Quantcast

American County advice

Martnal
I have a relative born in Cape Girardeau, a city in Cape Girardeau and Scott counties in the U.S. state of Missouri.

How should I handle that, when I want to specify what geographic entity surrounds the city of Cape Girardeau?  Do I say it is individually surrounded by them both?  To clarify, do I make two entries under 'Surrounded by', or do I create a new entry for the two counties together?

Thanks,  Martin

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Re: American County advice

paul womack
Martnal wrote:
> I have a relative born in Cape Girardeau, a city in Cape Girardeau and Scott
> counties in the U.S. state of Missouri.
>
> How should I handle that, when I want to specify what geographic entity
> surrounds the city of Cape Girardeau?  Do I say it is individually
> surrounded by them both?  To clarify, do I make two entries under
> 'Surrounded by', or do I create a new entry for the two counties together?

You might also consider creating a "half city", so that half of the city
  "Cape Girardeau City A" is in "Cape Girardeau County" and
  "Cape Girardeau City B" is in Scott County". (Silly names for clarity)

The only reason to do this is if you wish to be precise
about which side of the County border a sub-element
(like a district, street or building) is.

If not, I would go with your first proposal - the city is in 2 counties,
and Gramps allows you to say exactly that.

  BugBear

Re: American County advice

Martnal
Paul, Ron,

Many thanks.

Martin

--
*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)

---

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Re: American County advice

Hi Martin,

In this particular case, I'd Locate it  in Cape Girardeau county. Looking at it's wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Girardeau,_Missouri  more than 95% of the city is in Cape Girardeau county.

Another thing to consider, are the records stored at the county level and if so, which one.

In my part of the U.S., communities are only ever in one county. County lines are easy to move.

I suppose you can put both counties in the enclosed by tab with no dates and with Cape Girardeau county as the primary.

Dave

PS: I add the wiki page in under the Internet tab.

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Typically in situations like this, the town is predominately in one county.  When there's less than a smidge in one county, I'd create a county Place named "Cape Girardeau and Scott".  Unless, of course, you know the address and can determine which county they actually live in.

Wikipedia is really useful in these situations.

On 03/22/2017 07:39 AM, Martnal wrote:
I have a relative born in Cape Girardeau, a city in Cape Girardeau and Scott
counties in the U.S. state of Missouri.

How should I handle that, when I want to specify what geographic entity
surrounds the city of Cape Girardeau?  Do I say it is individually
surrounded by them both?  To clarify, do I make two entries under
'Surrounded by', or do I create a new entry for the two counties together?

Thanks,  Martin

Re: American County advice

Martnal
There are more questions than answers...

Thanks Dave.  I think I will get the counties to realign it.

Martin

http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

--
*´¨)

---