Adding multiple copies of a media item

Martnal
If I want to add a media item, let's say a census form, to all those
named on it who are in my tree, am I right in thinking that I am only
adding a link to the media item, so I am not adding multiple copies of
the actual image?

I'm sure that I have read this somewhere, but I just can't find it.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

---

Martin, SW London

My Gedmatch DNA Kit# is H062246

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.6-1 on Windows 10.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool), Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool), Ballard & Glassop (E. London),  Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool, & Barnington, Yorks.)  Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).  I use GRAMPS 4.2.6 software.

Re: Adding multiple copies of a media item

Martnal
Sorry, an update.

Or should I be adding the census image to a census event, and adding the
event to each participant?

Martin

On 27/06/2018 15:40, Martin H. Watson wrote:

> If I want to add a media item, let's say a census form, to all those
> named on it who are in my tree, am I right in thinking that I am only
> adding a link to the media item, so I am not adding multiple copies of
> the actual image?
>
> I'm sure that I have read this somewhere, but I just can't find it.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Martin

---

Martin, SW London

My Gedmatch DNA Kit# is H062246

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.6-1 on Windows 10.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool), Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool), Ballard & Glassop (E. London),  Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool, & Barnington, Yorks.)  Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).  I use GRAMPS 4.2.6 software.

Re: Adding multiple copies of a media item

Brad Rogers
On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 15:51:24 +0100
"Martin H. Watson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Martin,

>Or should I be adding the census image to a census event, and adding
>the event to each participant?

That's the way I do it (via the Forms Gramplet).

However, to answer your original question, yes you're only linking to
the media object, not adding multiple images, assuming you're doing it
'correctly' (like many things in Gramps, there's more than one way to
skin this particular cat);
Best way to be sure is to add the census image to one person, then drag
that image/event/whatever to the clipboard and from there, drag 'n' drop
it onto all the other participants named in the census image.

--
 Regards  _
I'll be the paint on the side if you'll be the tin

Re: Adding multiple copies of a media item

Oliver Lehmann

I have a Census event for the person in question.
This event has a citation attached of the census page ("Page 13")
which itself has the whole census ("Census Mecklenburg 1819") as a source.

Then I share the same Census event for all persons which belong to the
same family (Father, Mother, Childs share the same event as long as they
live at the same address).

Another Family which might be on the same page of the census will get a
seperate event - but the same citation.

Best regards,
Oliver

"Martin H. Watson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, an update.
>
> Or should I be adding the census image to a census event, and adding
> the event to each participant?
>
> Martin
>

> On 27/06/2018 15:40, Martin H. Watson wrote:
>> If I want to add a media item, let's say a census form, to all
>> those named on it who are in my tree, am I right in thinking that I
>> am only adding a link to the media item, so I am not adding
>> multiple copies of the actual image?
>>
>> I'm sure that I have read this somewhere, but I just can't find it.
>>

>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Martin
>>

> ---

Re: Adding multiple copies of a media item

I prefer to add the original Census event to the head of household, preferably at the family level if there is a living spouse. That way it attaches to the first 2 people with 1 action. Then the clipboard is the fastest way to apply to the event to others.

If you forgot to clipboard the Census, click the "Share an existing event" icon for Events when editing one of the Children. Rather than filtering to Census event Type and searching for the parent, it is faster to click on "Last Change" column header to sort the most recent events to the top.

Drag the census to the clipboard (Crtl+B) to save the extra steps adding it to the next child.

You'll may want to double-click the event each time and update the Role from 'unknown' (I'm torn which Role to select.)  Even without that, when you check the 'References' for the Census event, the parents Type will be listed as 'Family' and the kids as 'Person'

 Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Adding multiple copies of a media item
 To: "Gramps ML" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 10:11 AM

 On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 15:51:24
 +0100
 "Martin H. Watson" <[hidden email]>

 Hello Martin,

 Date: Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 10:11 AM

 On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 15:51:24
 +0100
 "Martin H. Watson" [hidden email]
 wrote:

 Hello Martin,

 >Or should I be adding the census image to a census event, and adding
 >the event to each participant?

 That's the way I do it (via the Forms Gramplet).

 However, to answer your original question, yes you're only linking to the media object, not adding multiple images, assuming you're doing it 'correctly' (like many things in Gramps, there's more than one way to skin this particular cat); Best way to be sure is to add the census image to one person, then drag that image/event/whatever to the clipboard and from there, drag 'n' drop it onto all the other participants named in the census image.

Re: Adding multiple copies of a media item

Brad Rogers
On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 16:05:49 +0000 (UTC)
Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]>
wrote:

Hello Emyoulation---,

>preferably at the family level if there is a living spouse.

Like Ron, I would discourage that.  For the reasons Ron gives;  families
change over time.

I believe only Marriage/Divorce related Events (IOW, anything that is in
the 'Family' section of the Events selection dropdown) go to the family
tab.  Anything else is a personal event shared by individuals.

--
 Regards  _
What the hell has this place done for me?

Re: Adding multiple copies of a media item

That Gramps features support our 2 differing opinions is one of its strengths.

The fluidity of families is EXACTLY the reason I prefer attaching Census events at that level if, and only if, the spouse is also on that family in the Census record. It documents that they are living together as a family at that time.  I do still have to add the events to the Children separately because they could easily have been fostered out or emancipated at any age.

With the same criteria, I add emigration/immigration and residence events at the family level too. I only add property events at the Family level if I'm certain both spouses were legally the property owners. (The ugly truth was that most spouses had no legal standing in property ownership for much of our history. When my g-g-g-grandmother was widowed in 1866, the Orphan's Court had to appoint someone to administer the sale of their home.)

 To: [hidden email]

  Date: Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 10:11 AM

  Hello Martin,

  >Or should I be adding the census image to a census event, and adding
  >the event to each participant?

  That's the way I do it (via the Forms Gramplet).

  However, to answer your original question, yes you're only linking to the media object, not adding multiple images, assuming you're doing it 'correctly' (like many things in Gramps, there's more than one way to skin this particular cat); Best way to be sure is to add the census image to one person, then drag that image/event/whatever to the clipboard and from there, drag 'n' drop it onto all the other participants named in the census image.

Re: Adding multiple copies of a media item

When I first started with Gramps, I added all that stuff as Family events,
since... they happened to members of the family all at the same time.  After
a while, though, I realised the confusion it was causing, and moved
everything except marriage-related events into Persons.

Embrace object sharing!!!

On 06/27/2018 11:45 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>
>    Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Adding multiple copies of a
>   media item
>    To: "Gramps ML" <[hidden email]>
>    Date: Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 10:11 AM
>
>    Hello Martin,
>
>    >Or should I be adding the census image to a census event, and adding
>    >the event to each participant?
>
>    That's the way I do it (via the Forms Gramplet).
>
>    However, to answer your original question, yes you're only linking to the media object, not adding multiple images, assuming you're doing it 'correctly' (like many things in Gramps, there's more than one way to skin this particular cat); Best way to be sure is to add the census image to one person, then drag that image/event/whatever to the clipboard and from there, drag 'n' drop it onto all the other participants named in the census image.

Re: Adding multiple copies of a media item

I agree that attaching at the family level instead of Person level adds complexity. However, the complexity is accurate since certain events didn't, and in some cases couldn't, happen as individuals. Sometimes emigrations occurred in stages... the husband going ahead and the spouse & kids following. Other times they entire family migrates together.

Since early American immigration documents individually identified adult white males while only summing the females, minors and indentured, a family immigration event reflects that uncertainty.

 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 11:54 AM

 wrote:
 > That Gramps features support our 2
 differing opinions is one of its strengths.

 > The fluidity of families is
 EXACTLY the reason I prefer attaching Census events at that
 level if, and only if, the spouse is also on that family in
 the Census record. It documents that they are living
 together as a family at that time.  I do still have to
 add the events to the Children separately because they could
 easily have been fostered out or emancipated at any age.

 > With the same criteria, I add
 emigration/immigration and residence events at the family
 level too. I only add property events at the Family level if
 I'm certain both spouses were legally the property owners.
 (The ugly truth was that most spouses had no legal standing
 in property ownership for much of our history. When my
 g-g-g-grandmother was widowed in 1866, the Orphan's Court
 had to appoint someone to administer the sale of their
 home.)

 > On Wed, 6/27/18, Ron Johnson
 <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

 >   Subject: Re: [Gramps-users]
 Adding multiple copies of a media item
 >   To: [hidden email]
 >   Date: Wednesday, June 27,
 2018, 11:14 AM

 > I strongly disagree with attaching
 census events at the family level, because families are so
 fluid: people are born, get married, divorced, move, die,
 etc.  You'll wind up with census  events scattered all
 over the place.  Better to share a census event with each
 relevant Person.

 > Family events events are only for
 marriage related events (banns, wedding, divorce, etc).
 The term "Family" really is a poor term, though I can't
 think of a better one.

 >         On
 06/27/2018 11:05 AM, Emyoulation--- via
 >   Gramps-users wrote:
 >
 > I prefer to add the original
 Census event to the head of household, preferably at the
 family level if there is a living spouse. That way it
 attaches to the first 2 people with 1 action. Then the
 clipboard is the fastest way to apply to the event to
 others.

 >   If you forgot to clipboard
 the Census, click the "Share an existing event" icon for
 Events when editing one of the Children. Rather than
 filtering to Census event Type and searching for the parent,
 it is faster to click on "Last Change" column header to sort
 the most recent events to the top.

 >   Drag the census to the
 clipboard (Crtl+B) to save the extra steps adding it to the
 next child.

 >   You'll may want to
 double-click the event each time and update the Role from
 'unknown' (I'm torn which Role to select.)  Even
 without that, when you check the 'References' for the Census
 event, the parents Type will be listed as 'Family' and the
 kids as 'Person'

 >   On Wed, 6/27/18, Brad
 Rogers <[hidden email]>
 >   wrote:
 >
 >    Subject: Re:
 [Gramps-users] Adding multiple copies of a
 >   media item
 >    To: "Gramps ML"
 <[hidden email]>
 >    Date: Wednesday, June
 27, 2018, 10:11 AM

 >    Hello Martin,
 >
 >    >Or should I be
 adding the census image to a census event, and adding
 >    >the event to each
 participant?

 >    That's the way I do
 it (via the Forms Gramplet).

 >    However, to answer
 your original question, yes you're only linking to the media
 object, not adding multiple images, assuming you're doing it
 'correctly' (like many things in Gramps, there's more than
 one way to skin this particular cat); Best way to be sure is
 to add the census image to one person, then drag that
 image/event/whatever to the clipboard and from there, drag
 'n' drop it onto all the other participants named in the
 census image.

 --
 Angular momentum makes the world go
 'round.

Re: Adding multiple copies of a media item

Dave Scheipers
Hi all
When ever possible, I give each person their own event and their own
citation. It depends on how the underlying image is structured. Most
of my census records are US which staring in 1850 gives each person
their own line number which is the major fact that determines if they
get a shared event or their own. After building/selecting the "HOH"
and copying these components to the clipboard, it is easy to build
each person's individual event with unique citation.

If the event record is more family based, English census records come
to mind, then I will use the shared event method.

A while back, I asked about putting the 1790-1840 US census events in
the Family record. These only list HOH with a breakdown of numbers.
The resounding opinion was to leave these with the Head of Household.

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 1:26 PM, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  >    >the event to each
>  participant?
>  >
>  >    That's the way I do
>  it (via the Forms Gramplet).
>  >
>  >    However, to answer
>  your original question, yes you're only linking to the media
>  object, not adding multiple images, assuming you're doing it
>  'correctly' (like many things in Gramps, there's more than
>  one way to skin this particular cat); Best way to be sure is
>  to add the census image to one person, then drag that
>  image/event/whatever to the clipboard and from there, drag
>  'n' drop it onto all the other participants named in the
>  census image.
>

>  --
>  Angular momentum makes the world go
>  'round.

Re: Adding multiple copies of a media item

Each person gets a unique citation? Why aren't they sharing a common citation?

On 06/27/2018 02:17 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Hi all
> When ever possible, I give each person their own event and their own
> citation. It depends on how the underlying image is structured. Most
> of my census records are US which staring in 1850 gives each person
> their own line number which is the major fact that determines if they
> get a shared event or their own. After building/selecting the "HOH"
> and copying these components to the clipboard, it is easy to build
> each person's individual event with unique citation.
>
> If the event record is more family based, English census records come
> to mind, then I will use the shared event method.
>
> A while back, I asked about putting the 1790-1840 US census events in
> the Family record. These only list HOH with a breakdown of numbers.
> The resounding opinion was to leave these with the Head of Household.

Re: Adding multiple copies of a media item

Dave Scheipers
The citation would have as the last bit of information .... Line:##

If it was a shared event, that last part would be .... Family:##   or
whatever else was the identifying information.

As I said, utilizing the clipboard (and it has gotten easier after the
bug was fixed) i load it with all the components to drag-n-drop into
the event and citation for each individual and it is simple to just
add the correct line number.

I admit, individual citations are not always practical. Sometimes it
just makes more sense to go with the shared event with one 'Family"
citation. It all depends on the type of information I find.

And to be clear, I do not use the Form gramplet. When I share events,
I use the clipboard.

Just another example of the various ways Gramps can be used to meet
our own needs or proclivities.

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 3:28 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Each person gets a unique citation? Why aren't they sharing a common
> citation?
>
> On 06/27/2018 02:17 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>
>> Hi all
>> When ever possible, I give each person their own event and their own
>> citation. It depends on how the underlying image is structured. Most
>> of my census records are US which staring in 1850 gives each person
>> their own line number which is the major fact that determines if they
>> get a shared event or their own. After building/selecting the "HOH"
>> and copying these components to the clipboard, it is easy to build
>> each person's individual event with unique citation.
>>
>> If the event record is more family based, English census records come
>> to mind, then I will use the shared event method.
>>
>> A while back, I asked about putting the 1790-1840 US census events in
>> the Family record. These only list HOH with a breakdown of numbers.
>> The resounding opinion was to leave these with the Head of Household.
>

> --
> Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: Adding multiple copies of a media item

I don't use forms either.  My Source is -- for example -- the "US Census
1880", and under that I create a Citation based upon the location,
book/page/lines for a particular "unit of people".  That gets shared amongst
all the relevant people (typically father, mother and children).

On 06/27/2018 03:03 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> The citation would have as the last bit of information .... Line:##
>
> If it was a shared event, that last part would be .... Family:##   or
> whatever else was the identifying information.
>
> As I said, utilizing the clipboard (and it has gotten easier after the
> bug was fixed) i load it with all the components to drag-n-drop into
> the event and citation for each individual and it is simple to just
> add the correct line number.
>
> I admit, individual citations are not always practical. Sometimes it
> just makes more sense to go with the shared event with one 'Family"
> citation. It all depends on the type of information I find.
>
> And to be clear, I do not use the Form gramplet. When I share events,
> I use the clipboard.
>
> Just another example of the various ways Gramps can be used to meet
> our own needs or proclivities.
>
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 3:28 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Each person gets a unique citation? Why aren't they sharing a common
>> citation?
>>
>> On 06/27/2018 02:17 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>> When ever possible, I give each person their own event and their own
>>> citation. It depends on how the underlying image is structured. Most
>>> of my census records are US which staring in 1850 gives each person
>>> their own line number which is the major fact that determines if they
>>> get a shared event or their own. After building/selecting the "HOH"
>>> and copying these components to the clipboard, it is easy to build
>>> each person's individual event with unique citation.
>>>
>>> If the event record is more family based, English census records come
>>> to mind, then I will use the shared event method.
>>>
>>> A while back, I asked about putting the 1790-1840 US census events in
>>> the Family record. These only list HOH with a breakdown of numbers.
>>> The resounding opinion was to leave these with the Head of Household.

Re: Adding multiple copies of a media item

Dave Scheipers
I do all that but with the singular Line.

I'll give an example where this has its advantages. For an in-law, I
will often include the last census record before they married my
relative. But I am only interested in that person and their parents.
So the parents will be as an example lines 9 & 10 and my in-law line
15. This method clearly ignores lines 11-14 and anyone after 15. And I
do not have to explain the extra hired hand or servant found in census
records unless they become relevant, like marrying the younger
daughter.

As I said, this is one of the great things about Gramps. There are as
many ways of compiling the information as there are users. No one way
is correct. It probably has more to do with how we each initially
started. Now, there are too may records to convert to another way of
doing things. I originally started with each census image as the
Source. Fortunately I quickly realized that would be unworkable. It
was still a lot of work to edit them into the citations under the more
global "U.S. 1880 Federal Census"