Another thought Graphical views

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi All

Been thinking about DNA matches

So on graphview if I set myself as the home person and pick an ancestor
the path between the two becomes highlighted.
It would be really helpful if this path could then be extended to any
person who has a DNA match with the home person via the selected ancestor

Might put it on my 2025 christmas wish list unless somebody knows of a
way of doing this already

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

Re: Another thought Graphical views

George Wilmes
Here's one way to create such a graph:

Next, create another person filter with the rule "Relationship path between <person>" (you) and people matching <filter>" (the other person filter that you just created).

Finally, run the Relationship Graph report, using the second person filter as the Filter and selecting the common ancestor as the Center Person.

I don't have my DNA matches flagged yet, so to test this idea I simply bookmarked myself and a few of my matches and then ran the report using a person filter with the rule "Relationship path between bookmarked persons".

I'm interested to learn how others have managed any of their DNA-related data in Gramps. I have not yet searched through the mailing list archive but will begin there.

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 12:41 PM phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All

Been thinking about DNA matches

So on graphview if I set myself as the home person and pick an ancestor
the path between the two becomes highlighted.
It would be really helpful if this path could then be extended to any
person who has a DNA match with the home person via the selected ancestor

Might put it on my 2025 christmas wish list unless somebody knows of a
way of doing this already

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

Re: Another thought Graphical views

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi George

You gotta just love this list, I have got suitable tags and attributes
will take some time with this when I have peace and quiet after the New
Year, the presence of multiple grandchildren not conducive to logical
thought processes.

Thanks

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 30/12/2019 22:21, George Wilmes wrote:

> Here's one way to create such a graph:
>
> First, create a person filter that identifies the subset of your DNA
> matches who share the common ancestor. Such a filter might include two
> rules, one for "Descendants of <person>" (the common ancestor), and one for
> your DNA matches, perhaps using "People with the <tag>" or "People with the
> personal <attribute>", depending on how you have flagged them.
>
> Next, create another person filter with the rule "Relationship path between
> <person>" (you) and people matching <filter>" (the other person filter that
> you just created).
>
> Finally, run the Relationship Graph report, using the second person filter
> as the Filter and selecting the common ancestor as the Center Person.
>
> I don't have my DNA matches flagged yet, so to test this idea I simply
> bookmarked myself and a few of my matches and then ran the report using a
> person filter with the rule "Relationship path between bookmarked persons".
>
> I'm interested to learn how others have managed any of their DNA-related
> data in Gramps. I have not yet searched through the mailing list archive
> but will begin there.
>
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 12:41 PM phil wharram via Gramps-users <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Hi All
>>
>> Been thinking about DNA matches
>>
>> So on graphview if I set myself as the home person and pick an ancestor
>> the path between the two becomes highlighted.
>> It would be really helpful if this path could then be extended to any
>> person who has a DNA match with the home person via the selected ancestor
>>
>> Might put it on my 2025 christmas wish list unless somebody knows of a
>> way of doing this already
>>
>> Regards
>> Phil
>> MLFHS 12583
>> Dumfries

Re: Another thought Graphical views

Hi All

Following Georges outline I found it worked very well inded except for
one part

When I run the report the name for the common ancestor is not displayed
although the person ID is, it would appear that the "Relationship path
between" looks for family nodes finds the one with the common ancestor
and his partner and then loops back down to linked descendants. But does
not include the common ancestor, although I have it as the centre person.

Problem is this does not explain why the person Id is displayed as is
the partners Id

Any thoughts welcome

Phil

> First, create a person filter that identifies the subset of your DNA
> matches who share the common ancestor. Such a filter might include two
> rules, one for "Descendants of <person>" (the common ancestor), and one for
> your DNA matches, perhaps using "People with the <tag>" or "People with the
> personal <attribute>", depending on how you have flagged them.
>
> Next, create another person filter with the rule "Relationship path between
> <person>" (you) and people matching <filter>" (the other person filter that
> you just created).
>
> Finally, run the Relationship Graph report, using the second person filter
> as the Filter and selecting the common ancestor as the Center Person.

Re: Another thought Graphical views

George Wilmes
Hi Phil,

So I guess there must be some difference in the way the two relationship path rules behave? Hopefully someone with more understanding can comment, and meanwhile I will continue trying things.

Regardless of whether we can get this report to work for this purpose, I'd be interested in learning your particular scheme for flagging DNA matches, if you're willing to share the details, as I haven't settled on one of my own yet. Thanks.

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 3:49 PM phil wharram <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All

Following Georges outline I found it worked very well inded except for
one part

When I run the report the name for the common ancestor is not displayed
although the person ID is, it would appear that the "Relationship path
between" looks for family nodes finds the one with the common ancestor
and his partner and then loops back down to linked descendants. But does
not include the common ancestor, although I have it as the centre person.

Problem is this does not explain why the person Id is displayed as is
the partners Id

Any thoughts welcome

Phil

> First, create a person filter that identifies the subset of your DNA
> matches who share the common ancestor. Such a filter might include two
> rules, one for "Descendants of <person>" (the common ancestor), and one for
> your DNA matches, perhaps using "People with the <tag>" or "People with the
> personal <attribute>", depending on how you have flagged them.
>
> Next, create another person filter with the rule "Relationship path between
> <person>" (you) and people matching <filter>" (the other person filter that
> you just created).
>
> Finally, run the Relationship Graph report, using the second person filter
> as the Filter and selecting the common ancestor as the Center Person.

Re: Another thought Graphical views

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi George

Glad to hear you can reproduce the problem, if anybody can point me to
where the filter rules are in the programs will try to look but cannot
promise anything

As to where I am going on DNA I am still at the early stages but

Firstly Tags
I manage 2 DNA tests me and my wife so 2 Tags
1)DNA match to PW
2)DNA match to CD
So each DNA match gets tagged with one of the above

Then I created the following attributes basically to store all relevant info
        Title Value
1) DNA Match to Philip Wharram (1954)
2) DNA cM 558
3) DNA Segments 27
4) DNA Relationship 1st cousin 1x removed
5) DNA Common Ancestor (Male) George Henry Wharram(1873)
6) DNA Common Ancestor (Female) Alice Maud Hodson(1874)
7) DNA Pseudonym G???? Wharram(GW)

Item 7 is a bit tenuous I use this for retracing people I have found on
the net who often do not use real names

I had thought of storing the GRAMPS person ID for common ancestors but I
was worried if I renumbered the IDs I would have to modify the attribute
value by hand

Also if I have found a DNA match has a tree online I store the URL for
it (in Internet Tab of Person)although given the vagaries and fluidity
of URLs I am not depending on these long term for anything

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 02/01/2020 23:56, George Wilmes wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> I did not see that behavior when I used the rule "Relationship path between
> bookmarked persons", but now I have tried another test in which I set an
> attribute for each of those people and used the "Relationship path between
> with the personal <attribute>"). In my case, it displays neither the name
> nor the id of the common ancestor (or spouse), only the family node.
>
> So I guess there must be some difference in the way the two relationship
> path rules behave? Hopefully someone with more understanding can comment,
> and meanwhile I will continue trying things.
>
> Regardless of whether we can get this report to work for this purpose, I'd
> be interested in learning your particular scheme for flagging DNA matches,
> if you're willing to share the details, as I haven't settled on one of my
> own yet. Thanks.
>

> On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 3:49 PM phil wharram <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> Hi All
>>
>> Following Georges outline I found it worked very well inded except for
>> one part
>>
>> When I run the report the name for the common ancestor is not displayed
>> although the person ID is, it would appear that the "Relationship path
>> between" looks for family nodes finds the one with the common ancestor
>> and his partner and then loops back down to linked descendants. But does
>> not include the common ancestor, although I have it as the centre person.
>>
>> Problem is this does not explain why the person Id is displayed as is
>> the partners Id
>>
>> Any thoughts welcome
>>
>> Phil
>>

>>> First, create a person filter that identifies the subset of your DNA
>>> matches who share the common ancestor. Such a filter might include two
>>> rules, one for "Descendants of <person>" (the common ancestor), and one
>> for
>>> your DNA matches, perhaps using "People with the <tag>" or "People with
>> the
>>> personal <attribute>", depending on how you have flagged them.
>>>
>>> Next, create another person filter with the rule "Relationship path
>> between
>>> <person>" (you) and people matching <filter>" (the other person filter
>> that
>>> you just created).
>>>
>>> Finally, run the Relationship Graph report, using the second person
>> filter
>>> as the Filter and selecting the common ancestor as the Center Person.

Re: Another thought Graphical views

prculley
The filter rules for persons are at "C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64-5.1.1\gramps\gen\filters\rules\person" for Windows users.  Where it ends up differs a bit for various Linux and OSX systems.
_relationshippathbetween.py
_relationshippathbetweenbookmarks.py
seem to be the ones of interest.

Good luck

Paul C.

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 5:02 AM phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>>> First, create a person filter that identifies the subset of your DNA
>>> matches who share the common ancestor. Such a filter might include two
>>> rules, one for "Descendants of <person>" (the common ancestor), and one
>> for
>>> your DNA matches, perhaps using "People with the <tag>" or "People with
>> the
>>> personal <attribute>", depending on how you have flagged them.
>>>
>>> Next, create another person filter with the rule "Relationship path
>> between
>>> <person>" (you) and people matching <filter>" (the other person filter
>> that
>>> you just created).
>>>
>>> Finally, run the Relationship Graph report, using the second person
>> filter
>>> as the Filter and selecting the common ancestor as the Center Person.

Hi Paul

Thanks, something to do on a quiet night

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 03/01/2020 15:54, Paul Culley wrote:

> [...]
>> between
>>> bookmarked persons", but now I have tried another test in which I set an
>>> attribute for each of those people and used the "Relationship path
>> between
>>> with the personal <attribute>"). In my case, it displays neither the name
>>> nor the id of the common ancestor (or spouse), only the family node.
>>>
>>> So I guess there must be some difference in the way the two relationship
>>> path rules behave? Hopefully someone with more understanding can comment,
>>> and meanwhile I will continue trying things.
>>>
>>> Regardless of whether we can get this report to work for this purpose,
>> I'd
>>> be interested in learning your particular scheme for flagging DNA
>> matches,
>>> if you're willing to share the details, as I haven't settled on one of my

Thanks Paul.

Phil, as I think about this, I realize that in the case where there are multiple shared ancestors between me and one or more of my DNA matches (often the case with distant cousins, due to some marriages among cousins a few generations ago), there will be multiple relationship paths as well. I don't know how the relationship filters decide which path to use in that case, but obviously they would not know the correct one(s) from a DNA perspective (the answer could be one or more of the paths, if I inherited different segments from different ancestors).

In fact, one of my goals in managing my DNA data is to track which segments of which chromosomes I inherited from which ancestors (based on segment-level triangulation with my matches), but I haven't yet figured out how best to store that information in Gramps.

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 9:59 AM phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> between
>>> bookmarked persons", but now I have tried another test in which I set an
>>> attribute for each of those people and used the "Relationship path
>> between
>>> with the personal <attribute>"). In my case, it displays neither the name
>>> nor the id of the common ancestor (or spouse), only the family node.
>>>
>>> So I guess there must be some difference in the way the two relationship
>>> path rules behave? Hopefully someone with more understanding can comment,
>>> and meanwhile I will continue trying things.
>>>
>>> Regardless of whether we can get this report to work for this purpose,
>> I'd
>>> be interested in learning your particular scheme for flagging DNA
>> matches,
>>> if you're willing to share the details, as I haven't settled on one of my

Re: Another thought Graphical views, Now Relationship Graph

Hi Paul/George

Apologies for delay in responding but life seems to have intruded.

Anyway as normal before looking at software with my little knowledge, I
have spent sometime playing with the filters and relationship graph and
have concluded both are working correctly just not producing what we
would want (or possibly or expect).

So if we have DNA matches 1,2,3,4

If then look at a common ancestor (CA1) 8  generations from 1 then the
path is properly created from 1 via CA1 to 2,3,4 the family node for CA1
and spouse is the top of the tree (spouses Id shown) but CA1 is not shown.

If I then have common ancestor (CA2) 7 generations from 1, 4 now ahould
not be shown, however 1,2,3 are linked at generation 5 (CA3) what is now
produced is the node for CA3 with spouse id and nothing for generation 6
and 7 all of this follows the logic.

It would point to Relationship Graph being the issue in that it does not
print the information for the parent above the node.

I had a quick look at the file for the Relationship Graph gvrelgraph.py
and concluded it was well above my pay grade to tamper with

Not sure if would warrant a feature request

Now the stupid question I have lot of useless custom filters and cannot
see anyway of cleaning them out without exporting to XML and bringing
back in assuming that filters would not be exported

> [...]

>> between
>>> with the personal <attribute>"). In my case, it displays neither the name
>>> nor the id of the common ancestor (or spouse), only the family node.
>>>
>>> So I guess there must be some difference in the way the two relationship
>>> path rules behave? Hopefully someone with more understanding can comment,
>>> and meanwhile I will continue trying things.
>>>
>>> Regardless of whether we can get this report to work for this purpose,
>> I'd
>>> be interested in learning your particular scheme for flagging DNA
>> matches,
>>> if you're willing to share the details, as I haven't settled on one of my
>>> own yet. Thanks.

>> person.

Re: Another thought Graphical views, Now Relationship Graph

Thanks for digging into it and sharing your results.

To delete your unwanted filters, simply go into Edit -> Person Filter Editor. But you might want to save a copy of your custom_filters.xml file first, in case you ever want them again in the future (for example, to test a new version of the report).

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 10:46 AM phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> between
>>> with the personal <attribute>"). In my case, it displays neither the name
>>> nor the id of the common ancestor (or spouse), only the family node.
>>>
>>> So I guess there must be some difference in the way the two relationship
>>> path rules behave? Hopefully someone with more understanding can comment,
>>> and meanwhile I will continue trying things.
>>>
>>> Regardless of whether we can get this report to work for this purpose,
>> I'd
>>> be interested in learning your particular scheme for flagging DNA
>> matches,
>>> if you're willing to share the details, as I haven't settled on one of my
>>> own yet. Thanks.

>> person.

Re: Another thought Graphical views, Now Relationship Graph

Just will keep the two I want for this purpose the graph is useful even
with issues, need now to find best plan for the various CA1s I have

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 19/01/2020 19:27, George Wilmes wrote:

> [...]
>>> users.  Where it ends up differs a bit for various Linux and OSX systems.
>>> _relationshippathbetween.py
>>> _relationshippathbetweenbookmarks.py
>>> seem to be the ones of interest.
>>>
>>> Good luck
>>>
>>> Paul C.

>> an
>> "People
>> name

>> relationship
>> comment,

>> my

>> [hidden email]

>> displayed
>> does

>> two
>> one
>> with

>> filter

Re: Another thought Graphical views, Now Relationship Graph

Peter Hewett-2
Perhaps, rather than configure the relationship graph to try and predict what persons should be included, it is better to adjust the filter to select the persons to be included.
Often, I find that a filter doesn't produce exactly the results I want, and the filter needs to be adjusted a bit, such as by adding individual persons.

HTH

Peter

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020, at 5:46 AM, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:

> [...]
> >> the net who often do not use real names
> >>
> >> I had thought of storing the GRAMPS person ID for common ancestors but I
> >> was worried if I renumbered the IDs I would have to modify the attribute
> >> value by hand
> >>
> >> Also if I have found a DNA match has a tree online I store the URL for
> >> it (in Internet Tab of Person)although given the vagaries and fluidity
> >> of URLs I am not depending on these long term for anything
> >>

> >> Regards
> >> Phil
> >> MLFHS 12583
> >> Dumfries

> >> between
> >> between

> >> I'd
> >> matches,

> >> person.

Re: Another thought Graphical views, Now Relationship Graph

Hi Peter

The information is actually passed from the filter to the Relationship
Graph because the graph displays the Gramps ID for the individual just
does not displaying the actual name.

I am continuing to play with both

Thanks for the thought

Regards