Announcing gPrime

DS Blank
Gramps users and developers,

I'd like to take this opportunity to announce a new project called gPrime from the Genealogy Collective. gPrime is a fork of Gramps combined with Gramps Connect. The project is just taking shape, but these are its main points of interest:

1) Browser-based: the GUI of gPrime will be your webbrowser. It doesn't require a "server" (but can run on one). When you start gPrime, you interact with it via your webbrowser. There are no more Gtk issues, because it doesn't use Gtk. It's like the Narrative Web Report, but it is interactive---you'll be able to edit/add/delete data and run reports.

2) Python-based: it uses the same objects and Python libraries as Gramps. gPrime libraries are also designed to be useful outside of gPrime, and is of course open source:

3) Fast and Flexible: gPrime does away with the convoluted and hard to use Filters and replaces those with a new flexible search system. It works more like using a search engine than using Gramps' filters. And it talks directly to the database engine rather than sequentially scanning the database (as Gramps' current filter system works). gPrime is designed to be fast on large and very large trees.

4) Modern and Collaborative: gPrime allows multiusers and is planned to be integrated with tools to make collaboration easier (messages, research notes, email, etc) and to be easily connected to other genealogy websites, and take advantage of modern Javascript libraries. Also, gPrime is designed to facilitate merge and splits, and manage database changes.

Currently, you can browse all of your Gramps data. The goal is to have a complete working system by July 2017.

If you would like to know more, I encourage you to ask on the Genealogy Collective mailing list:

If you would like to make genealogy more interesting, friendly, powerful, open, easy, and inviting for a diverse group of users, please consider joining our Board of Advisors and mailing list:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfhxC0mnVtweau0snweFW5-2Td8I9Wj-sCXpokeVT7EBLAypw/viewform

-Doug

Re: Announcing gPrime

Simon Lenz
Hello Doug,

it seems, that I don't follow the gramps development actively enough, because I'm somewhat confused.

Could you elaborate the relations between gramps, gramps-connect and gPrime a little bit more?

Till now my understanding was, that gramps connect would be nearly exactly the thing you described above (webinterface, collaborative, ..)

So will I have three GUIs for my gramps database in the future? (gramps-gtk, gramps connect and gPrime)

Could you lose some words on what the Genealogy Collective is, or alternatively give me a link?

Thanks in advance!

regards,

Simon

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 1:19 PM, Simon Lenz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Doug,

it seems, that I don't follow the gramps development actively enough, because I'm somewhat confused.

Could you elaborate the relations between gramps, gramps-connect and gPrime a little bit more?

Till now my understanding was, that gramps connect would be nearly exactly the thing you described above (webinterface, collaborative, ..)

Simon,

Sure, I'd be glad to fill in the missing pieces. There were some differences in ideas of development and vision of Gramps, and so I've had to fork these projects. I won't be developing for either Gramps or Gramps-Connect... all of that focus will go into gPrime.

So will I have three GUIs for my gramps database in the future? (gramps-gtk, gramps connect and gPrime)

I doubt Gramps-Connect will continue, so you can immediately scratch that one as dead. gPrime is designed to replace Gramps completely, and also make it collaborative, and faster. But you could still use them both, if you wished. Currently, you can share databases between them, but I suspect that the two systems will diverge. There will always be ways to import/export between them I suspect.

Could you lose some words on what the Genealogy Collective is, or alternatively give me a link?

This is a new group that could work on other open projects. For example, we might work with other groups to support single name studies, or writing tools for interacting with genealogy websites.

Hope that helps!

-Doug

[...]

Mark D. Johnson

Hi Doug -

I've applied to join the Genealogy Collective mailing list, but so far it doesn't show up on my Google Groups account page.  In the meantime, I hope it is OK to ask a few questions here.  My main question is whether gPrime will be for Linux only, or will it be available on Windows as well?

Thank you -

Mark Johnson

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 5:08 PM, Mark D. Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Doug -

I've applied to join the Genealogy Collective mailing list, but so far it doesn't show up on my Google Groups account page.

You've been approved.

In the meantime, I hope it is OK to ask a few questions here.  My main question is whether gPrime will be for Linux only, or will it be available on Windows as well?

gPrime is designed for all platforms. It is meant to be used as a general Python library (so you won't have to download a complete Python environment each time there is an update). You'll be able to update it using standard Python packaging tools. There'll be more info on installation as we get closer to a release for regular users. For now, if you have a Python environment on any platform, then you'll be able to run it easily.

-Doug

[...]

Josip
24.11.2016. u 23:26, Doug Blank je napisao/la:

>> In the meantime, I hope it is OK to ask a few questions here.  My main
>> question is whether gPrime will be for Linux only, or will it be available
>> on Windows as well?
>>
> gPrime is designed for all platforms. It is meant to be used as a general
> Python library (so you won't have to download a complete Python environment
> each time there is an update). You'll be able to update it using standard
> Python packaging tools. There'll be more info on installation as we get
> closer to a release for regular users. For now, if you have a Python
> environment on any platform, then you'll be able to run it easily.

https://docs.python.org/3.5/library/crypt.html
"""
The Python Standard Library » 35. Unix Specific Services
crypt — Function to check Unix passwords
"""

http://www.tornadoweb.org/en/stable
"""
Tornado will also run on Windows, although this configuration is not
officially supported and is recommended only for development use
"""

As crypto is unix module i have to use pure python module replacement
for that (to lazy to compile crypt3 and recompile python with that)
Creation of new database always fail. Looks like gprime creates database
in folder from which is run but expect it to be somewhere else.

[I 161125 01:00:15 dbapi:1995] Table Media is being committed, rebuilt,
and indexed...
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "C:\msys64\mingw64\lib\python3.5\runpy.py", line 184, in
_run_module_as_main
     "__main__", mod_spec)
   File "C:\msys64\mingw64\lib\python3.5\runpy.py", line 85, in _run_code
     exec(code, run_globals)
   File "C:\msys64\home\jole\VCS\gprime\gprime\app\__main__.py", line 3,
in <module>
     main()
   File "C:\msys64\home\jole\VCS\gprime\gprime\app\app.py", line 250, in
main
     database = DbState().open_database(options.database)
   File "C:\msys64\home\jole\VCS\gprime\gprime\dbstate.py", line 226, in
open_database
     data = self.lookup_family_tree(dbname)
   File "C:\msys64\home\jole\VCS\gprime\gprime\dbstate.py", line 254, in
lookup_family_tree
     path_name = os.path.join(dirpath, "name.txt")
   File "C:\msys64\mingw64\lib\python3.5\ntpath.py", line 132, in join
     genericpath._check_arg_types('join', path, *paths)
   File "C:\msys64\mingw64\lib\python3.5\genericpath.py", line 143, in
_check_arg_types
     (funcname, s.__class__.__name__)) from None
TypeError: join() argument must be str or bytes, not 'NoneType'

Tried manually to shift them around but gprime can't see them and always
open "Untitled Family Tree".
Where database should be?

It shows
Control+C to stop server. Running...
but server refuse to die so i must kill python from task manager.

--
Josip