Addon Rules for Gramps 5.1

GRAMPS - Dev mailing list
I'm in the process of adding a page for the new feature of version 5.1 that allows Rules to be added via the PlugIn Manager.
I'm wondering if adding Rules isn't a little TOO transparent?

It seems like maybe the version of the Rule should be displayed as you are adding Rules to a custom Filter?  Otherwise, it might be difficult to tell if you're getting different results than someone else documents because one is an older version.

Also, when clicking Info in the Enhanced Plugin Manager, would it be possible to report which Category & Filter grouping will contain the new Rule?

Finally, I wonder if the manual's sections don't need to be renamed throughout Custom Filters?  We're adding Rules in most cases after creating a custom filter, not more filters. Shouldn't the Section 4 be named "Which Rules in which Category?" instead be "which filters"? And the similarly for the followingsections

Re: Addon Rules for Gramps 5.1

prculley

I'm wondering if adding Rules isn't a little TOO transparent?

It seems like maybe the version of the Rule should be displayed as you are adding Rules to a custom Filter?  Otherwise, it might be difficult to tell if you're getting different results than someone else documents because one is an older version.

I would hope a rule doesn't change often enough or incompatibly enough that this becomes an issue.  Displaying a version would either require significant changes to Gramps core code, or editing the name/description with a version in the string at each change.  If done manually, would be all too likely to be an error, if automatically, changes to the addon release process.  And then there is the version number; at the moment we are putting all filter rules in a single addon with a single number.  What would a user think if he saw the version had changed only because someone had added a new rule or translation?

Also, when clicking Info in the Enhanced Plugin Manager, would it be possible to report which Category & Filter grouping will contain the new Rule?

Anything is possible 🤔, but only the main category would be relatively easy (and then only for installed addons, those not yet installed don't have that data available).   The Filter grouping is buried in the rule code itself, and usually only read by the filter editor.  So it would be rather more difficult to find and display.

Finally, I wonder if the manual's sections don't need to be renamed throughout Custom Filters?  We're adding Rules in most cases after creating a custom filter, not more filters. Shouldn't the Section 4 be named "Which Rules in which Category?" instead be "which filters"? And the similarly for the followingsections

From a language precision point of view you are correct.  But I have to wonder if most people would really care, and changes like this are supposed to trigger new translations of the wiki pages, so more work for multiple people.  I personally don't think it is worth it.