Accessing GRAMPS on multiple computers, Dropbox?

Accessing GRAMPS on multiple computers, Dropbox?

Logan
I've seen a few old (some very old) threads about using Dropbox but was
wondering if anyone had any experience syncing across multiple computers.

Here's the situation: I often edit stuff on my laptop as I'm traveling,
which is a Windows machine. My wife uses an iMac at home. It would be nice
to be able to have either one of us edit the database regardless of which
machine it is on. I experimented with getting it set up on Dropbox with
relative paths but though each computer could access it, any changes made
were not shown on the other computer (in neither case were the multiple
copies of GRAMPS running simultaneously).

If it can't be done, then it can't be done, I just thought that I can't be
alone in wanting to be able to do this. Thanks!

Re: Accessing GRAMPS on multiple computers, Dropbox?

victorengel
In general for any software, unless the back end is coded into the software, you likely will run into trouble if both computers are ever running at the same time. This is because the software may have some of the data cached in RAM, which would be not visible from, say Dropbox. That said, if you have Dropbox set up to watch all the folders that the software uses, it should be possible to use the software on both computers if you make sure to exit the software from one before launching it on the other. Also, make sure Dropbox is synced before launching the second copy.

This may still fail if the software has some code specific to the hardware you're using. I don't know if that applies to Gramps or not. I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Victor

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 3:01 PM Logan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've seen a few old (some very old) threads about using Dropbox but was
wondering if anyone had any experience syncing across multiple computers.

Here's the situation: I often edit stuff on my laptop as I'm traveling,
which is a Windows machine. My wife uses an iMac at home. It would be nice
to be able to have either one of us edit the database regardless of which
machine it is on. I experimented with getting it set up on Dropbox with
relative paths but though each computer could access it, any changes made
were not shown on the other computer (in neither case were the multiple
copies of GRAMPS running simultaneously).

If it can't be done, then it can't be done, I just thought that I can't be
alone in wanting to be able to do this. Thanks!

Re: Accessing GRAMPS on multiple computers, Dropbox?

Logan
Just to be clear, I'm not trying to access the database from two computers
simultaneously, I just want to be able to access the database from any one
of several computers. The primary hiccup being perhaps they are running a
different OS.

On 28/10/2019 20:00, Logan wrote:
> I've seen a few old (some very old) threads about using Dropbox but was
> wondering if anyone had any experience syncing across multiple computers.

The old threads will advise you to store a Gramps XML export on Dropbox,
not the database files.  This is still good advice.

> Here's the situation: I often edit stuff on my laptop as I'm traveling,
> which is a Windows machine. My wife uses an iMac at home. It would be nice
> to be able to have either one of us edit the database regardless of which
> machine it is on. I experimented with getting it set up on Dropbox with
> relative paths but though each computer could access it, any changes made
> were not shown on the other computer (in neither case were the multiple
> copies of GRAMPS running simultaneously).

Gramps is not designed for multi-user access and some information is
stored in memory.

Having said that, if you make sure that only one user accesses the
database at a time, it should work with a SQLite backend.

Don't try this with a BSDDB backend.  It is very sensitive to the
version used.

> If it can't be done, then it can't be done, I just thought that I can't be
> alone in wanting to be able to do this. Thanks!

I think that it can be done, but be very careful.  Take lots of backups!

Re: Accessing GRAMPS on multiple computers, Dropbox?

Simon C. Tremblay
Hi Logan,

I do access my Gramps DB from several machines, but they are all PCs and the database resides in the exact same path on all PCs.

I'm the sole user, so it's easier for me to make sure it's opened on only one PC at a time. Also, to minimize potential corruption, I suspend Dropbox synch before opening the database.

 I'm aware of the risks and I back-up often. So proceed with caution, but it's feasible.

Simon

On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 17:23, Logan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just to be clear, I'm not trying to access the database from two computers
simultaneously, I just want to be able to access the database from any one
of several computers. The primary hiccup being perhaps they are running a
different OS.

Re: Accessing GRAMPS on multiple computers, Dropbox?

Dave Gilmore
I've been accessing GRAMPS on multiple computers for years. If I'm
working on my laptop, I make a backup copy of the db, use a service to
sync it to other computers, delete the out of data copy on the desktop,
make a new db and do a restore. This method has a couple benefits over
trying to sync the live data directory

1) It's OS agnostic so the differences between Mac, PC and Linux and how
they handle files won't matter

2) It's (sort of) version agnostic. You don't have to be running the
exact same version of GRAMPS on all devices. If they differ by a release
or two - and you try to open a live database that they share - you might
have bad results. But, the backup and restore method creates the
database in the version that device is running.

This works great for me because I am the only one maintaining the
database. But, I don't think any method is going to prevent the occasion
when the both of you make updates and someone's changes overwrite the
others. At least with a backup, you could load two different copies of
the database to make comparisons should this ever occur

Dave

On 10/28/2019 1:00 PM, Logan wrote:

> I've seen a few old (some very old) threads about using Dropbox but was
> wondering if anyone had any experience syncing across multiple computers.
>
> Here's the situation: I often edit stuff on my laptop as I'm traveling,
> which is a Windows machine. My wife uses an iMac at home. It would be nice
> to be able to have either one of us edit the database regardless of which
> machine it is on. I experimented with getting it set up on Dropbox with
> relative paths but though each computer could access it, any changes made
> were not shown on the other computer (in neither case were the multiple
> copies of GRAMPS running simultaneously).
>
> If it can't be done, then it can't be done, I just thought that I can't be
> alone in wanting to be able to do this. Thanks!
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Accessing GRAMPS on multiple computers, Dropbox?

Bryan S
Dave,

I have been using the same method for a good while already as I try to encourage other members of my family to somehow contribute to
the main GRAMPS database which is on my computer in my office at my house. I also use it if I do some research at some
source/repository with my laptop. This is similar to 'version control' in software development. I have small set of rules
which has prevented any big mixups such as;
- when I send a backup copy of a database to someone I always use some unique name so that when it is returned with their updates, I don't write over my good db.
ex. when send a copy of the Shnarflberg to my cousin Eldon, I rename the backup on my machine EldShnarf21419 which is sent on 2 Feb 2019

Thus, if my cousin has problems, I can quickly create a new database on my computer by restoring that backup into the new temporary db in GRAMPS.
Generally, I avoid using the Shnarflberg db on my computer until my cousin has finished his work and returned a copy to me.
The big advantage to this method is that a new user/researcher has access to all the Shnarflberg data and generally is much more
willing to help your research because he/she won't need to start with a empty database.

Its a method that works for me. Not sure it is useful for others.

Bryan

On Tue, 2019-10-29 at 05:25 -0700, Dave Gilmore wrote:
[...]

Bryan,

How do you merge the changes he has made with the changes you have made since you sent him the backup?

Dave

On 10/29/2019 6:02 AM, Bryan S wrote:
[...]

Arentas
Also using same dB on two different OS will have media path problem.
I wish that in future it will be some kind of easy to use mechanism implemented in to the Gramps to make possible for at least two users work on same DB from different locations. As current method is just very old school. Even if  importing backup data on the same DB causing lot of pain with duplicated data. Not sure if it's any other soft behave in same way.?

On Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 15:09 Dave Gilmore, <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Two part answer to your question. I have a small database for each family name such as Shnaflberg, Diizu etc..(all fictional for this forum). I import/merge using the Tool in GRAMPS.

1. My process is based upon the assumption that there are very few persons or people that appear in more than one database therefore, there will be only a few duplicates
that I will be required to change manually. I have a hand written list of person entries that are in both databases and need to be adjusted every time I merge the databases. I merge the small databases into a
large one @ once per month.
The corrections of the overlapping persons is actually quite easy. For example, my Mother's name will appear in her family's database as a child and in my Father's database as a spouse.
2. This is a proces one should plan and execute. DO YOUR BACKUPS!!!!!!!! Know how to restore your backups etc...

The big advantage of this system for me is that I can have numerous people (nodes) working on small databases that may be passed around and I will recieve many other small databases
that I can incorporate into my large db. In a sense, each node(person including myself) becomes a repository.

For those who would like a semi-tech discussion of this process...

Thx,
Bryan

On Tue, 2019-10-29 at 08:03 -0700, Dave Gilmore wrote:

[...]

I'm of 2 minds when it comes to others making contributions to shared Tree data driven by Gramps.

I definitely would like it to be easy for others to contribute information. But I don't want all the wiki-type headaches of crowd editing. (Not that Gramps has the log-in security with logged history/undo features that crowd-based editing would necessitate anyway.)

To be blunt, even without the 'kindness' of strangers I have a few ... wonky... relatives. Like the aunt who INSISTS our Nelson ancestor is a DIRECT descendant of Admiral Lord Nelson. However, documentation of the brandy-embalmed admiral shows he was married 2 years after our Nelson 4th gr-grandmother was born and my aunt cannot say WHY she came to such such certainty. (I suspect that we do share ancestry. But we're more likely to be directly descended from Major Tony Nelson of stranded astronaut fame. At least there would be some magic that might explain it.) And then there's the cousin who can't keep my brother separate from my cousin... just because they are both namesakes of grandpa. She also insists I've spelt my sister's name wrong since it's different from that of her elder half-sister. Or my sister who insists that the adult woman in a holiday photo (with my sister as a toddler) is one aunt who was never introduced to the family until 2 or 3 years after she was that age.

I just spent an hour unmerging 3 FamilySearch profiles where the original souls were only vaguely similar. (They were of the same era and had matching initials but given names, birth years, and lived hundreds of miles apart.) I have enough trouble from my own stupid mistakes... transparently layering in someone else's is begging for trouble.

Given my druthers, it would be nice to have something similar (but better than) FindAGrave's moderated edit suggestions. (FindAGrave takes people into an unfamiliar interface to make their suggestions. One that removes access to reference data during composing.)

-Brian

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 8:04, Bryan S
--
Dave,

I have been using the same method for a good while already as I try to encourage other members of my family to somehow contribute to the main GRAMPS database which is on my computer in my office at my house. I also use it if I do some research at some source/repository with my laptop. This is similar to 'version control' in software development.

Re: Accessing GRAMPS on multiple computers, D

Bryan S
I'm of similar mindset. My wife's family firmly believes that they qualify for recognition related to the US Revolutionary War. There is no basis for that silly notion in even the most remote sense
but they continue to insist that their family was here, in the US, at the time.

The other problem with 'merging' is that you deal with perhaps thousands of records when, in reality, there are only a few changes to a few records. That, by definition, means that you have
many thousands of chances to create problems instead of just a few. But, that is the only reliable process I've found so far with GRAMPS and also why I still use my trusty 'pen 'n pad' to keep my head on straight when I work with updates/merges.

Bryan

On Tue, 2019-10-29 at 16:47 +0000, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
[...]

Thanx, Paul!

Glad you mentioned that point. I won't accept any other format of data than GRAMPS.

Before I agree to help someone get started on their family search, I stress the point that I will ONLY work with data exchange in a GRAMPS format
and I will ONLY accept changes if they are easily merged into my databases. Occasionally I have someone who will refuse those conditions but, there are only 24 hours in a day
and I don't need to be everything to everyone. I will accept .pdf printouts that I can manually enter into my databases but automatic loading/merging is strictly done on the GRAMPS format.

BTW, I was absolutely impressed and relieved the first time I used the Import/Merge tool!

Bryan

On Tue, 2019-10-29 at 15:48 -0500, Paul Culley wrote:
[...]

Deborah Bennett

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 2:06 PM Deborah Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
In my experience, Gramps is not designed to have two processes open the database for editing at the same time. I joined this list when I needed help recovering from a situation like that last year. It took some behind the scenes knowledge and some secret maneuvers for me to recover my corrupted database. (Now I make regular backups).

-Deborah

Send email to [hidden email]
Share files to [hidden email]
Sent from my iPad

> On Oct 28, 2019, at 1:00 PM, Logan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've seen a few old (some very old) threads about using Dropbox but was
> wondering if anyone had any experience syncing across multiple computers.
>
> Here's the situation: I often edit stuff on my laptop as I'm traveling,
> which is a Windows machine. My wife uses an iMac at home. It would be nice
> to be able to have either one of us edit the database regardless of which
> machine it is on. I experimented with getting it set up on Dropbox with
> relative paths but though each computer could access it, any changes made
> were not shown on the other computer (in neither case were the multiple
> copies of GRAMPS running simultaneously).
>
> If it can't be done, then it can't be done, I just thought that I can't be
> alone in wanting to be able to do this. Thanks!
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Send email to [hidden email]
Share files with [hidden email]

Re: Accessing GRAMPS on multiple computers, Dropbox?

Philip Tait
Sounds like the safe way to do that (which is what I want to do also) is to export an XML file to a memory stick, Dropbox or NAS at the end of each update session,
then import that XML file when starting a new session.

Philip (GRAMPS newbie)