ADMIN: Gramps Organization

GRAMPS - Dev mailing list
Gramps Developers,

There has been some healthy discourse lately about how Gramps is
governed. I appreciate the thoughtful discussion. Each organizational
model/structure has its own advantages and disadvantages. I think those
have been thoroughly vetted through the discussion. While a governance
board/committee would come with the advantage of a more democratic
environment, I am not going to create such a committee at this time. My
reasons are:

* Overhead: Extra effort will be required to organize the committee,
manage members, set voting criteria and criteria for when members are
added/removed. I think our energy is better applied to other activities.

* Efficiency: Committee decisions are inherently less efficient because
they require a consensus among members. One theme I picked up during the
conversation is that people do not want bureaucracy. Staying with a
single technical leader brings decisiveness and expediency to our
development process. I think that is the most appropriate mode for the
Gramps Project at this time.

* Commitment: Forming a committee requires committed members who are
willing to devote their time to such activities. Through the whole
discussion, not one person volunteered themselves. Without committed
members, a committee could not succeed.

One thing I realized through the discussion is that I do not like the
comparison of our organization to the "Benevolent Dictator" model. While
there are some similarities to our situation, the analogy breaks down
quickly. I also realize that our organizational structure is not
apparent to all volunteers. I plan to rectify that by working with Nick
and Sam to document our current organization (as it operates today) on
the website. We will keep you updated as that progresses.

In the mean time, I will try to summarize our *current* organization here:

************************* Gramps Organization *************************

** Users **
The Gramps Project exists solely for the benefit of its users. Users
create the demand for the Gramps program and its features. Anything that
Gramps Contributors do must be in the best interest of the Users.

** Contributors **
All contributors for the Gramps Project are volunteers. Contributors
advance the Gramps Project by contributing code, translations, bug
fixes, documentation, online support, money, and other activities that
are required for the continued advancement of the project.

Because contributors are volunteers, they are free to come and go as
their interests and other commitments permit. We don't ask for a
long-term commitment from most contributors. There are three key roles,
however, that are essential for the uninterrupted operation of the
project. We do ask for a certain level of commitment from these key
Contributors. These three roles are:

* Administrator *
The project Administrator is responsible for the financial and legal
aspects of the project. The Administrator manages the project finances
by receiving donations and paying for any costs associated with the
project. The Administrator is also responsible for making sure that all
Contributors act in a fair way and in accordance with the project
guidelines. The current project Administrator is Brian Matherly.

* Architect *
The Architect is the lead technical supervisor. His role is to ensure
that changes to the Gramps Project code are in the best interest of the
Users. The Architect is also responsible for making sure that code
quality is maintained for the long-term good of the project. Like all
contributors, the Architect is expected to follow project guidelines and
must make decisions in a way that is fair and non-discriminatory. The
current project Architect is Nick Hall.

* Webmaster *
The webmaster is responsible for maintaining the online presence and
infrastructure for the Gramps Project. This includes the Webpage, Wiki,
Bug tracker and other online data. The Webmaster keeps the
infrastructure secure by applying updates and maintaining backups. The
current project Webmaster is Sam Manzi.

These three key roles are filled by succession. If one of the key
contributors wishes to step down from his role, he will work with the
other two to find and train a successor. The successor must be approved
by the other key contributors and must commit to the responsibilities of
that role.

The project guidelines are published on the Wiki. Any Contributor may
suggest changes to the guidelines. But the changes must be approved by
the Architect before they are adopted.

If any Contributor feels that the Architect or Webmaster has made a
decision that violates project guidelines, is unfair, or is
discriminatory, they they should bring their concerns to the project
Administrator for review.

I hope that people find this explanation helpful. I had to invent some
of the words above because we had never formally named them before. Like
I said, I intend to formalize this description on the website soon.

In addition, I heard from the conversation that people would like a way
to appeal in case they don't like a decision that Nick has made. That is
exactly what I am here for. I hope that you all will feel free to reach
out to me (publicly or privately) if you would like further review of
Nick's decision. I am here to help.

Finally, I would like to offer a sincere thanks to all of you for your
continued contributions. Your effort benefits thousands of people every day.

Keep up the good work,

~Brian Matherly