Adult family name change handling in Gramps

Adult family name change handling in Gramps

Oldest1

Using Gramps 4.2.6 Win 10 AIO

One of the individuals in my database has chosen to legally change his family name at some point in his adult life - and not because of marriage - and he no longer wishes to be know by his former family name nor want his family name 'hyphenated' in any way.

Right now, I have tried using the name editor to record this 'event' because I could not find a way to record it as an event and have recorded the date in a note. After all this experimentation, I have decide that the 'Multiple Surnames' panel is not intended for this sort of case.

I had hoped to be able to use a 'legal' event, but have not been able to make that work either.

After poking around the mail list, some messages seem to refer to the possibility of adding a 'date' - using the name editor and  after working with the 'Names' editor - in the 'General' panel, adjacent to the 'events' tab, but am not really happy with the options I have been able to arrange.

My difficulties are:

1) Adding the new name is no problem,  but none of the 4 available options  for name type: "birth name, married name, aka, unknown" describes the type properly.

2 ) even if I add the new name and decide to live with either unknown or aka, there seems to be no way to really make the displayed descriptions 'fit' or arrange the names such the the evidently preferred new name is listed as the preferred name or even move the names up or down to the proper/desired position.

3) in the alpha sorted list of surnames, the individual ends up under his non-preferred old name.

In going through all of these exercises, I (think I ) now understand the 'multiple' surname panel better, but, assuming I do understand correctly, I can see no way to handle the situation of such a legal name change in a satisfactory way.

Arnold

Re: Adult family name change handling in Gramps

Dave Scheipers
Hi Arnold

The name editor is the logical way to handle name changes. It has been
so long that I forgot how few option Types there were. I have added
Legal as an option for a name being changed through the courts (which
could also be an event). Adoptive Name is one I use when a child's
name changes through adoption, either legally or through custom. I am
cleaning and documenting an extensive database and fixing names is a
major endeavor. People are not 'Born' with the Title 'Reverend' So I
am separating the Birth Name from all of the various ways someone is
known. If Legal does not apply in the case you cite, I use the 'Also
Known As' option. Remember, any option you create will not translate
if this is important to you.

The Birth Name does not have to be the Preferred Name. You can
drag-n-drop any of the alternative names into the Preferred Name slot.
So in the scenario I would put the name he uses or known as as the
preferred name. The name editor has a date field. It also has notes
and citation tabs  So you can make clear just what is happening.

The dual surname is an awkward tool. I see it as showing how and
possibly when the spelling of a surname has changed. Putting two
spelling options together on the same record. The duel surname plays
havoc with lists so I avoid it.  In these cases I put the Birth Name
that of their father's name. But if at the their time of death, the
new spelling was dominant, I'd put as AKA and in the Preferred slot..

I hope this helps, Dave

On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 5:24 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Using Gramps 4.2.6 Win 10 AIO
>
> One of the individuals in my database has chosen to legally change his
> family name at some point in his adult life - and not because of marriage -
> and he no longer wishes to be know by his former family name nor want his
> family name 'hyphenated' in any way.
>
> Right now, I have tried using the name editor to record this 'event' because
> I could not find a way to record it as an event and have recorded the date
> in a note. After all this experimentation, I have decide that the 'Multiple
> Surnames' panel is not intended for this sort of case.
>
> I had hoped to be able to use a 'legal' event, but have not been able to
> make that work either.
>
> After poking around the mail list, some messages seem to refer to the
> possibility of adding a 'date' - using the name editor and  after working
> with the 'Names' editor - in the 'General' panel, adjacent to the 'events'
> tab, but am not really happy with the options I have been able to arrange.
>
> My difficulties are:
>
> 1) Adding the new name is no problem,  but none of the 4 available options
> for name type: "birth name, married name, aka, unknown" describes the type
> properly.
>
> 2 ) even if I add the new name and decide to live with either unknown or
> aka, there seems to be no way to really make the displayed descriptions
> 'fit' or arrange the names such the the evidently preferred new name is
> listed as the preferred name or even move the names up or down to the
> proper/desired position.
>
> 3) in the alpha sorted list of surnames, the individual ends up under his
> non-preferred old name.
>
> In going through all of these exercises, I (think I ) now understand the
> 'multiple' surname panel better, but, assuming I do understand correctly, I
> can see no way to handle the situation of such a legal name change in a
> satisfactory way.
>
> Arnold

Re: Adult family name change handling in Gramps

Oldest1

Hi Dave,

thank you for clarifying.

On 11/12/2017 5:15 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
Hi Arnold

The name editor is the logical way to handle name changes. It has been
so long that I forgot how few option Types there were. I have added
Legal as an option
After you mentioned that you had changed this type I tried as well.
And lo & behold, despite Gramps complaining, it 'took'.
Another surprise.
I am sure I tried before, but what with the cursor changing to an overwrite 'block' and the warning 'groans' from Gramps, I gave up.
for a name being changed through the courts (which
could also be an event). Adoptive Name is one I use when a child's
name changes through adoption, either legally or through custom. I am
cleaning and documenting an extensive database and fixing names is a
major endeavor. People are not 'Born' with the Title 'Reverend' So I
am separating the Birth Name from all of the various ways someone is
known. If Legal does not apply in the case you cite, I use the 'Also
Known As' option. Remember, any option you create will not translate
if this is important to you.

From the Wiki I conclude that the 'Multiple Name' editor features seem to be included/present to handle some of those long multi-part Hispanic names, and for those it may well make sense and, at the same time,  present a bit of a puzzle to those of us not used to them.

Then again, for some of the longer names of 'blue bloods' in Europe, it may well be useful as well, particularly for names which were forced to change when the privileges associated with such titles were abolished by law and the extra bits if the title were simply retained as part of the name.

As for translation, I feel certain that legal name changes are not restricted to countries in the English speaking world so that an equivalent phrase or word in whatever language ought to exist.

If the practice of changing a name is legal, there ought to be a term for it :-)

The Birth Name does not have to be the Preferred Name. You can
drag-n-drop any of the alternative names into the Preferred Name slot.
So in the scenario I would put the name he uses or known as as the
preferred name. The name editor has a date field. It also has notes
and citation tabs  So you can make clear just what is happening.

The dual surname is an awkward tool. I see it as showing how and
possibly when the spelling of a surname has changed. Putting two
spelling options together on the same record. The duel surname plays
havoc with lists so I avoid it.  In these cases I put the Birth Name
that of their father's name. But if at the their time of death, the
new spelling was dominant, I'd put as AKA and in the Preferred slot..
As for the drag-n-drop in the Name editor, surprisingly it works, even though the up/down arrows do not. Good to know, but a bit strange/unexpected.

In this one particular case I now seem to have as close to what I was expecting, aside from my using AKA instead of a better descriptive phrase or word.

I hope this helps, Dave

It did :-)

Arnold