Add an event - let baptism follow after birth

Add an event - let baptism follow after birth

Oliver Lehmann
Hi,

right now I'm entering a lot of new data to my tree, and it goes
always like this

religion
birth
baptism
(death)
(burial)

No idea how it is on your sides, but lets say 99.9% of my ancestors
have received a baptism < 2 month of age. The other 0.1% are presently
living persons who never got a baptism at all.

The default for the following event after birth is always death for
the next event.

I need to change that _always_.

If the cursor position would be there I could maybe do it faster. Now I
have to navigate there before I can change it.

Is there an easy way for me to insert baptism between birth and death
default-event-chain? So that baptism gets preselected after the person
received a birth event.

Best regards,
Oliver

Re: Add an event - let baptism follow after birth

Ron Johnson
On 02/16/2018 01:37 PM, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
Hi,

right now I'm entering a lot of new data to my tree, and it goes always like this

religion
birth
baptism
(death)
(burial)

No idea how it is on your sides, but lets say 99.9% of my ancestors have received a baptism < 2 month of age. The other 0.1% are presently living persons who never got a baptism at all.

The default for the following event after birth is always death for the next event.

I need to change that _always_.

That'll require a code hack.

If the cursor position would be there I could maybe do it faster. Now I
have to navigate there before I can change it.

Is there an easy way for me to insert baptism between birth and death
default-event-chain? So that baptism gets preselected after the person
received a birth event.

When adding a new event, the cursor is, as you know, placed in the Date box.  From there, type Shift-Tab twice.  That will put your cursor in the Event Type box.  When there, type the letter "b".  From there, arrow down to choose Baptism.

--
Money Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: Add an event - let baptism follow after birth

Dave Scheipers
Hey Ron

for the code hack....

I thought I saw the logic used to determine which Event type to preset
while perusing the code files. Now that I'm looking for it, cannot
seem to find it. Do you know which file it is in?

Dave

On 20/02/18 00:52, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> I thought I saw the logic used to determine which Event type to preset
> while perusing the code files. Now that I'm looking for it, cannot
> seem to find it. Do you know which file it is in?

The default event types are set here:

https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/blob/master/gramps/gui/editors/displaytabs/personeventembedlist.py#L102

Re: Add an event - let baptism follow after birth

Oliver Lehmann
Hi Nick,

perfect - I changed it locally to

     def default_types(self):
         return [
             EventType(EventType.RELIGION),
             EventType(EventType.BIRTH),
             EventType(EventType.CHRISTEN),
             EventType(EventType.DEATH),
             EventType(EventType.BURIAL),
             ]

If there would be a configurable setting - wow that would be cool.
But maybe I'm the only one with that need ;)

I need to remember that for the next update :)

Best regards,
Oliver

Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20/02/18 00:52, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>> I thought I saw the logic used to determine which Event type to preset
>> while perusing the code files. Now that I'm looking for it, cannot
>> seem to find it. Do you know which file it is in?
>
> The default event types are set here:
>
> https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/blob/master/gramps/gui/editors/displaytabs/personeventembedlist.py#L102
>

> Nick.

Re: Add an event - let baptism follow after birth

Thanks Nick

Hi Oliver

I just tested it and it is an easy tweak.

First, make a copy of the original file with an altered name (in case
something does go wrong) and then edit the original file changing the
list of three event types to the first three you'll use; I changed
mine to BIRTH, BAPTISM, DEATH; save the file and then launch Gramps.

I am on Windows so the folders are restricted and cannot save a
changed file into the same folder so have to save the file to the
desktop and then move it to folder with all the permissions along the
way.

Good luck

Dave

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 9:48 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20/02/18 00:52, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>
>> I thought I saw the logic used to determine which Event type to preset
>> while perusing the code files. Now that I'm looking for it, cannot
>> seem to find it. Do you know which file it is in?
>

> The default event types are set here:
>
> https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/blob/master/gramps/gui/editors/displaytabs/personeventembedlist.py#L102
>

> Nick.

Re: Add an event - let baptism follow after birth

Dave Scheipers
Hi Ron,

Not being able to save changed files directly in the folder
overwriting existing files is not a bad thing. Being reminded to be
careful can be a good thing.

I just wanted to make sure that Oliver wasn't blocked thinking no
changes could be made.