A couple of problems Files and Detailed Descendant report

A couple of problems Files and Detailed Descendant report

George Baynes
GRAMPS: 4.2.2
Python: 3.4.2 (default, Oct  8 2014, 10:45:20) [...
BSDDB: 6.1.0 (5, 3, 28)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
OS: Linux

I have found a problem with Filenames in Linux.
It would appear that Linux is quite happy with Control Characters in Filenames.
(I have managed to have Control Characters in filenames because I cut and paste to write in the filename when first saving the file.)
Everything is fine until I try to do a backup. The backup program (Gramps) does not complain but does fall over.
If I use an XML type backup, the backup program does complain. (I am backing up to a memory stick)
I now know what the problem is and have corrected my filenames, but I thought you might like to know.

****************

I have just run a Detailed Descendant Report and found the following in the report...

1331. Henry Noel Potier. is the same person as [1331].

1332. Frances Potier. is the same person as [1332].

1333. Clara Potier. is the same person as [1333].

1334. Edwin Potier. is the same person as [1334].

1335. Frederick Potier. is the same person as [1335].

1336. Charles Potier. is the same person as [1336].

While I cannot complain about the truth of the statements given, I do find them lacking in useful content.
Their parents were uncle [133] and niece [1312].

Have I done something wrong ?

George Baynes

Re: A couple of problems Files and Detailed Descendant report

Ron Johnson
On 02/21/2017 04:34 PM, george wrote:
GRAMPS: 4.2.2
Python: 3.4.2 (default, Oct  8 2014, 10:45:20) [...
BSDDB: 6.1.0 (5, 3, 28)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
OS: Linux

I have found a problem with Filenames in Linux.
It would appear that Linux is quite happy with Control Characters in Filenames.

That's by design.

I have just run a Detailed Descendant Report and found the following in the report...

1331. Henry Noel Potier. is the same person as [1331].

1332. Frances Potier. is the same person as [1332].

1333. Clara Potier. is the same person as [1333].

1334. Edwin Potier. is the same person as [1334].

1335. Frederick Potier. is the same person as [1335].

1336. Charles Potier. is the same person as [1336].

While I cannot complain about the truth of the statements given, I do find them lacking in useful content.
Their parents were uncle [133] and niece [1312].

Have I done something wrong ?

No.  Since the parents were uncle and niece, the children are listed as descendants of both the uncle and his sibling's child.  (This only happens in endogamous relationships.)