Add citation in citationtreeview: automatically select source

Add citation in citationtreeview: automatically select source

Sebastian Schubert
Hi,

I mainly use the citation tree view (sources view with citations
included as a tree) to manage citations. In order to add a new citation
to a source, the source has to be selected. I often have a citation
selected and want to add another citation to the corresponding source.
This raises the error that a source has to be selected. While this
strict approach is certainly valid, I find it better from a usability
point of view if just the corresponding source would be used for the new
citation.

I attached a simple patch which changes the behaviour (needs to be
checked!). What do you think? If you agree I put the patch into the bug
tracker for official review.

Cheers
Sebastian

citadd.patch (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Add citation in citationtreeview: automatically select source

enno
Hi Sebastian,

> I mainly use the citation tree view (sources view with citations
> included as a tree) to manage citations. In order to add a new citation
> to a source, the source has to be selected. I often have a citation
> selected and want to add another citation to the corresponding source.
> This raises the error that a source has to be selected. While this
> strict approach is certainly valid, I find it better from a usability
> point of view if just the corresponding source would be used for the new
> citation.
>
> I attached a simple patch which changes the behaviour (needs to be
> checked!). What do you think? If you agree I put the patch into the bug
> tracker for official review.
I'd like to have it in 3.4 too. I made two changes to your patch to make
it work, since both Citation() and WindowsActiveError were unresolved at
first. I'll add more comments when you put this in Mantis, because I
found some duplicate code.

regards,

Re: Add citation in citationtreeview: automatically select source

Sebastian Schubert
Hi Enno,

>> I mainly use the citation tree view (sources view with citations
>> included as a tree) to manage citations. In order to add a new citation
>> to a source, the source has to be selected. I often have a citation
>> selected and want to add another citation to the corresponding source.
>> This raises the error that a source has to be selected. While this
>> strict approach is certainly valid, I find it better from a usability
>> point of view if just the corresponding source would be used for the new
>> citation.
>>
>> I attached a simple patch which changes the behaviour (needs to be
>> checked!). What do you think? If you agree I put the patch into the bug
>> tracker for official review.
> I'd like to have it in 3.4 too. I made two changes to your patch to make
> it work, since both Citation() and WindowsActiveError were unresolved at
> first. I'll add more comments when you put this in Mantis, because I
> found some duplicate code.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I copied my Email to a feature request:

Please add your comments.

Cheers
Sebastian

Re: Add citation in citationtreeview: automatically select source

enno
Hi Sebastian,
> Thanks for the positive feedback. I copied my Email to a feature request:
>
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=8061
>
> Please add your comments.
Done.

regards,