Anyone else using gramps for one name study?

Anyone else using gramps for one name study?

Richard Taylor-2
Hi

My mother is a member of the Guild of One Name Studies
(http://www.one-name.org/). She is considering using Gramps. I have been
using Gramps for many years for my own genealogy research, but I am
focused on my own pedigree rather than my surname generally ("Taylor"
would be something of a challenge for a One Name Study :-) ).

I was wondering if there are other people using Gramps for One Name
Studies and if so what advice they might be able to give my mother
before she embarks on the adventure.

Many thanks

Richard

Re: Anyone else using gramps for one name study?

DS Blank
On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Richard Taylor
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> My mother is a member of the Guild of One Name Studies
> (http://www.one-name.org/). She is considering using Gramps. I have been
> using Gramps for many years for my own genealogy research, but I am
> focused on my own pedigree rather than my surname generally ("Taylor"
> would be something of a challenge for a One Name Study :-) ).
>
> I was wondering if there are other people using Gramps for One Name
> Studies and if so what advice they might be able to give my mother
> before she embarks on the adventure.

Interesting... hadn't heard of that before. I am working towards
something similar... an area study: people from a place in a given
time period. But I was thinking I would make it a collaboration and
use gramps-connect when it is ready.

-Doug

> Many thanks
>
> Richard

Re: Anyone else using gramps for one name study?

Nicholas Robinson
Hi

I am both a member of a One Name Study and have used Gramps for many
years.

Unless you are from Norfolk, Buckie or somewhere else that practises
inter-breeding, it is unlikely that a single One Name Study is going to
encompass your whole family tree!

I embarked on my family history research twenty years ago with my
maternal grandmother, whose maiden name was Stead. This seemed an easy
one as it is a relatively uncommon name. Imagine my excitement when I
discovered the very active One Name Study dedicated to Steads and
Steeds! I was quickly brought back down to Earth by the secretary who
pointed out that whilst Steads are indeed rare in the UK as a whole, 75%
of all the Steads who have ever lived were born, lived and died within
six miles of 'my' Steads!.

However, the kindness and experience, together with the collective
records and shared interest of this group, meant that I made a lot of
progress in a short time and this success probably turned a casual
interest into something more serious; and kept me going when the going
got tougher.

I can now go back 28 generations on one line, via the 'wrong' side of
the Jacobite Revolution; a brief excursion into Wales; a strict Weslayan
Methodist widowed mother of three children, who was also a landlady of a
pub, living next door to her mother-in-law who was bringing up several
orphaned grand-children single-handed; and an unknown great-grandfather
Army officer in Cambridge in 1905.

I have discovered living cousins, one of whom, despite our common
ancestor having been born in 1826, has an uncanny family resemblance;
another who had last met my father at a family get-together on Brighton
Beach the day WW2 broke out and we now meet every six weeks; yet another
who is a principal player in the ENO and so on.

There has even been an occasional foray into medical research and
forensic accountancy: school records of the weight and height of a 14
year-old girl in 1904/5 are consistent with teenage pregnancy; a
hiccough in the payment of school fees at the same time (an outraged
father objecting to the lack of care of his daughter?), absence from
school in March 1905; all confirm the family legend of an adopted
grandmother who was really the daughter of someone who was later a
missionary to China.

I would recommend ONS's as an excellent starting point, but unless you
are unbelievably disciplined and focused, it is inevitable you will be
drawn to investigate the mysteries and, sometimes, scandals of other
members of your family that throw themselves in your path.

Thank you for a question that made me reflect on what twenty years of
fascination, fun, frustration and occasional moments of sadness and
shame, actually mean to me.

Best Wishes

Nick

On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 20:23 +0000, Richard Taylor wrote:

> Hi
>
> My mother is a member of the Guild of One Name Studies
> (http://www.one-name.org/). She is considering using Gramps. I have been
> using Gramps for many years for my own genealogy research, but I am
> focused on my own pedigree rather than my surname generally ("Taylor"
> would be something of a challenge for a One Name Study :-) ).
>
> I was wondering if there are other people using Gramps for One Name
> Studies and if so what advice they might be able to give my mother
> before she embarks on the adventure.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Richard

SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT!

This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please accept my apologies; please do not disclose, copy or
distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on
its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please inform me that this message has gone astray before deleting it.
Thank you for your co-operation.

Re : Anyone else using gramps for one name study?

I do not use this site, but in France there is some small entities like this one (often local). Names in North, East, West, South of France are variable according the close countries (Ireland, Scotland, England, Germany, Italy, Spain, etc ...)

I am on http://www.francegenweb.org/ for some places and surnames and http://www.geneanet.org/ for sharing some global informations.
People contact me if surnames or places are matching and I contact them if I need more informations or if we are distant cousins. :)

Jérôme