Anyone else get a "Reconfirm Mailing List Subscriptions" email from Sourceforge?

Anyone else get a "Reconfirm Mailing List Subscriptions" email from Sourceforge?

Ron Johnson
"Thanks for being a SourceForge user. Our records indicate that you are
subscribed to the following project mailing list:

     gramps-users

We are contacting you to confirm you are still interested in receiving emails from this SourceForge project list.  If you do not confirm your subscription by June 29th, you will be unsubscribed from the above mailing list.

Please click here to confirm your subscription:"

It was a legitimate link.

Re: Anyone else get a "Reconfirm Mailing List Subscriptions" email from Sourceforge?

Adam Stein-3
I got it as well.

--
Adam ([hidden email])

Re: Anyone else get a "Reconfirm Mailing List Subscriptions" email from Sourceforge?

salamandir-2

On Friday, June 09, 2017 04:04:17 PM, Adam Stein, an eminent manifestation of divinity, wrote:

> I got it as well.

> On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 10:46 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > "Thanks for being a SourceForge user. Our records indicate that you

> > are

> > subscribed to the following project mailing list:

> >      gramps-users

> > We are contacting you to confirm you are still interested in

> > receiving emails from this SourceForge project list.  If you do not

> > confirm your subscription by June 29th, you will be unsubscribed from

> > the above mailing list.

> > Please click here to confirm your subscription:"

> > It was a legitimate link.

as did i... if nobody else had mentioned it, i would have thought that it was normal operating procedure, but now that someone has mentioned it... what? 8/

--

namaste

salamandir

[hidden email]

A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion

Q: Why is top posting bad?

/\ - against proprietary attachments

--

Time is a great teacher, but it kills all its pupils.

Re: Anyone else get a "Reconfirm Mailing List Subscriptions" email from Sourceforge?

Peter (chamdo4ever)
So did I, and I clicked.

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 4:04 PM, Adam Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I got it as well.
>
> On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 10:46 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> "Thanks for being a SourceForge user. Our records indicate that you are
> subscribed to the following project mailing list:
>
>      gramps-users
>
> We are contacting you to confirm you are still interested in receiving
> emails from this SourceForge project list.  If you do not confirm your
> subscription by June 29th, you will be unsubscribed from the above mailing
> list.
>
> Please click here to confirm your subscription:"
>
> It was a legitimate link.
>
> --
> Adam ([hidden email])

Re: Anyone else get a "Reconfirm Mailing List Subscriptions" email from Sourceforge?

Dave Scheipers
ditto

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 5:29 PM, Peter (chamdo4ever) <[hidden email]> wrote:
So did I, and I clicked.

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 4:04 PM, Adam Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I got it as well.
>
> On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 10:46 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> "Thanks for being a SourceForge user. Our records indicate that you are
> subscribed to the following project mailing list:
>
>      gramps-users
>
> We are contacting you to confirm you are still interested in receiving
> emails from this SourceForge project list.  If you do not confirm your
> subscription by June 29th, you will be unsubscribed from the above mailing
> list.
>
> Please click here to confirm your subscription:"
>
> It was a legitimate link.
>
> --
> Adam ([hidden email])

Re: Anyone else get a "Reconfirm Mailing List Subscriptions" email from Sourceforge?

Nick Wallingford (Gramps)
Sourceforge provides/manages the email distribution lists that the
Gramps Project uses, taking away that part of the work from the
support/development aspects of Gramps.

We (Gramps) did not inititate this probe asking you to confirm your
memberships, but I can understand some of why they may have chosen to do
that.

IMHO I don't think it is nefarious, and had no qualms about confirming
for my own subscriptions.

Nick Wallingford

Re: Anyone else get a "Reconfirm Mailing List Subscriptions" email from Sourceforge?

J. Allen Crider-2
It does seem to be normal for Sourceforge.  This isn't the only list I'm
on that Sourceforge manages, and the e-mail I received listed all of them.

Allen Crider

On 06/09/2017 04:49 PM, Nick Wallingford (Gramps) wrote:

> Sourceforge provides/manages the email distribution lists that the
> Gramps Project uses, taking away that part of the work from the
> support/development aspects of Gramps.
>
> We (Gramps) did not inititate this probe asking you to confirm your
> memberships, but I can understand some of why they may have chosen to do
> that.
>
> IMHO I don't think it is nefarious, and had no qualms about confirming
> for my own subscriptions.
>
> Nick Wallingford

Re: Anyone else get a "Reconfirm Mailing List Subscriptions" email from Sourceforge?

I am also getting similar messages about other mailing list I am a member of.
It a routine maintenance operation.

On June 9, 2017 5:50:04 PM "Nick Wallingford (Gramps)"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sourceforge provides/manages the email distribution lists that the
> Gramps Project uses, taking away that part of the work from the
> support/development aspects of Gramps.
>
> We (Gramps) did not inititate this probe asking you to confirm your
> memberships, but I can understand some of why they may have chosen to do
> that.
>
> IMHO I don't think it is nefarious, and had no qualms about confirming
> for my own subscriptions.
>
> Nick Wallingford

Re: Anyone else get a "Reconfirm Mailing List Subscriptions" email from Sourceforge?

Bret Busby-2
On 10/06/2017, John via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am also getting similar messages about other mailing list I am a member
> of.
> It a routine maintenance operation.

In the several years that I have been subscribed to this and the other
mailing lists that have been mentioned  in these suspect email
messages, I have not previously received such email messages relating
to these mailing lists.

And, in checking the full headers of the suspect messages,  the
information found, does not allay my suspicion that the messages are
not genuine.

There is nothing routine about these suspect messages; if the have not
occurred before, then they are not routine.

"routine" = "regular course or procedure"
- "Concise Oxford Dictionary" - 8th Ed

If this has not happened before, then it is not a regular occurrence.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Anyone else get a "Reconfirm Mailing List Subscriptions" email from Sourceforge?

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I subscribe to m as NY mailing lists, for things like Postfix, Debian ...
In nearly every case I get a monthly or quarterly email reminding me of my
membership, how to unsubscribe, sometimes my PW... The surprising thing to
me is that sourceforge hasn't been doing this all along.
JohnA

On 06/10/2017 04:03 PM, Bret Busby wrote:

> On 10/06/2017, John via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am also getting similar messages about other mailing list I am a member
>> of.
>> It a routine maintenance operation.
>>

> In the several years that I have been subscribed to this and the other
> mailing lists that have been mentioned  in these suspect email
> messages, I have not previously received such email messages relating
> to these mailing lists.
>
> And, in checking the full headers of the suspect messages,  the
> information found, does not allay my suspicion that the messages are
> not genuine.

It was perfectly legitimate.  (The link went to sourceforge.net and asked me
to confirm the only mailing list I use that's hosted on SF.)

On 11/06/17 09:03, Bret Busby wrote:

> And, in checking the full headers of the suspect messages,  the
> information found, does not allay my suspicion that the messages are
> not genuine.

If you have doubts that the email is genuine, I would suggest you ignore
the instructions contained in it about confirming your list(s)
membership(s).  It may long term lead to a reduction in the emails you
receive from the Gramps list(s), however.

Nick Wallingford

On 11/06/2017, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I subscribe to m as NY mailing lists, for things like Postfix, Debian ...
> In nearly every case I get a monthly or quarterly email reminding me of my
> membership, how to unsubscribe, sometimes my PW... The surprising thing to
> me is that sourceforge hasn't been doing this all along.
> JohnA

Regularly receiving, at the start of each month, an information only
message stating
 "You are shown as being subscribed to these mailing lists... You do
not need to do anything for the subscriptions to continue..."

or words to those effects, is significantly different to unexpectedly
receiving, after many years of being subscribed to mailing lists, an
unusual message stating
"You need to click on this link..."

Of course it appears sinister.

On 11/06/2017, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/10/2017 04:03 PM, Bret Busby wrote:
>> On 10/06/2017, John via Gramps-users <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> I am also getting similar messages about other mailing list I am a
>>> member
>>> of.
>>> It a routine maintenance operation.
>>>

>> In the several years that I have been subscribed to this and the other
>> mailing lists that have been mentioned  in these suspect email
>> messages, I have not previously received such email messages relating
>> to these mailing lists.
>>
>> And, in checking the full headers of the suspect messages,  the
>> information found, does not allay my suspicion that the messages are
>> not genuine.
>
> It was perfectly legitimate.  (The link went to sourceforge.net and asked me
>
> to confirm the only mailing list I use that's hosted on SF.)
>
> --
> World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

And that  explains the content of the headers, how?

Although, from a person who apparently contends that the way to
achieve world peace, is by nuking the world (is that a President Dump
solution?)...

On 06/11/2017 12:48 AM, Bret Busby wrote:

> On 11/06/2017, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I subscribe to m as NY mailing lists, for things like Postfix, Debian ...
>> In nearly every case I get a monthly or quarterly email reminding me of my
>> membership, how to unsubscribe, sometimes my PW... The surprising thing to
>> me is that sourceforge hasn't been doing this all along.
>> JohnA
>>
> Regularly receiving, at the start of each month, an information only
> message stating
>   "You are shown as being subscribed to these mailing lists... You do
> not need to do anything for the subscriptions to continue..."

I've received those for *other* mailing lists, but never for gramps-users.

Re: Anyone else get a "Reconfirm Mailing List Subscriptions" email from Sourceforge?

Bret Busby-2
On 11/06/2017, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/11/2017 12:48 AM, Bret Busby wrote:
>> On 11/06/2017, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I subscribe to m as NY mailing lists, for things like Postfix, Debian
>>> In nearly every case I get a monthly or quarterly email reminding me of
>>> my
>>> membership, how to unsubscribe, sometimes my PW... The surprising thing
>>> me is that sourceforge hasn't been doing this all along.
>>> JohnA
>>>
>> Regularly receiving, at the start of each month, an information only
>> message stating
>>   "You are shown as being subscribed to these mailing lists... You do
>> not need to do anything for the subscriptions to continue..."
>
> I've received those for *other* mailing lists, but never for gramps-users.
>

> --
> World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

That (kind of) is the point.

I have received those messages for other lists, and, that has not been
a problem, or cause for suspicion.

Why the lists involved in this GRAMPS scenario, did not also do that,
has not been explained.

And, neither has been explained why suddenly, these new, suspect
messages have been sent, saying "You need to click on this link....".

The nature of which messages, makes them suspect.

And, from the full header, is

"
"

which shows the originator of the message, not being sourceforge, or
slashdot, but "amazonses.com", which is unknown to me, and, it shows
elsewhere in the full header, indicating likely email spoofing, as a
"phishing" attempt.

In the context of those messages that are requiring the clicking on
the link (which can be used to disguise a malicious URL), and, NOT
being routine orb regular procedure for the applicable mailing
lists,the messages are dangerous.

On 06/11/2017 06:37 AM, Bret Busby wrote:

> On 11/06/2017, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>> Regularly receiving, at the start of each month, an information only
>>> message stating
>>>    "You are shown as being subscribed to these mailing lists... You do
>>> not need to do anything for the subscriptions to continue..."
>> I've received those for *other* mailing lists, but never for gramps-users.
>
> That (kind of) is the point.
>
> I have received those messages for other lists, and, that has not been
> a problem, or cause for suspicion.

Obviously, SF wants to clean up the cruft that's been built up over the decades.

> Why the lists involved in this GRAMPS scenario, did not also do that,
> has not been explained.

Those MLs were not (in my case) hosted by SF.

> And, neither has been explained why suddenly, these new, suspect
> messages have been sent, saying "You need to click on this link....".

Because "web".

> The nature of which messages, makes them suspect.
>
> And, from the full header, is
>
> "
> "
>
> which shows the originator of the message, not being sourceforge, or
> slashdot, but "amazonses.com", which is unknown to me, and, it shows
> elsewhere in the full header, indicating likely email spoofing, as a
> "phishing" attempt.

The Cloud.

> In the context of those messages that are requiring the clicking on
> the link (which can be used to disguise a malicious URL), and, NOT
> being routine orb regular procedure for the applicable mailing
> lists,the messages are dangerous.

In Thundebird, at lease, hovering over the link shows that it resolves to
sourceforge.net, which is a perfectly legitimate web site.

Re: Anyone else get a "Reconfirm Mailing List Subscriptions" email from Sourceforge?

Michael Stockhausen
I absolutely agree with Bret.
Internet experts, banks, public authorities, employers and common sense
repeatedly warns you to NEVER click on such links.
I get several of these messages every day and I always ignore and delete
them.
I am not an IT expert, but this seems quite unprofessional to me.

Michael

Re: Anyone else get a "Reconfirm Mailing List Subscriptions" email from Sourceforge?

That's the curse of Microsoft Outlook (and maybe gmail.com; I'm not sure).  Thunderbird shows you the real link when you hover over what looks like a valid link.

This was a real link.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- From: Bret Busby

Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2017 7:48 AM
To: [hidden email]

Regularly receiving, at the start of each month, an information only
message stating
"You are shown as being subscribed to these mailing lists... You do
not need to do anything for the subscriptions to continue..."

or words to those effects, is significantly different to unexpectedly
receiving, after many years of being subscribed to mailing lists, an
unusual message stating
"You need to click on this link..."

Of course it appears sinister.

Have you backed up your files today?