Android apps

Howard Close-4
I have been an entusiastic Gramps user for quite a few years now - when visiting repositories I have taken with me a small netbook running Ubuntu with a copy of my Gramps database. (I incidentally use Dropbox to keep my various computers synced). There are of course occasions when opportunities arise unexpectedly whilst away from home to collect genealogical data and I am without my database and cannot be sure of details.
I have recently acquired a Galaxy S2 smartphone (Android). It seems like an ideal tool to carry my database around at all times for such eventualities. However I am yet to find a suitable application. Does anyone have any suggestions / recommendations (open source of course!)

Howard Close

Re: Android apps

Ron Johnson
With all the typing that's involved with adding new data, is a tablet
the correct tool for that task?

--
"There is usually only a limited amount of damage that can be
done by dull or stupid people. For creating a truly monumental

Re: Android apps

DS Blank
On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 5:27 AM, Howard Close <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been an entusiastic Gramps user for quite a few years now - when
> visiting repositories I have taken with me a small netbook running Ubuntu
> with a copy of my Gramps database. (I incidentally use Dropbox to keep my
> various computers synced). There are of course occasions
> when opportunities arise unexpectedly whilst away from home to collect
> genealogical data and I am without my database and cannot be sure of
> details.
> I have recently acquired a Galaxy S2 smartphone (Android). It seems like an
> ideal tool to carry my database around at all times for such eventualities.
> However I am yet to find a suitable application. Does anyone have any
> suggestions / recommendations (open source of course!)

I have tried a couple of apps on my iPad, and they were ok. But for
those of us who have invested in the Gramps data model, it is very
hard to move back to a Gedcom-only solution (which they almost always
are).

Also, developing such an app is a huge amount of work, so I don't see
Gramps developers developing an app for a particular OS (like Android)
while ignoring a competitor (like iOS, etc.). But if a Gramps project
targeted the web, then you get all of those platforms as a
side-effect.

And I've just written a blog post on the topic of the status of the
on-line version of Gramps:

http://gramps-project.org/2012/05/towards-an-on-line-version-of-gramps/

version (based on Gramps 3.5). Plus, with a mobile phone CSS, it
should look and behave like an Android app, with a bonus of always
being in sync with the server data.

Now soliciting suggestions; let us know if that would for you.

-Doug

> Howard Close

Re: Android apps

Hi Howard,
> I have recently acquired a Galaxy S2 smartphone (Android). It seems
> like an ideal tool to carry my database around at all times for such
> eventualities. However I am yet to find a suitable application. Does
> anyone have any suggestions / recommendations (open source of course!)
If you can live with GEDCOM, I can recommend ezGED Viewer. It runs fine
on my Galaxy Y, and unlike some other apps that you can find on the
GEDCOM subject, it's completely free, i.e. no trial stuff or anything.

Since this app loads the whole database in memory, it may fail for big
ones. I have just a little less than 9000 persons in a 4.5 MB GEDCOM
file, and that loads fine.

The Ancestry apps works fine too, but that one requires that you upload
your GEDCOM there, and I have no idea whether you like that.

cheers,

Re: Android apps

Helge@Gramps
Hi Howard,

I use the the html-output of the narrated web report on android (a small GT5500). It's a good way to have the complete information available as read-only document.
If I get any idea for changes I write it down separate.  Later on I do all changes using Gramps on my PC. So I try to prevent data mismatches too.

Only the family map doesn't work. But this issue doesn't matter for me.
Regards
-Helge

Re: Android apps

Helge@Gramps
I forgot to tell: Best way view the html file is for my opinion to use the internet explorer by a line like this:
    content://com.android.htmlfileprovider/sdcard/..../index.html
That's because the html viewer on my 2.2 android opens html and images only (no other file, e. g. pdf). I use also some .pdf media. Here works the internet explorer better for me.

- Helge

Re: Android apps

Carey
This html approach works great for me. And I use Evernote to capture the new information so I can mix in photos and text and know what I have when I get back to the GRAMPS system to put it in. It also propigates the notes between my phone and my computer, so I don't even have to look at the phone to extract the data I collected, I just open Evernote on my PC and off I go.

One small help - once I get the index.html open on the phone, I make a shortcut that goes on the desktop of the phone, and all I have to do is tap the shortcut to open the GRAMPS output on my phone.

Re: Android apps

Carey
This html approach works great for me. And I use Evernote to capture the new
information so I can mix in photos and text and know what I have when I get
back to the GRAMPS system to put it in. It also propagates the notes between
my phone and my computer, so I don't even have to look at the phone to
extract the data I collected, I just open Evernote on my PC and off I go.

One small help on the phone - once I get the index.html open on the phone, I make a