AncestorTree report enhancement

Guillaume VIRLET
Hello,

I am new to this list and would like to know if I can propose a small
enhancement to the AncestorTree plugin.
Indeed, for my personal usage I modified this plugin to allow to have
the center person on the right of the report rather than on the left (as
it is today).

I have modified the code and added an option (default value is left to
keep the report unchanged compare to current behavior).
I still need to add translation (but I would do it only if the principle
of this enhancement is accepted).

I do not want to start the process of creating a feature request, code
review and commit if this is not something that will never go in the tool.

Let me know.
Regards,

     Guillaume.

Re: AncestorTree report enhancement

Nick Hall
On 30/08/14 22:39, Guillaume VIRLET wrote:

> I am new to this list and would like to know if I can propose a small
> enhancement to the AncestorTree plugin.
> Indeed, for my personal usage I modified this plugin to allow to have
> the center person on the right of the report rather than on the left (as
> it is today).
>
> I have modified the code and added an option (default value is left to
> keep the report unchanged compare to current behavior).
> I still need to add translation (but I would do it only if the principle
> of this enhancement is accepted).
>
> I do not want to start the process of creating a feature request, code
> review and commit if this is not something that will never go in the tool.

Your enhancement sounds like it would probably be accepted.

The next step is to create a feature request, and attach a patch to it.
Then post back here with a link to the feature request.

Re: AncestorTree report enhancement

Paul Franklin-5
> Your enhancement sounds like it would probably be accepted.

I agree.

Although of course we would need to review it first, and
possibly ask you to revise it.

I have several comments, however.

One is that since all such feature requests are implemented
in the development version of gramps, make sure your patch
works on the "master" (formerly "trunk") git branch.

Second is that since the AncestorTree is a sister report of
the DescendantTree report, since each utilize the same library
files, I think it would be nice if you added your feature to both.

Third is to keep in the back of your mind the possibility that
both reports might also be modified to show their results in a
top-down fashion.  Sometime.  (We have had such a feature
requested.)  I don't suppose you could investigate whether
your patch can be enhanced to do that also?

And last is the fact that there are several bugs reported for
the format the names are displayed in, so I hope to fix those
bugs relatively soon, somehow.

(By the way, I am not the author of those reports.  He is just
not very active at the moment.)

Re: AncestorTree report enhancement

Guillaume VIRLET
Hi,

Thanks both for your answer.

I will work in the coming days/weeks to ensure:
  1- my patch is working against master.
  2- DescendantTree is enhanced the same way

I am not sure that I have the time to work on the top-down layout.
No problem to have the patch reviewed and reworked if necessary (as I am
new to Gramps, I still have certainly to learn better the rules to follow).

I'll let you know as soon as the feature request is created and the
patch attached.

Guillaume.

Le 31/08/2014 19:20, Paul Franklin a écrit :

>> Your enhancement sounds like it would probably be accepted.
> I agree.
>
> Although of course we would need to review it first, and
> possibly ask you to revise it.
>
> I have several comments, however.
>
> One is that since all such feature requests are implemented
> in the development version of gramps, make sure your patch
> works on the "master" (formerly "trunk") git branch.
>
> Second is that since the AncestorTree is a sister report of
> the DescendantTree report, since each utilize the same library
> files, I think it would be nice if you added your feature to both.
>
> Third is to keep in the back of your mind the possibility that
> both reports might also be modified to show their results in a
> top-down fashion.  Sometime.  (We have had such a feature
> requested.)  I don't suppose you could investigate whether
> your patch can be enhanced to do that also?
>
> And last is the fact that there are several bugs reported for
> the format the names are displayed in, so I hope to fix those
> bugs relatively soon, somehow.
>
> (By the way, I am not the author of those reports.  He is just
> not very active at the moment.)

Re: AncestorTree report enhancement

Guillaume VIRLET
Hi,

I just created the issue for this in the bug tracker
(https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=8049).
I have not modified descendant tree report as it does not work at all
the same way in terms of positionning.
INdeed the 2 reports which are sisters seems to be Descendant tree and
descendant family tree.

Let me know if anything is missing (or incorrect) in the issue or in the
patch.

Guillaume.