Adding a single parent family to our family

Adding a single parent family to our family

GRAMPS - User mailing list
eGreetings from sunny Queensland. My apologies if this has been previously covered, but have searched and found no answer. to my problem. I need guidance on the best way to record the following scenario:--- One of our sons married a single mum who had a child after a teenage indiscretion. The biological father took off and had no input into their lives. The mother by tradition took our family name as her married name. The son changed his name to our family name by deed poll to take effect on the date of marriage. I have recorded mother and son as a single parent family, and recorded the marriage in her "Events'. I have found no way to record the lad's name change in his 'Events', other than perhaps giving him a second name to match our family name. The major questions are: Is recording a single parent family the best way to record their details? Do I need to record in some way the dissolution of the single mum family following her marriage to our son? And how to record the addition of her son into our family as a stepson. BTW, I am using Gramps 5.1.1 in Linux. I would gratefully appreciate your expert advice on the best way to record these additions to our family. Sincerely, Peter D

Re: Adding a single parent family to our family

Dave Scheipers
Hi Petrus

This is the way that I would do it.

The girl would have two family relations. One to the boy's biological
father with the relationship type "Unmarried". The boy will be a child
of this "family' The girl will have a second family married to your
son with a marriage date and type married.  If your son became the
boy's legal father/guardian, I would also add the boy as a child to
this family and changing the relationship to your son as adopted. In
the Edit Family, in the Children Tab, click on the boy and change his
relationship to your son. His mother remains his mother by birth.

Now to deal with names. In the boy's edit window, there will be the
Names tab. Here you can add additional names. Add the boy's new name
with a name type "Adoptive" or "Legal" (it's been so long I do not
remember what the default options are.but in any case you can add a
custom entry by just typing it in.)  You can add a date and
documentation for this name entry.  To change which name appears in
the Preferred name slot, drag-n-drop the entries. You can do the same
for the mother with a "Married" name.

For an event for the boy, you can also create one with type "Legal"
with a description "Deep Poll name change" or  whatever would be
appropriate with the place and all relevant citations and notes.

There is no need to add an Event to an "Unmarried" family but you can
add an event "Separation".

HTH, Dave