Adding gramps:// protocol to Windows 10

Patrice Legoux
Hi list users,

Has anyone already added the gramps protocol (gramps://) to windows 10?

I want to paste gramps URLs like gramps://Person/handle/xxxxx into Trello (or anything else outside of Gramps notes) and be able to open them in Gramps from my browser while Gramps is already running.

Do you think it's possible or may be there is better method you know?

Thanks,

Patrice

New Utility for verifying GEDCOM place names

GRAMPS - User mailing list

I’ve written a utility that reads in GEDCOM files, validates the locations, and adds latitude/longitude.  It’s designed to verify large GEDCOM files using geodata from geonames.org.

I’m curious if people would find this useful and would love feedback on the system.  Also, I’d like to know if people think it would be useful to convert it to an add-in for GRAMPS.  The system is in Python and uses Sqlite3 but would require significant changes to work as a GRAMPS add in.

Features:

  • Rich place name database from geonames.org optimized for Genealogy including including cemeteries, historic locations, and religious locations.
  • Designed for correcting large GEDCOM files
  • Automatic matching wherever possible adds missing information such as missing state/province or county.
  • Standardizes placenames
  • Output is to a new GEDCOM file
  • Adds latitude/longitude
  • Wildcard search - presents a list of wildcard matches
  • Phonetic search - presents a list of phonetic matches
  • Highlights locations in the US and Canada where the event date is before European settlement
  • Free / Open Source

You can find further information here:

Re: New Utility for verifying GEDCOM place names

GRAMPS - User mailing list
GeoFinder is based on data from geonames.org.  Geonames.org is global and seems to have good European data including small villages and religious venues. It is community sourced so the country data is better for countries where government data is open.  Norway has 600,000 entries which includes 100,000 farms.  Stats are here:  https://www.geonames.org/statistics/norway.html

However geonames.org is primarily modern names and administrative districts.   The data model  has the ability to have alternate historic names with a date range but it is generally not filled in.  It also has the ability to define both a point location or an area so from a data model perspective it may have what you want, but without the data.

You can go here to quickly try some searches directly in geonames.org:  http://www.geonames.org/

If geonames looks promising to you it would be great to get historic Norway data in there.

On Aug 20, 2019, at 9:03 PM, Victor Engel <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Yes.  I had tried those out but I was looking for a tool that would be better at handling a large number of places and had strong wild card and phonetic support.  My ancestry file has a lot of old place names where spelling has changed slightly.

On Aug 20, 2019, at 9:12 PM, Sam Manzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Looks good,

Have you seen the other gazzetter Gramps addons?
GeoName gramplet downloads place information from the GeoNames gazetteer
GetGOV gramplet downloads place information from the GOV gazetteer
Experimental place gazetteer (info from http://geonames.usgs.gov )
and the older

Place completion tool( that get info from http://download.geonames.org/export/dump/ )
Source code here that may help you: https://github.com/gramps-project/addons-source, if you decide to convert to a Gramps addon

Kind regards
Sam

On 8/20/19 10:43 PM, mikeh via Gramps-users wrote:

[...]

Could you make a Gramps XML parser?  That would be really useful.

Re: Adding gramps:// protocol to Windows 10

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Patrice,

I hadn't heard of using this kind of registry patch for Gramps. It is so OS & version specific that it feels kind of... fragile. URI and UNC breakages are notorious in Windows networks. As are registry patches.

From all the web generation tools in Gramps, I suspect that the majority of our community leans toward web publishing to make Gramps records browsable (although not editable). Support for such URLs is OS agnostic and now broadly supported by most applications.

Such shortcut to Gramps objects sometimes pose risks even when confined to within the Gramps ecology. I have recently decided to refrain from using the Link Editor in Gramps Notes.

I had liked using linking an author byline to their Person record and also for linking Pall Bears in Obituary transcriptions. (It can be diffult to distinguish between friends and extended family in obituaries.) I also appreciated the ability to add a Deep Connections (or Pedigree) style report note for blood relatives where endogamy & pedigree collapse in collateral lines flummoxed the Deep Connections Gramplet. (I have to continually remove & restore the husband of a paternal Aunt. Otherwise, his multiple branch connections to my ancestors will send Deep Connections into a tizzy.)

Unfortunately, links in Notes also flummoxes Deep Connections to the point of uselessness. (And it's one of my favorite Gramplets --- despite the massive slowdown it imposes.)

-Brian

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 8:10, Patrice Legoux
No one have answers to my questions ?
--
Hi list users,

Has anyone already added the gramps protocol (gramps://) to windows 10?

I want to paste gramps URLs like gramps://Person/handle/xxxxx into Trello (or anything else outside of Gramps notes) and be able to open them in Gramps from my browser while Gramps is already running.

Do you think it's possible or may be there is better method you know?

Thanks,
Patrice

Untitled Download Attachment
Untitled (206 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: New Utility for verifying GEDCOM place names

Hello mikeh,

[...]

It looks like I can't try it here, because I have no pip on Windows 10, and the pip on my Linux Mint fails too.

So, if you really want people to try things, it helps to give detailed instructions to get started with pip on all platforms.

I'm very interested in cleaning up my place database, which is still in Gramps 3.4, but I don't think that GEDCOM is the way to go. I would rather see a utility that reads the Gramps database, or Gramps XML.

I really like to see a tool that is smart and can work in batches, meaning that I want it to find out what place names can be enhanced, offer suggestions, which I can approve, or not, and keep track of its work, so that I can take a big break, and start it again later. This means that existing tools that ask me to select places myself, or ones that make too many corrections without asking, are no use for me.

Re: New Utility for verifying GEDCOM place names

Rich Lakey
I don't use GEDCOM. To explain, I used it to create my initial database 10 years ago but have not used it since. I have had a couple of friends that destroyed there data by trying to merge another GEDCOM.   I use the ID for more detailed identification. A GEDCOM may destroy that. Also I spent a lot of time correcting my current database from errors in the original GEDCOM that had been merged by the previous person.
But I would be interested in your utility if it worked on the Gramps DB or Gramps XML.
Rich

On 8/24/19 10:17 AM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

Hello mikeh,

[...]

Ron Johnson
On 8/24/19 10:33 AM, Rich Lakey wrote:
I have had a couple of friends that destroyed there data by trying to merge another GEDCOM.

Didn't backup their trees first, huh?  tsk, tsk.

Re: New Utility for verifying GEDCOM place names

Thanks for the feedback!

I didn’t realize PIP wasn’t standard with Windows. I’ve added instructions to install it.

I think directly interfacing to the Gramps database will be tricky, but it looks like there may be some interest.  I’d love it if someone could try this just as an experiment with a GEDCOM file before I try to get this to work with Gramps.

I’ve been trying to balance as much automation as possible with as safe output as possible.  This tool will do an automatic correction for any Place that has an EXACT and UNIQUE match to geonames.  For example, Paris,France will result automatically in Paris, Paris, Ile-de-France, France.   If your entry is missing pieces, it will fill them in automatically if it gets a UNIQUE match in the database.  If it doesn’t get a unique match it will try to present the most useful list of addresses and let you click on the one that makes sense.

On Aug 24, 2019, at 11:17 AM, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

enno
hi mikeh,
I didn’t realize PIP wasn’t standard with Windows. I’ve added instructions to install it.

Thanks. I normally use Gramps in Linux, where pip is available, but the install doesn't work, and I didn't realize that pip is part of Python. I installed it, and filed an issue on Github, because you need to add all python programs to the PATH to make things work.

And now that I have that right, and downloaded and unzipped allCountries.zip (unzipping is not in the manual, but seems to be required), I still can't run it, because there is no country to select, meaning that the bottom list is empty here.

I think directly interfacing to the Gramps database will be tricky, but it looks like there may be some interest.  I’d love it if someone could try this just as an experiment with a GEDCOM file before I try to get this to work with Gramps.

I'll give it a try. Working with a Gramps database is tricky indeed, because Gramps can use different back-ends, so you need to use the Gramps DBAPI for that. And I don't want to use GEDCOM, because I can't do an export import cycle without risking severe data loss.

That's why I suggest Gramps XML. It can be exported and imported without data loss, and parsing is easier than GEDCOM. If you load a whole tree as an XML document, you can simply work through the place nodes, make the proper corrections, and write a new XML document that can be imported into a new tree. You need to gunzip the .gramps file first, but you can write an uncompressed version, if you want.

Working with Gramps XML makes it easy to see if the program works right, because you can easily use a diff program to see what it does.

I’ve been trying to balance as much automation as possible with as safe output as possible.  This tool will do an automatic correction for any Place that has an EXACT and UNIQUE match to geonames.  For example, Paris,France will result automatically in Paris, Paris, Ile-de-France, France.   If your entry is missing pieces, it will fill them in automatically if it gets a UNIQUE match in the database.  If it doesn’t get a unique match it will try to present the most useful list of addresses and let you click on the one that makes sense.

I would love to try that, but on my Windows, the country lists stay empty, so I can't. And since the install on Linux doesn't work here either, I'm sort of stuck, even when I install pip for Python 3. On most Linuxes, Python 2 is still standard, meaning that on the command line, pip will start the old version.

Would you be able to test things with Linux yourself? I tried this with Linux Mint Debian Edition 2, and the standard version based on Ubuntu bionic.

regards,