Adding media to Gramps

David Lynch
A new source on-line means that I am adding many images to Gramps
(hundreds already).

The "Select a media object" dialog takes about 3 seconds to appear, and
"OK" on the "Media Reference Editor" also takes about 3 seconds to
action. This is slow enough to be frustrating. Otherwise, Gramps is very
acceptably responsive.

It was even slower before I moved these new images to a separate directory.

Is there anything that can be done to speed up the process of adding images?

GRAMPS: GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1
Python: 3.5.2 (default, Nov  1 2016, 01:48:05)  ...
BSDDB: 6.1.0 (6, 0, 30)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
OS: win32

David Lynch

Re: Adding media to Gramps

Philippe Couka
Hi

Drag-and-Drop?

Philippe Couka

A new source on-line means that I am adding many images to Gramps
(hundreds already).

The "Select a media object" dialog takes about 3 seconds to appear, and
"OK" on the "Media Reference Editor" also takes about 3 seconds to
action. This is slow enough to be frustrating. Otherwise, Gramps is very
acceptably responsive.

It was even slower before I moved these new images to a separate directory.

Is there anything that can be done to speed up the process of adding images?

GRAMPS: GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1
Python: 3.5.2 (default, Nov  1 2016, 01:48:05)  ...
BSDDB: 6.1.0 (6, 0, 30)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
OS: win32

David Lynch

Re: Adding media to Gramps

paul womack
David Lynch wrote:
> A new source on-line means that I am adding many images to Gramps
> (hundreds already).
>
> The "Select a media object" dialog takes about 3 seconds to appear, and
> "OK" on the "Media Reference Editor" also takes about 3 seconds to
> action. This is slow enough to be frustrating. Otherwise, Gramps is very
> acceptably responsive.

What object are you editing? A citation? (I guess).

I have a DB with 3248 media objects, and 4236 citations.

I just tried pulling up a citation into the citation editor,
went to the gallery tab, and clicked on the "open existing" button
(AKA share). The resulting menu came up with no lag I could
detect.

Gramps Settings:
----------------
  python    : 3.4.3
  gramps    : 4.2.2
  gtk++     : 3.10.8
  pygobject : 3.12.0
  pango     : 1.36.3
  bsddb     : 6.0.1
  bsddb.db  : 5.3.28
  cairo     : 1.13.1
  pycairo   : 1.10.0
  osmgpsmap : 1.0
  GExiv2    : 0.10
  ICU       : 52.1
  PyICU     : 1.5
  o.s.      : linux
  kernel    : 3.13.0-119-generic

   BugBear

Re: Adding media to Gramps

On 24/05/17 08:46, David Lynch wrote:
> Is there anything that can be done to speed up the process of adding images?

How large are the images?

When you create a new media object, a checksum of the file is
calculated.  This may take a few seconds for large files.

The checksum is used by the Media Verify tool to keep track of files
that are moved.

Re: Adding media to Gramps

David Lynch
On 24/05/2017 15:12, Nick Hall wrote:
> On 24/05/17 08:46, David Lynch wrote:
>> Is there anything that can be done to speed up the process of adding images?
> How large are the images?
1-2 MB
> When you create a new media object, a checksum of the file is
> calculated.  This may take a few seconds for large files.
>
> The checksum is used by the Media Verify tool to keep track of files
> that are moved.
Can I delay this calculation to a time more convenient?

On 24/05/2017 10:09, paul womack wrote:

> I just tried pulling up a citation into the citation editor,
> went to the gallery tab, and clicked on the "open existing" button
> (AKA share). The resulting menu came up with no lag I could
> detect.

It's only adding media that's a problem; Sharing it is fine.

>   BugBear

Re: Adding media to Gramps

Nick Hall
On 24/05/17 16:48, David Lynch wrote:
How large are the images?
1-2 MB

Generating an md5sum for files that size should be very quick.

Re: Adding media to Gramps

paul womack
Nick Hall wrote:
> On 24/05/17 16:48, David Lynch wrote:
>>> How large are the images?
>> 1-2 MB
>
> Generating an md5sum for files that size should be very quick.

I just got the media verify tool to regenerate the checksums
on 509Mb of data in 197 files.

Took about a second.

  BugBear

Re: Adding media to Gramps

Dave Scheipers
Hi all,

Doesn't the add new media also create the thumbnails at this time? Maybe the thumbnail function is causing the most delay.

I've not noticed any significant delay that was irksome when adding a media file while creating a citation, etc. The time to add new media this way has always taken the same amount of time.

But I have noticed that if I have moved a raw media file to a new folder, changed the media record's path field using Media Manager, then gone to its media record, there seems to be a major delay as it generates new thumbnails. Maybe I notice this delay in this scenario because it is not an every day activity so is outside my norm.

Dragging and dropping the raw media files into the media view list is quick, but does cause the need to then edit the other fields in each media record so I don't know what 'time' you would actually save.

On 24/05/17 18:20, Dave Scheipers wrote:
Doesn't the add new media also create the thumbnails at this time? Maybe the thumbnail function is causing the most delay.

Yes, the media editor, media reference editor and add media dialog all create thumbnails.

A new thumbnail will be created if the path changes.