Advice for installing the latest Gramps on Linux Mint 18.3

Advice for installing the latest Gramps on Linux Mint 18.3

ceperman
It was suggested that to get around a problem I'm having with my current version of Gramps (4.2.2) I upgrade to the latest 5.0.1. I'm on Linux Mint 18.3.

>You can install the most current version of Gramps using the following instructions from the Linux Mint Forums

This describes installing 4.2.2 - does anyone have instructions for 5.0.1? I imagine the dependencies will be different. The instructions for Linux on the Download page are really quite off-putting. I don't want to be a pioneer!

Incidentally, I am confused by the description of the Gramps backup as "XML". I've looked inside a .gpkg file before and don't see XML. It's not important, just curious.

Thanks,
Chris Wood

Re: Advice for installing the latest Gramps on Linux Mint 18.3

enno

Hi Chris,

This describes installing 4.2.2 - does anyone have instructions for 5.0.1? I imagine the dependencies will be different. The instructions for Linux on the Download page are really quite off-putting. I don't want to be a pioneer!

The instructions are quite wordy, for an autist like me, but the basics are simple:

https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download#Debian-based

If you follow these, i.e. download the .deb, and double click it once you've found in the Downloads folder, Mint will automatically figure out whether it needs extra packages, and download them for you. The only thing you have to do is ignore the warning that the official repository has an older version that might be safer. All Gramps downloads are safe.

Incidentally, I am confused by the description of the Gramps backup as "XML". I've looked inside a .gpkg file before and don't see XML. It's not important, just curious.

That's because it's compressed with gzip. If you change the extension to .gz, and then run gunzip on it, or double click it in the file manager, you will see that it's an archive with media and a .gramps file in it, which is XML.

Note that, when you create a backup without media, the resulting .gramps file is compressed too, so you need to apply the same recipe to access the uncompressed .gramps inside.

Cheers,

On 5/5/19 2:49 AM, Chris Wood wrote:
It was suggested that to get around a problem I'm having with my current version of Gramps (4.2.2) I upgrade to the latest 5.0.1. I'm on Linux Mint 18.3.

>You can install the most current version of Gramps using the following instructions from the Linux Mint Forums

This describes installing 4.2.2 - does anyone have instructions for 5.0.1? I imagine the dependencies will be different. The instructions for Linux on the Download page are really quite off-putting. I don't want to be a pioneer!

Incidentally, I am confused by the description of the Gramps backup as "XML". I've looked inside a .gpkg file before and don't see XML. It's not important, just curious.

.gpkg files are gzipped tarballs.  For example:

ron@haggis:~$ gunzip -kc Gilbert\,\ Catherine\ Heather.gpkg | tar tv
-rw-rw-r-- ron/ron      495849 2016-07-13 09:12 1901_McCarville,_Terence_census_form_A.pdf
-r-------- ron/ron      594175 2017-03-31 17:04 1914_Gilbert,_Josephine_marriage_2.jpg
[snip]
-rwxrwxr-- ron/ron       60976 2015-01-14 14:16 1901_Pearce,_Reuben_birth.tif
-rw-r--r-- 1000/1000    330220 2018-06-23 11:26 data.gramps

Re: Advice for installing the latest Gramps on Linux Mint 18.3

ceperman
Thanks for the advice Enno. Wasn't sure if I needed to remove the old version first, but I did. Installing the new version was simple and without drama. The new version has fixed the problem with Family Lines. Great stuff!

I tend to be nervous of upgrading packages that come with the distribution because of my experiences upgrading digiKam some years ago. The new version had upgraded dependencies that were not backwards compatible, so when I had problems with the new version, reverting to the previous digiKam was a pain. I'm glad to say Gramps doesn't suffer these problems.

Chris Wood