Adding unknown GEDCOM tags MacOS

J & E Neild
Hi,

I have Gramps 4.2.5 on a MacOS machine, I'm trying to import a Gedcom file where the middle names are being exported with a SECG "Second Given Name" tag. Gramps appears to be ignoring it. Some of the posts I fond mentioned it may be possible to change a config file for the python Gedcom library, but I can't find it in my install.

Pointers gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

James

Re: Adding unknown GEDCOM tags MacOS

prculley
James;
the SECG tag is one of many that are NOT defined by the Gedcom standard, but are produced by software (probably Mac family Tree in your case).

Gramps does not have a 'config file' that deals with this.  But being open source, you can of course modify anything or everything to suit your needs.  Most of the import code is in something\gramps\plugins\lib\libgedcom.py where 'something' depends on your OS.  The learning curve can be a bit steep for most folks, however.

Since I have been maintaining the Gedcom import code lately, I might consider making the modifications to support this if I knew what the tag really means, and had a good proposal on what to do with it.  I'm guessing that we would use this to create an "Alternative name"; in Gramps edit a person, look at the 'Names" tab and add another name.

You should submit this proposal to the Gramps bug tracker (use severity:'feature') with a sample Gedcom file attached that contained at least one of the SEGC tags in its usual usage.

Paul C.

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 10:36 PM, J & E Neild <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I have Gramps 4.2.5 on a MacOS machine, I'm trying to import a Gedcom file where the middle names are being exported with a SECG "Second Given Name" tag. Gramps appears to be ignoring it. Some of the posts I fond mentioned it may be possible to change a config file for the python Gedcom library, but I can't find it in my install.

Pointers gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

James

Re: Adding unknown GEDCOM tags MacOS

manzi.sam
Existing Feature request

9912: Add support for Custom GEDCOM tags that MacFamilyTree uses

SECG - SECond Given name - bei mehreren Vornamen alle ab dem 2. als UnterTag von NAME (MFT7)

http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/GEDCOM/_Nutzerdef-Tag