Archiving problem

Doug-11
I've been using the Archive facility on 3.0.1 to make backups; but now
the Archive button on Family Tree Manager has disappeared.

Where should I be looking for the problem?  I recently upgraded the
linux kernel of my PC several steps and wonder whether this might have
disabled the Revision Control System.

If so, would removing and re-installing the RCS mean I'd lose access to
the current archives?

Doug

Re: Archiving problem

Martin Ewing
What would "archive" do that "export -> gramps package" would not?

Martin

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 6:55 AM, Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been using the Archive facility on 3.0.1 to make backups; but now
the Archive button on Family Tree Manager has disappeared.

Where should I be looking for the problem?  I recently upgraded the
linux kernel of my PC several steps and wonder whether this might have
disabled the Revision Control System.

If so, would removing and re-installing the RCS mean I'd lose access to
the current archives?

Doug

Martin Ewing, AA6E
Branford, CT

Re: Archiving problem

Doug-11
Not a lot, it's mostly convenience.

It organises the backups in a logical tree structure so it's immediately
obvious which backup comes from which version of the DB and when, and
which you're loading if you need to use an earlier backup. It saves
having to think how you might name your backups to show their
inter-relationships and then remembering what was the system you used
the year before last or whenever, when the time comes and you need it.

It also means you don't have lots of gpkgs cluttering up your
directories. (Under 2.x with .grdb, I needed to save pretty well every
session as a gramps package because  GRAMPS would often crash straight
after opening).

Doug

Martin, AA6E wrote:

> What would "archive" do that "export -> gramps package" would not?
>
> Martin
>
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 6:55 AM, Doug <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I've been using the Archive facility on 3.0.1 to make backups; but now
>     the Archive button on Family Tree Manager has disappeared.
>
>     Where should I be looking for the problem?  I recently upgraded the
>     linux kernel of my PC several steps and wonder whether this might have
>     disabled the Revision Control System.
>
>     If so, would removing and re-installing the RCS mean I'd lose
>     access to
>     the current archives?
>
>     Doug

>     challenge
>     Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win
>     great prizes
>     Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in
>     the world
>     http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
>     <http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/>

> Martin Ewing, AA6E
> Branford, CT

Re: Archiving problem

Doug-11
Doug wrote:

> I've been using the Archive facility on 3.0.1 to make backups; but now
> the Archive button on Family Tree Manager has disappeared.
>
> Where should I be looking for the problem?  I recently upgraded the
> linux kernel of my PC several steps and wonder whether this might have
> disabled the Revision Control System.
>
> If so, would removing and re-installing the RCS mean I'd lose access
> to the current archives?
>
> Doug

Further to the above:
Along with the disappeared button, I can't extract any of the archived
versions.

Removed and re-installed RCS. Still no Archive button; Extract still
doesn't work.

Can anyone help, or should I report this as a bug?

Doug

Re: Archiving problem

Brian Matherly
Doug,

> > I've been using the Archive facility on 3.0.1 to
> make backups; but now
> > the Archive button on Family Tree Manager has
> disappeared.
> >
> > Where should I be looking for the problem?  I recently
> upgraded the
> > linux kernel of my PC several steps and wonder whether
> this might have
> > disabled the Revision Control System.
> >
> > If so, would removing and re-installing the RCS mean
> I'd lose access
> > to the current archives?
> >
> > Doug
> >
> Further to the above:
> Along with the disappeared button, I can't extract any
> of the archived
> versions.
>
> Removed and re-installed RCS. Still no Archive button;
> Extract still
> doesn't work.

The only reason the archive button would go away is if Gramps can't find RCS. Are you sure rcs is in your path? Can you run it from the command line?

~Brian

Re: Archiving problem

Martin Ewing

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Brian Matherly <[hidden email]> wrote:

The only reason the archive button would go away is if Gramps can't find RCS. Are you sure rcs is in your path? Can you run it from the command line?

~Brian

I am running gramps v 3.0.1-1 on Fedora 8. Gramps was downloaded from SourceForge.  I do have rcs (v 5.7) installed and in my path, but I've never seen an "Archive" button.  Gramps does not comment or complain on startup.

So that's a bug?

--
Martin Ewing, AA6E
Branford, CT

Re: Archiving problem

Doug-11
Martin, AA6E wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Brian Matherly
>

>     The only reason the archive button would go away is if Gramps
>     can't find RCS. Are you sure rcs is in your path? Can you run it
>     from the command line?
>
>     ~Brian
>

> I am running gramps v 3.0.1-1 on Fedora 8. Gramps was downloaded from
> SourceForge.  I do have rcs (v 5.7) installed and in my path, but I've
> never seen an "Archive" button.  Gramps does not comment or complain
> on startup.
>
> So that's a bug?
>
> --
> Martin Ewing, AA6E
> Branford, CT
Could be - there seem to have been problems with RCS/Gramps in Windows
which might be similar

Doug

Re: Archiving problem

Doug-11
Martin, AA6E wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Brian Matherly
>

>     The only reason the archive button would go away is if Gramps
>     can't find RCS. Are you sure rcs is in your path? Can you run it
>     from the command line?
>
>     ~Brian
>

> I am running gramps v 3.0.1-1 on Fedora 8. Gramps was downloaded from
> SourceForge.  I do have rcs (v 5.7) installed and in my path, but I've
> never seen an "Archive" button.  Gramps does not comment or complain
> on startup.
>
> So that's a bug?
>
> --
> Martin Ewing, AA6E
> Branford, CT
Martin,
What version of the linux kernel are you using?
I'm wondering if that has something to do with rcs not being picked up,
then maybe we can report it as a bug.

Doug

Re: Archiving problem

Martin Ewing

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:
Martin, AA6E wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Brian Matherly
>

>     The only reason the archive button would go away is if Gramps
>     can't find RCS. Are you sure rcs is in your path? Can you run it
>     from the command line?
>
>     ~Brian
>

> I am running gramps v 3.0.1-1 on Fedora 8. Gramps was downloaded from
> SourceForge.  I do have rcs (v 5.7) installed and in my path, but I've
> never seen an "Archive" button.  Gramps does not comment or complain
> on startup.
>
> So that's a bug?
>
> --
> Martin Ewing, AA6E
> Branford, CT
Martin,
What version of the linux kernel are you using?
I'm wondering if that has something to do with rcs not being picked up,
then maybe we can report it as a bug.

Doug

Fedora 8's kernel (as of today!) is Linux version 2.6.25.11-60.fc8 ([hidden email]) (gcc version 4.1.2 20070925 (Red Hat 4.1.2-33)) #1 SMP Mon Jul 21 02:06:29 EDT 2008

I have reported this as a bug.  It's strange, since the 'archive' option is one I've never personally seen - I only recently started with gramps at v 3.01.  If rcs is not present, I would have thought it better practice still to show the "archive" button, but have it disabled (grayed).

Seems odd that gramps does not report anything about finding or not finding rcs -- or anything else related to the Linux environment -- on a CLI startup.  "--version" will get you the version number, but that's all you can ask about.

Martin

Re: Archiving problem

Martin Ewing
So, with egg on my face, I have found the missing "Archive" button.  It shows up, but only when the currently open database is selected in the "Manage Family Trees" dialog.  This is kind-of documented in the Gramps Manual, but was not the behavior my eyes and fingers were expecting when presented with this dialog box.

I suggested in the bug report, that the Manage Family Trees dialog could open up with the current database selected to avoid this particular problem in the future.

--

IMO there seems to be a little design confusion around the archiving process.  It overlaps (to my mind) a lot with the export process, although exporting is normally for porting your data to some other system, while archiving is internal to the local system.  Either way, the idea is to capture the state of the database.

So, I might vote for merging the two processes from a user interface point of view, if we want to rationalize the user experience some fine day! Archiving could be added to the Export options.  (OTOH, archives show up in a neat way on the Manage Family Trees dialog, as things are now...)

-Martin

Martin, AA6E wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Brian Matherly
>

>     The only reason the archive button would go away is if Gramps
>     can't find RCS. Are you sure rcs is in your path? Can you run it
>     from the command line?
>
>     ~Brian
>

> I am running gramps v 3.0.1-1 on Fedora 8. Gramps was downloaded from
> SourceForge.  I do have rcs (v 5.7) installed and in my path, but I've
> never seen an "Archive" button.  Gramps does not comment or complain
> on startup.
>
> So that's a bug?
>
> --
> Martin Ewing, AA6E
> Branford, CT
Martin,
What version of the linux kernel are you using?
I'm wondering if that has something to do with rcs not being picked up,
then maybe we can report it as a bug.

Doug

Fedora 8's kernel (as of today!) is Linux version 2.6.25.11-60.fc8 ([hidden email]) (gcc version 4.1.2 20070925 (Red Hat 4.1.2-33)) #1 SMP Mon Jul 21 02:06:29 EDT 2008

I have reported this as a bug.  It's strange, since the 'archive' option is one I've never personally seen - I only recently started with gramps at v 3.01.  If rcs is not present, I would have thought it better practice still to show the "archive" button, but have it disabled (grayed).

Seems odd that gramps does not report anything about finding or not finding rcs -- or anything else related to the Linux environment -- on a CLI startup.  "--version" will get you the version number, but that's all you can ask about.

Martin

--
Martin Ewing, AA6E
Branford, CT

Re: Archiving problem

Martin Steer-2
"Martin, AA6E" <[hidden email]> writes:

> So, with egg on my face, I have found the missing "Archive" button. It
> shows up, but only when the currently open database is selected in the
> "Manage Family Trees" dialog. This is kind-of documented in the Gramps
> Manual, but was not the behavior my eyes and fingers were expecting
> when presented with this dialog box.

It seems to me that the button should be greyed-out when inoperable,
rather than simply missing.

There are a couple of other oddities. The archive button has no labelled
shortcut (Alt-a is available), and there is no way, that I can see, to
cancel the archive dialogue once it is invoked.

--
Martin