break style=""
>>
>>     Maybe to write style="fill:#00000; font-size:9; font-family:sans-serif;"
>>     next (or just before) font-weight:"bold" ?
>>

>> Jerome, test the descendant chart. This would be a bug in the GRAMPS svg
>> writing backend probably, and perhaps not in this report. If so a bug on
>> the tracker is in order

Re: A New report !!!

Jason Simanek-2
On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 10:27 +0100, Jérôme wrote:
> Note, style ignores underline on font, background-color and styles on
> paragraph !!! (new bug)
>
> SvgDrawDoc.py:line106 + line 206 + line 236 (underline missing)
> +       if font.get_underline():
> +            self.t.write('font-style:underline;') # don't active !

I haven't worked with SVG outside of Inkscape, but as far as I know CSS
is used to style it and that's what it looks like you're using. In my
knowledge of CSS and XHTML, 'underline' is not a 'font-style' property.
The correct rule for underlining text:

text-decoration:underline;

or for more control over the style of the underline:

border-bottom:dashed 1px #000;

-Jason

Re: A New report !!!

jerome
> I haven't worked with SVG outside of Inkscape

We can use SVG into Firefox for image or animation

https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Mozilla_SVG_Project
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/SVG_In_HTML_Introduction
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Mozilla_SVG_Status

samples:
http://people.mozilla.com/~vladimir/demos/photos.svg
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/video_svg_demo.ogg
(or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Har-PRP4X9U)

> The correct rule for underlining text:
> text-decoration:underline;

Yes, that's it, thanks ! :)

>> SVG contains an attribute value called text-decoration, used for underlining or otherwise "decorating" text. The values used with text-decoration are: none | underline | overline | line-through | blink. Only the last one needs some explanation. SVG Viewers are not required to support the blink value, and as of this writing, most of them don't, so we'll leave it alone here.
source: http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=31799&seqNum=2
sample: http://www.svgbasics.com/font_effects_bold.html

Jérôme

Jason Simanek a écrit :

> On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 10:27 +0100, Jérôme wrote:
>> Note, style ignores underline on font, background-color and styles on
>> paragraph !!! (new bug)
>>
>> SvgDrawDoc.py:line106 + line 206 + line 236 (underline missing)
>> +       if font.get_underline():
>> +            self.t.write('font-style:underline;') # don't active !
>
> I haven't worked with SVG outside of Inkscape, but as far as I know CSS
> is used to style it and that's what it looks like you're using. In my
> knowledge of CSS and XHTML, 'underline' is not a 'font-style' property.
> The correct rule for underlining text:
>
> text-decoration:underline;
>
> or for more control over the style of the underline:
>
> border-bottom:dashed 1px #000;
>
> -Jason

SVG and GRAMPS ...

jerome
Jason,

Note, for fun, I used data stored into GRAMPS + XSLT (quick and dirty
code) for displaying a map with my ancestors places or projected places
! http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Xsl#Examples

For "concrete" SVG use with GRAMPS and HTML :
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Old_Third-party_Plugins#DenominoViso_-_HTML_Ancestors_page

For "concrete" XSL use with GRAMPS :
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Third-party_Plugins#Hungaria_.28Website_Generator.29

Jérôme a écrit :

>> I haven't worked with SVG outside of Inkscape
>
> We can use SVG into Firefox for image or animation
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Mozilla_SVG_Project
> https://developer.mozilla.org/En/SVG_In_HTML_Introduction
> https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Mozilla_SVG_Status
>
> samples:
> http://people.mozilla.com/~vladimir/demos/photos.svg
> http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/video_svg_demo.ogg
> (or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Har-PRP4X9U)
>
>> The correct rule for underlining text:
>> text-decoration:underline;
>
> Yes, that's it, thanks ! :)
>
>>> SVG contains an attribute value called text-decoration, used for underlining or otherwise "decorating" text. The values used with text-decoration are: none | underline | overline | line-through | blink. Only the last one needs some explanation. SVG Viewers are not required to support the blink value, and as of this writing, most of them don't, so we'll leave it alone here.
> source: http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=31799&seqNum=2
> sample: http://www.svgbasics.com/font_effects_bold.html
>

> Jérôme
>
> Jason Simanek a écrit :
>> On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 10:27 +0100, Jérôme wrote:
>>> Note, style ignores underline on font, background-color and styles on
>>> paragraph !!! (new bug)
>>>
>>> SvgDrawDoc.py:line106 + line 206 + line 236 (underline missing)
>>> +       if font.get_underline():
>>> +            self.t.write('font-style:underline;') # don't active !
>> I haven't worked with SVG outside of Inkscape, but as far as I know CSS
>> is used to style it and that's what it looks like you're using. In my
>> knowledge of CSS and XHTML, 'underline' is not a 'font-style' property.
>> The correct rule for underlining text:
>>
>> text-decoration:underline;
>>
>> or for more control over the style of the underline:
>>
>> border-bottom:dashed 1px #000;
>>
>> -Jason

Re: A New report !!!

Graig,

> I could try to use valgrind
> http://valgrind.org/

--5011-- Reading syms from
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-cedilla.so (0x803B000)
--5011--    object doesn't have a symbol table
--5011-- memcheck GC: 16384 nodes, 15654 survivors ( 95.5%)
--5011-- memcheck GC: increase table size to 32768
--5011-- Reading syms from
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/printbackends/libprintbackend-file.so (0x8041000)
--5011--    object doesn't have a symbol table
--5011-- Reading syms from
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/printbackends/libprintbackend-cups.so (0xD6C9000)
--5011--    object doesn't have a symbol table
--5011-- Reading syms from /usr/lib/libcups.so.2 (0xD6EC000)
--5011-- Reading syms from /lib/libcrypt-2.6.1.so (0xD721000)
--5011--    object doesn't have a symbol table
--5011-- Reading syms from /lib/libnss_compat-2.6.1.so (0xD7BD000)
--5011--    object doesn't have a symbol table
--5011-- Reading syms from /lib/libnss_nis-2.6.1.so (0xD7C5000)
--5011--    object doesn't have a symbol table
--5011-- Reading syms from /lib/libnss_files-2.6.1.so (0xD7CF000)
--5011--    object doesn't have a symbol table
--5011-- memcheck GC: 32768 nodes, 30562 survivors ( 93.2%)
--5011-- memcheck GC: increase table size to 65536

==5011== 156 (36 direct, 120 indirect) bytes in 1 blocks are definitely
lost in loss record 139 of 322
==5011==    at 0x4022B08: malloc (vg_replace_malloc.c:207)
==5011==    by 0x4276259: (within /lib/libc-2.6.1.so)
==5011==    by 0x4276998: __nss_database_lookup (in /lib/libc-2.6.1.so)
==5011==    by 0xD7BEEBB: ???
==5011==    by 0xD7BF316: ???
==5011==    by 0x4277244: (within /lib/libc-2.6.1.so)
==5011==    by 0x4231586: setpwent (in /lib/libc-2.6.1.so)
==5011==    by 0xD716B84: cupsUser (usersys.c:412)
==5011==    by 0xD6D278E: gtk_cups_request_new (in
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/printbackends/libprintbackend-cups.so)
==5011==    by 0xD6CD651: (within
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/printbackends/libprintbackend-cups.so)
==5011==    by 0x479C9CD: g_type_create_instance (in
/usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0.1400.1)
==5011==    by 0x4783A61: (within /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0.1400.1)

I disable cups service (I do not have a printer), maybe on my config...
Nevertheless, your plugin is the only one which I get this memory issue :(

If someone want to look at complet valgrind-log with my session :
http://romjerome.ifrance.com/memcheck2.txt

Note, gnucash provides a debug valgrind script, I just used :

#! /bin/sh

prefix=/usr/local
PACKAGE=gramps

export GRAMPSDIR=${prefix}/share/gramps

exec valgrind --log-file=memcheck2 --verbose --tool=memcheck
--leak-check=full /usr/bin/python $GRAMPSDIR/gramps.py "$@"

and used more tools before, results on :
  http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2285
(helgrind.gz, heap.gz, call.gz, cache.gz)

Jérôme

Jérôme a écrit :

> Craig,
>

> I am able to reproduce it every time.
> It fails for a small group of families (don't tested with more than 4
> gen) and only with 'one page' checked and works everywhere else.
>
> If I use 'one page' option and ODT, SVG without 'bold direct descendant'
> , PS, PDF output format, then there is no problem.
>
> If I use 'one page' option and Print... output format, then there is no
> problem (but I do not have a printer)
>
> If I use 'one page' option, Print... output format and 'Preview' button
> on Gramps' Print dialog, then nothing will be displayed, memory loaded
> increase. I quit GRAMPS, look at active process and gramps.py module is
> still active, use a lot of CPU, process calls my swap, I need to kill it.
>
> Your plugin works fine with current plugin framework (was a general bug
> on SVG). This is related to print preview and 'one page' option. I
> agree, this could occur with a particular data but if so, I will not be
> able to use the others formats.
>
> I could try to use valgrind
> http://valgrind.org/
>
> It is also possible that I have a problem with print preview and only
> one page ... but why only happen with your plugin ! True, a calculation
> of margin, font size, a problem to find an answer ...etc. it would be
> nice to know which one.
>

> Jérôme
>
> Craig J. Anderson a écrit :
>>   Ok, I scratched my head about this one and didn't come up with a
>> solution...
>>
>> Does it only fail for a small group of famalies?  and works for others?
>>
>> Does it only fail when the 'one page' option is checked and works
>> everywhere else?  Because I don't believe this right now.  And please
>> tell me if I am wrong!
>>
>> Uh, I don't know how to find this error...  Any other thoughts?
>>
>> thanks.
>>
>>   Craig A.
>>
>>  > Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:30:58 +0100
>>  > From: [hidden email]
>>  > To: [hidden email]
>>  > CC: [hidden email]
>>  > Subject: Re: [Gramps-devel] A New report !!!
>>  >
>>  > But does your report keep some info in memory ?
>>  > I just switch from one Family Tree database to an other one, re-try
>> your
>>  > report and get a desktop freeze ...
>>  > => out of memory (physical + swap) ~1Go
>>  >
>>

>> Windows Live Hotmail now works up to 70% faster. Sign up today.
>> <http://windowslive.com/Explore/Hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_faster_112008>

Re: A New report !!!

Craig J. Anderson
Sorry, but this output does not help me at all.  It only shows the modules that are used and not the code inside my report...

I am working on finding this error (and it is an error).

  Craig A.

> Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:51:05 +0100
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Gramps-devel] A New report !!!
>
> Graig,
>
> > I could try to use valgrind
> > http://valgrind.org/
>
> --5011-- Reading syms from
> /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-cedilla.so (0x803B000)
> --5011-- object doesn't have a symbol table
> more more more
> --5011-- memcheck GC: 16384 nodes, 15654 survivors ( 95.5%)
> --5011-- memcheck GC: increase table size to 32768
> --5011-- Reading syms from

Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with Windows Live Click here

Re: SVG and GRAMPS ...

Hi devs,

Does someone know why I am able to find my default viewer for SVG
reports generated by gramps but I cannot use it for opening reports in
SVG format :(

changes on SvgDrawDoc :

39a40,41
 > import Mime
 > import Utils
63c65,69
<         pass
---
 >         self.f.close()
 >
 >         if self.print_req:
 >             app = Mime.get_application("image/svg+xml")
 >             Utils.launch(app[0],self.filename)

265c271,281
< register_draw_doc(_("SVG (Scalable Vector
Graphics)"),SvgDrawDoc,1,1,".svg");
---
 > print_label = None
 > try:
 >     mprog = Mime.get_application("image/svg+xml")
 >     mtype = Mime.get_description("image/svg+xml")
 >
 >     if Utils.search_for(mprog[0]):
 >         print_label=_("Open in %s") % mprog[1]
 >
 >     register_draw_doc(mtype,SvgDrawDoc,1,1,".svg", print_label)
 > except:
 >     register_draw_doc(_("SVG (Scalable Vector
Graphics)"),SvgDrawDoc,1,1,".svg", None);

Note: I have an error with mime and SVG on my system
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2478
but I am still able to open SVG out side of GRAMPS !

Best Regards,
Jérôme R.

Jérôme a écrit :

> Jason,
>
> Note, for fun, I used data stored into GRAMPS + XSLT (quick and dirty
> code) for displaying a map with my ancestors places or projected places
> ! http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Xsl#Examples
>
> For "concrete" SVG use with GRAMPS and HTML :
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Old_Third-party_Plugins#DenominoViso_-_HTML_Ancestors_page
>
> For "concrete" XSL use with GRAMPS :
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Third-party_Plugins#Hungaria_.28Website_Generator.29
>

> Jérôme a écrit :
>>> I haven't worked with SVG outside of Inkscape
>> We can use SVG into Firefox for image or animation
>>
>> https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Mozilla_SVG_Project
>> https://developer.mozilla.org/En/SVG_In_HTML_Introduction
>> https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Mozilla_SVG_Status
>>
>> samples:
>> http://people.mozilla.com/~vladimir/demos/photos.svg
>> http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/video_svg_demo.ogg
>> (or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Har-PRP4X9U)
>>
>>> The correct rule for underlining text:
>>> text-decoration:underline;
>> Yes, that's it, thanks ! :)

>> source: http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=31799&seqNum=2
>> sample: http://www.svgbasics.com/font_effects_bold.html
>>

>> Jérôme
>>
>> Jason Simanek a écrit :

>>> I haven't worked with SVG outside of Inkscape, but as far as I know CSS
>>> is used to style it and that's what it looks like you're using. In my
>>> knowledge of CSS and XHTML, 'underline' is not a 'font-style' property.
>>> The correct rule for underlining text:
>>>
>>> text-decoration:underline;
>>>
>>> or for more control over the style of the underline:
>>>
>>> border-bottom:dashed 1px #000;
>>>
>>> -Jason

Re: SVG and GRAMPS ...

Brian Matherly
Jerome,

> Does someone know why I am able to find my default viewer
> for SVG
> reports generated by gramps but I cannot use it for opening
> reports in
> SVG format :(
>

> changes on SvgDrawDoc :
>
> 39a40,41
>  > import Mime
>  > import Utils
> 63c65,69
> <         pass
> ---
>  >         self.f.close()
>  >
>  >         if self.print_req:
>  >             app =
> Mime.get_application("image/svg+xml")
>  >             Utils.launch(app[0],self.filename)

You don't need to add "self.f.close()" in the close function. The file gets closed in "end_page()".

> 265c271,281
> < register_draw_doc(_("SVG (Scalable Vector
> Graphics)"),SvgDrawDoc,1,1,".svg");
> ---
>  > print_label = None
>  > try:
>  >     mprog =
> Mime.get_application("image/svg+xml")
>  >     mtype =
> Mime.get_description("image/svg+xml")
>  >
>  >     if Utils.search_for(mprog[0]):
>  >         print_label=_("Open in %s") %
> mprog[1]
>  >
>  >
> register_draw_doc(mtype,SvgDrawDoc,1,1,".svg",
> print_label)
>  > except:
>  >     register_draw_doc(_("SVG (Scalable Vector
> Graphics)"),SvgDrawDoc,1,1,".svg", None);

It looks right to me. Print out the values of mprog and mtype and see what you system is returning. Maybe "image/svg+xml" is not registered properly on your system.

~Brian

Re: A New report !!!

Eero Tamminen-3

On Thursday 13 November 2008, Jérôme wrote:

> > I could try to use valgrind
> > http://valgrind.org/
>
> I disable cups service (I do not have a printer), maybe on my config...
> Nevertheless, your plugin is the only one which I get this memory issue
> :(
>
> If someone want to look at complet valgrind-log with my session :
> http://romjerome.ifrance.com/memcheck2.txt
>

> Note, gnucash provides a debug valgrind script, I just used :
>
> #! /bin/sh
>
> prefix=/usr/local
> PACKAGE=gramps
>
> export GRAMPSDIR=${prefix}/share/gramps
>
> exec valgrind --log-file=memcheck2 --verbose --tool=memcheck
> --leak-check=full /usr/bin/python $GRAMPSDIR/gramps.py "$@"

Fontconfig fools Valgrind (it converts pointers to offsets) and Thread Local
Storage usage in Glib Gslice allocator confuse also Valgrind.  For former
there's nothing one can do except ignore leaks going through fontconfig,
with Gslice one should use:
        export G_SLICE="always-malloc"

Before running the program to tell Gslice allocator not to use TLS
(by default it stores the root pointer to thread specific allocations into
TLS).

I would be more worried about the invalid memory writes in the Valgrind log
though.

> and used more tools before, results on :
>   http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2285
> (helgrind.gz, heap.gz, call.gz, cache.gz)

Any bugs you find with Valgrind in Gramps should really be filed to the
upstream projects (Python and it's modules or their dependencies).
You don't find bugs in code written in Python with Valgrind.

        - Eero

Re: A New report !!!

Eero Tamminen-3

On Thursday 13 November 2008, Craig J. Anderson wrote:
> Sorry, but this output does not help me at all.  It only shows the
> modules that are used and not the code inside my report...
>
> I am working on finding this error (and it is an error).

Python has facilities for debugging issues in code written in Python.
For memory leaks, you should look into the "gc" module.
---------------------
import gc
gc.set_debug(gc.DEBUG_UNCOLLECTABLE)

Re: A New report !!!

> I would be more worried about the invalid memory writes in the Valgrind log though.

Should I launch a memtest on my physical memory ?
or only related to code ?

> You don't find bugs in code written in Python with Valgrind.
> Python has facilities for debugging issues in code written in Python.
> For memory leaks, you should look into the "gc" module.

Good to know that, thanks !
and maybe quicker during gramps' session ...

Jérôme

Eero Tamminen a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> On Thursday 13 November 2008, Jérôme wrote:
>>> I could try to use valgrind
>>> http://valgrind.org/
>> I disable cups service (I do not have a printer), maybe on my config...
>> Nevertheless, your plugin is the only one which I get this memory issue
>> :(
>>
>> If someone want to look at complet valgrind-log with my session :
>> http://romjerome.ifrance.com/memcheck2.txt
>>

>> Note, gnucash provides a debug valgrind script, I just used :
>>
>> #! /bin/sh
>>
>> prefix=/usr/local
>> PACKAGE=gramps
>>
>> export GRAMPSDIR=${prefix}/share/gramps
>>
>> exec valgrind --log-file=memcheck2 --verbose --tool=memcheck
>> --leak-check=full /usr/bin/python $GRAMPSDIR/gramps.py "$@"
>
> Fontconfig fools Valgrind (it converts pointers to offsets) and Thread Local
> Storage usage in Glib Gslice allocator confuse also Valgrind.  For former
> there's nothing one can do except ignore leaks going through fontconfig,
> with Gslice one should use:
> export G_SLICE="always-malloc"
>
> Before running the program to tell Gslice allocator not to use TLS
> (by default it stores the root pointer to thread specific allocations into
> TLS).
>

> I would be more worried about the invalid memory writes in the Valgrind log
> though.
>

>> and used more tools before, results on :
>>   http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2285
>> (helgrind.gz, heap.gz, call.gz, cache.gz)
>
> Any bugs you find with Valgrind in Gramps should really be filed to the
> upstream projects (Python and it's modules or their dependencies).
> You don't find bugs in code written in Python with Valgrind.
>

> - Eero

Re: A New report !!!

Eero Tamminen-3
Hi,

On Monday 17 November 2008, Jérôme wrote:
> > I would be more worried about the invalid memory writes in the Valgrind
> > log though.
>
> Should I launch a memtest on my physical memory ?

Valgrind simulates x86, that's why it's so slow, but it also guarantees that
it can catch everything a process does.  I.e. the errors occur on virtual
hardware.

> or only related to code ?

The reported issues are only in code.

        - Eero