Adding clickable web link to a citation

Robert Pettit
Is there a way to add a clickable web link to a citation?  Say I have
some Findagrave citations with memorial numbers that when you click it,
it opens a browser to that grave site.  If not how hard would it be to
add it into the code if I learn enough python to be dangerous.

Re: Adding clickable web link to a citation

Dave Scheipers
Right now you would need to add the URL link to a note in the
citation. There is even a special note type "Html code" for these
types of notes. You can also use the note's Link option the show
clickable text with imbedded url information..

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Entering_and_editing_data:_detailed_-_part_2#Link_Editor

As far as having the URL in the Volume/Page field of the citation,
right now that is only considered text by Gramps. There has been a
feature request to add a new, separate, clickable citation scheme for
these type of citations. I have advocated just making the V/P field
clickable similar to adding an address to the Internet  tab. So far,
no developer/coder have take up the cause.

As to your example, just the memorial number from Findagrave would not
be enough to make it clickable, You would need the page's URL. The
number is all I use in a findagrave citation. At least with the site,
it is a searchable field unlike Billiongraves which I use the url.

HTH Dave

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 3:24 PM Robert Pettit <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a way to add a clickable web link to a citation?  Say I have
> some Findagrave citations with memorial numbers that when you click it,
> it opens a browser to that grave site.  If not how hard would it be to
> add it into the code if I learn enough python to be dangerous.

Re: Adding clickable web link to a citation

Patrick Gerlier
Unless I'm totally wrong, this feature already exists in Gramps.

In any note, if you write a string starting with http:// ou https://,
you get a clickable link. When your mouse hovers over the string, it
turns blue and underlined. Right-click to make a menu pop-up and choose
"Open internet link". Your browser will be launched.

However, this feature does not translate when you generate a Narrative
Web. Only specific links in a repository page will lead you to the
repository site.

Patrick

Le 18/12/2019 à 21:23, Robert Pettit a écrit :
> Is there a way to add a clickable web link to a citation?  Say I have
> some Findagrave citations with memorial numbers that when you click
> it, it opens a browser to that grave site.  If not how hard would it
> be to add it into the code if I learn enough python to be dangerous.

Re: Adding clickable web link to a citation

Storing explicit URLs is an invitation to build Link Rot problems into our database.

The web is NOT a stable place and dynamic websites (built on database query driven content) URLs are a moving target.

Eventually, we may have a feature that acknowledges the volatility of URLs and the format for parameter passing.

FindAGrave's URLs have evolved several times as they changed databases & the record structure. (The current FindAGrave query even has a trailing 'ignore' portion for a human readable annotation.)  FamilySearch & WikiTree (nor all the other genealogy sites) are not any more stable.

The Library of Congress has continually revised their search query.  If you recognize the permanent ID (the LCCN or Library of Congress Control Number), you could quickly reconstruct an outdated URL into the new format.  But there's too much effort to continually repair those rotting links if stored as inline text.

-Brian

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 15:05, Dave Scheipers