Ancestry Tree with DNA Matches

Kyle Davenport
I've looked at previous requests for integrating DNA results with Gramps
and suggestions for using other software. None are relevant or would
work for what I need. Can I modify the graphical Ancestry Tree report to
include a count of my DNA matches with that ancestor as a Most Recent
Common Ancestor? I could of course manually add an attribute with this
count to each ancestor but this is a rapidly changing count as more
people get DNA tests, and I discover how my matches connect to me. I
have identified over 500 cousins (with known common ancestry) now in my
matches. I can easily script something to generate a daily list pairing
the count with corresponding Gramps ID, for example, but I am not sure
how to get this into the ancestrytree.py report. I'm a Perl guy but
willing to learn. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

--
Kyle Davenport
Unix Systems Consultant

Re: Ancestry Tree with DNA Matches

prculley
Gramps is open source software, so feel free to make any changes you want.  If your changes are made in the form of an addon, we can assist you to publish them for other users.  If they are generally useful and popular we might (eventually) integrate into Gramps itself, but that should be a distant second goal.

Assuming that you have some data source with the DNA matches, you could make a modified Ancestry Tree report that reads in your data as it runs, and integrates it.   A modified AncestryTree (with a slightly different name) can be made into an addon quite easily.

Or you could create a different type of addon (a tool) that reads in the data and stores/updates it in the database like you would manually do as an attribute via the GUI, so that the report will publish it.

Gramps uses Python 3.x as its programming language; it should not be too difficult to pick up for someone with programming experience; lots of references and tutorials around.  And Gramps source code is full of potential examples...

For more specific help, it would be useful to have examples or specifications about your source data, the algorithms used to prepare results, and the expected output data.

Note that all the installations of Gramps contain the Python source code, but some are easier to modify/debug.  I personally work on the Windows platform, which is one of the most difficult for this purpose as using a debugger requires setting up a whole development environment.  One of the Linux Platforms is probably the easiest.  For minor changes, you can just edit and try it, or maybe add print statements to help a bit.  Gramps wiki has a some articles about setting up a development IDE etc.

Paul C.