An odd email, subject "Deleted posts"

Martnal
I can't find any mention of this.  I just noticed that I received an email
with this subject, on 30th August, from 'Nabble'.

The text says,

*Dear user,

Some of your posts have been deleted from GRAMPS
and we are sending you copies so that you have a chance to save them.

Sincerely,
The Nabble team*

It has an attcahed zip file, "Re: Same sex marriage features.zip".  Of
course I didn't open the attachment.  It sounds very suspicious, but I just
wonder if it could be genuine.  However, I don't think I have ever
contributed to a thread with this subject.  I've been on holiday, sio I am a
bit behind on reading the GRAMPS forum.

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: An odd email, subject "Deleted posts"

Peter Merchant
Definitely a *Nasty* in my mind.
PeterM
On 03/09/2019 17:14, Martnal wrote:

> I can't find any mention of this.  I just noticed that I received an email
> with this subject, on 30th August, from 'Nabble'.
>
> The text says,
>
> *Dear user,
>
> Some of your posts have been deleted from GRAMPS
> and we are sending you copies so that you have a chance to save them.
>
> Sincerely,
> The Nabble team*
>
> It has an attcahed zip file, "Re: Same sex marriage features.zip".  Of
> course I didn't open the attachment.  It sounds very suspicious, but I just
> wonder if it could be genuine.  However, I don't think I have ever
> contributed to a thread with this subject.  I've been on holiday, sio I am a
> bit behind on reading the GRAMPS forum.
>
> Martin
>

> -----
>
> Martin, SW London
>
> Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
> FT-DNA Kit B388093.
>
> Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
> Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
> Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
> Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
> Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).
>
> I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: An odd email, subject "Deleted posts"

Charles T. Bell
The best way to tell is to check the "from:" address and make sure it
matches the "reply-to:" address.  Just for good measure I NEVER open
something sent to me without verifying its provenance.

You should never open an attachment that comes from someone you don't
know personally and can email them with your copy of their email
address.  Just FYI!

As you showed wisdom in not opening the attachment, I think you are
doing well, keep it up.

Good luck!

Charles Bell

On 9/3/19 1:03 PM, Peter Merchant wrote:

> Definitely a *Nasty* in my mind.
> PeterM
> On 03/09/2019 17:14, Martnal wrote:
>> I can't find any mention of this.  I just noticed that I received an email
>> with this subject, on 30th August, from 'Nabble'.
>>
>> The text says,
>>
>> *Dear user,
>>
>> Some of your posts have been deleted from GRAMPS
>> and we are sending you copies so that you have a chance to save them.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> The Nabble team*
>>
>> It has an attcahed zip file, "Re: Same sex marriage features.zip".  Of
>> course I didn't open the attachment.  It sounds very suspicious, but I just
>> wonder if it could be genuine.  However, I don't think I have ever
>> contributed to a thread with this subject.  I've been on holiday, sio I am a
>> bit behind on reading the GRAMPS forum.
>>
>> Martin
>>

>> -----
>>
>> Martin, SW London
>>
>> Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
>> FT-DNA Kit B388093.
>>
>> Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
>> Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
>> Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
>> Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
>> Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).
>>
>> I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
>> --
>> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: An odd email, subject "Deleted posts"

Martnal
While I am well aware of what this could potentially do, and how to avoid it
happening, my main concern is how did somebody get an email address that I
only use for the GRAMPS forum?  Having my own domain means I can create a
unique address for any service I use.

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: An odd email, subject "Deleted posts"

Brad Rogers
On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 08:44:14 -0500 (CDT)
Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Martnal,

>happening, my main concern is how did somebody get an email address
>that I only use for the GRAMPS forum?

*Any* email address, used even once, is ripe for plucking.

The *only* way to be sure your addy isn't harvested is to _never_ use it.

>Having my own domain

In this context, is meaningless.  That is to say, it affords no extra
protection from harvesting whatsoever.

--
 Regards  _
I'll be the rubbish you'll be the bin

Re: An odd email, subject "Deleted posts"

The archived threaded messages on Nabble include header information with return addresses.

Someone constructing malware to exploit Nabble would probably use the threads in their database to seed the target eMail addresses, subject lines, zip filename, & spoofed sender info.

It's one of the reasons I like that these emails aren't supposed to have attachments. (Notwithstanding the twisted crap the Yahoo editor applies to my messages.) If you see attachments from Gramps & Nabble, it is a red flag.

-Brian

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 8:53, Martnal
While I am well aware of what this could potentially do, and how to avoid it
happening, my main concern is how did somebody get an email address that I
only use for the GRAMPS forum?  Having my own domain means I can create a
unique address for any service I use.

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: An odd email, subject "Deleted posts"

Seymour J Metz
However, having your own mail server, and appropriate filtering on that server, can help.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

>happening, my main concern is how did somebody get an email address
>that I only use for the GRAMPS forum?

*Any* email address, used even once, is ripe for plucking.

The *only* way to be sure your addy isn't harvested is to _never_ use it.

>Having my own domain

In this context, is meaningless.  That is to say, it affords no extra
protection from harvesting whatsoever.

--
 Regards  _
I'll be the rubbish you'll be the bin
Love Song - The Damned

Re: An odd email, subject "Deleted posts"

Brad Rogers
On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 19:49:51 +0000
Seymour J Metz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Seymour,

>However, having your own mail server, and appropriate filtering on that
>server, can help.

That can only stop you _seeing_ bad things(1).  It can't stop the
harvesting.  Furthermore, you're still receiving them.

(1)  Some, not all.  No filtering regime is 100% effective.

--
 Regards  _
Tell the dinosaurs they just won't survive

Re: An odd email, subject "Deleted posts"

Seymour J Metz
>  Furthermore, you're still receiving them.

No. If your e-mail server is filtering on delivery then it's not appropriate. If it's doing the filtering where it should then you aren't receiving the filtered messages. RFC 2505 is your friend.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3