Adding non family events

Martnal
This post was updated on .
I am thinking about adding non-family events to my database. I would be interested in comments from anybody who has considered this and either rejected the idea or has gone ahead with it, and how you have implemented it.

I'm considering adding national events such as wars, changes of leader or sovereign, new technology and local events such as a new transport system or industry.  For example, a railway reaching your town would have a major impact on the family for a generation.  Some events would only have a local impact, while others would affect anyone living at the time.

Apologies if this is off-topic, but I doubt that I am the only one to consider it.  It's also interesting from the point of view of recording the dates of things that change the way we look at family history such as transport, technology such as photography, sound recording, etc.

Martin

Martin, SW London

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London, Hull and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and elsewhere).