Ancestors changing the order of their names

Ancestors changing the order of their names

Martnal
I have several instances, usually on census forms, where, for example, "Alpha Beta Smith" becomes "Beta Alpha Smith".  I'd be interested in how others cope with this.  Alternative names?  I just want to be sure that if I generate a report, that he gets included in both guises.

Martin

Martin, SW London

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London, Hull and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and elsewhere).

Re: Ancestors changing the order of their names

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 08:01:26 -0800 (PST)
Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Martnal,

>I have several instances, usually on census forms, where, for example,
>"Alpha Beta Smith" becomes "Beta Alpha Smith".  I'd be interested in
>how others cope with this.  Alternative names?  I just want to be sure
>that if I generate a report, that he gets included in both guises.

I don't often bother to record such variations outside the Forms
Gramplet (stored as an attribute in the person's copy of the census
event, for instance) because they're generally of little consequence.
For the most part, it's due to whoever filled in the census form not
remembering who's who correctly, using a pet name, and/or the enumerator
mis-transcribing names into their returns books.

If, OTOH, somebody becomes known permanently by a different name order
(at the time of marriage, or emigration, for example) then I *do* record
the new name, most often as an AKA.  Women, of course, get a Married
Name alternate, if they took their husband's name (as an aside, I know
of one man that took his wife's name at marriage, but he's not in my
tree).

--
 Regards  _
Never give in until they crack

Re: Ancestors changing the order of their names

paul womack
Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 08:01:26 -0800 (PST)
> Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Martnal,
>
>> I have several instances, usually on census forms, where, for example,
>> "Alpha Beta Smith" becomes "Beta Alpha Smith".  I'd be interested in
>> how others cope with this.  Alternative names?  I just want to be sure
>> that if I generate a report, that he gets included in both guises.

I tend to view given names more as a Set than a List, certainly
pre 1930, in the UK.

  BugBear

Re: Ancestors changing the order of their names

Brad Rogers
On Mon, 06 Feb 2017 10:43:54 +0000
paul womack <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello paul,

>Brad Rogers wrote:

Err, no I didn't.  Be careful with attributions.  Better yet, reply to
the correct post.

--
 Regards  _
Early morning when I wake up, I look like Kiss but without the make up

Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Feb 2017 10:43:54 +0000
> paul womack <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello paul,
>
>> Brad Rogers wrote:
>
> Err, no I didn't.  Be careful with attributions.  Better yet, reply to
> the correct post.

Both your name and the OP's were present at the correct
level of quoting in my post?!

  BugBear

Re: Ancestors changing the order of their names

Brad Rogers
On Mon, 06 Feb 2017 15:40:59 +0000
paul womack <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello paul,

>Both your name and the OP's were present at the correct
>level of quoting in my post?!

You reply was to Martnal.  Why you need to do that by responding to
one of my posts, IDK.  Your attribution should have read  "Martnal
wrote".  There was no need to involve my post in any way.

--
 Regards  _
Age of destruction, age of oblivion

Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Feb 2017 15:40:59 +0000
> paul womack <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello paul,
>
>> Both your name and the OP's were present at the correct
>> level of quoting in my post?!
>
> You reply was to Martnal.  Why you need to do that by responding to
> one of my posts, IDK.  Your attribution should have read  "Martnal
> wrote".  There was no need to involve my post in any way.

Er. OK. I was just contributing to discussion.

I'm really very, very sorry I did it  at the wrong level
of thread nesting.

   BugBear

Re: Ancestors changing the order of their names

Brad Rogers
On Mon, 06 Feb 2017 16:48:20 +0000
paul womack <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello paul,

>Er. OK. I was just contributing to discussion.

I know.

Having been accused of wrong-doing as a result of poor attributions
(not here, I hasten to add) it perhaps makes rather sensitive to such
things.

>I'm really very, very sorry I did it  at the wrong level
>of thread nesting.

Thank you Paul.  Apology accepted.

Drawing a line under this and moving on.....

--
 Regards  _
We are the League, we are the anti band