Another Dummy Question

Jim Winfrey
I finally got my computer put back together and installed Ubuntu
5.0.4.  Can somebody give me the baby steps version of how to download
and install Gramps?  I tried all the apt- stuff I know about and got
no results.

Thanks,

Jim

Re: Another Dummy Question

Don Allingham
Jim,

Download the debian package from
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/gnome/gramps

The use:

dpkg --install gramps_2.0.5-1_all.deb

Ubuntu should have all the dependencies already installed.

2.0.6 should be appearing in the debian repositories over the next few
days.

Don

On 08/23/2005 05:18:48 PM, Jim Winfrey wrote:

> I finally got my computer put back together and installed Ubuntu
> 5.0.4.  Can somebody give me the baby steps version of how to
> download
> and install Gramps?  I tried all the apt- stuff I know about and got
> no results.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

> Practices
> Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing
> & QA
> http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf

Re: Another Dummy Question

Jay Treacy
On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 12:42:25AM +0000, Don Allingham wrote:
> 2.0.6 should be appearing in the debian repositories over the next few
> days.

It is there already.

--
James Treacy

RE: Another Dummy Question

Joshua Moore-4
GRAMPS is supported in Ubuntu but you have to add the "universe" repository.
  I'm not at home so I can't copy my sources.list in this email, but you can
find info about the repositories here:

http://ubuntuguide.org/#extrarepositories

Then just go to the Applications menu and then the bottom choice (I think
it's "System Tools" or something like that) and click Add/Remove Programs.
Then choose GRAMPS from the "Other" section.  (You may have to click "more
programs" to see it.)  Of course, once you add the repository you can also
just do:

aptitude update
aptitude install gramps

or apt-get or whatever you usually use.  FYI if you feel a little edgy,
Breezy has a much more recent version of GRAMPS and will probably soon have
the newest version with the new website generator.  If you wanted to upgrade
to that you just find/replace all "hoary" with "breezy" in the file
/etc/apt/sources.list.  Then aptitude dist-upgrade.

>From: Jim Winfrey <[hidden email]>
>To: "[hidden email]"
><[hidden email]>
>Subject: [Gramps-users] Another Dummy Question
>Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:18:48 -0400
>
>I finally got my computer put back together and installed Ubuntu
>5.0.4.  Can somebody give me the baby steps version of how to download
>and install Gramps?  I tried all the apt- stuff I know about and got
>no results.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jim

RE: Another Dummy Question

Shane Killian
"Joshua Moore" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> GRAMPS is supported in Ubuntu but you have to add the "universe"
> repository. I'm not at home so I can't copy my sources.list in this
> email, but you can find info about the repositories here:

By the way, I'm using GRAMPS on Ubuntu Linux, and it workss just fine
with no problems. I use the one from the "Universe" repository.

--
Shane Killian
[hidden email]

Re: Another Dummy Question

Damon Riley

Don Allingham wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Download the debian package from
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/gnome/gramps
>
> The use:
>
> dpkg --install gramps_2.0.5-1_all.deb
>
> Ubuntu should have all the dependencies already installed.

I'm taking the same step, I hope, with Libranet 3.0.  I've downloaded
2.0.6.  Anyone know of a good reason not to run dpkg --install ?  I've
got all my data backed up, so if I completely bork the system I can
reinstall the OS.  Thanks!

-- Damon