Apology

robhealey1
Dear Gramps Developers, Users, Contributors, Testers, and anyone else:

I realize that over the last 48 hours or so, I committed some huge mistakes in the fact of lumping everything together in one commit!

My only explanation, which is a weak one, is that I lost my internet connection for a couple of days there!  I kept making my changes and then stupidly committed it all together...

I know that, I know better than to do this, and I apologize to everyone that has had to correct, fix, edit, revert, etc. on my behalf!  I will break down what I had committed all together into smaller pieces...

Please accept my apology for this matter...

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

Re: Apology

Benny Malengier

2010/4/22 Rob Healey <[hidden email]>
Dear Gramps Developers, Users, Contributors, Testers, and anyone else:

I realize that over the last 48 hours or so, I committed some huge mistakes in the fact of lumping everything together in one commit!

My only explanation, which is a weak one, is that I lost my internet connection for a couple of days there!  I kept making my changes and then stupidly committed it all together...

I know that, I know better than to do this, and I apologize to everyone that has had to correct, fix, edit, revert, etc. on my behalf!  I will break down what I had committed all together into smaller pieces...

Please accept my apology for this matter...

The most important thing is you learn from this mistake.

Let me repeat some points for all developers:

1/stable branch is only open for bug fixes. So a commit must hold a bug number, and the bug number must be put on the roadmap on the bug tracker.

2/If one fixes a bug in a stable branch, one always tests the code in the stable branch. Never should one code on trunk, test on trunk, then merge in stable branch. That is, stable branch is the most important to keep stable, trunk breaking is less an issue.

3/As said only bug fixes in stable branch. Larger changes which can be debated to be half features, after discussion. Eg, my change to html code type notes in branch32 was clearly discussed on the mailing list, with good reasons to do it in branch32 (people rely on it).

4/In general, do atomic commits of small parts for every feature. Larger commits in groups are only acceptable as a result of a GEP change (so trunk).

From the part of the managers of the code, we need to work more clearly with commit windows, and a commit freeze before a release. The schedules of the contributors are however busy, so sometimes we need to make do with the time available.

Greetings,
Benny

Sincerely yours,