Associations are single ended?

paul womack
I just had cause to create some "Guardian" associations in Gramps.

I went to the children (named in the will) and hooked
them up with the named Guardians via the Associations
tab, using the will as a Citation.

A little later, I was researching the guardians,
and noted that THEIR association tab doesn't show anything.

Surely an association should be double ended?

e.g. a godchild has a godparent, but conversely the godparent has a godchild.

  BugBear

Re: Associations are single ended?

paul womack
I notice (from the source) that Associations
appear to be just a label for "PersonReferences".

Is this why, despite IMHO they should be double ended
(expressing a relationship) they're single ended
(referencing another person)?

Is there a convenient way to express
a "double ended" relationship (i,e, godparent/godchild
benefactor/beneficary).

   BugBear

paul womack wrote:

> I just had cause to create some "Guardian" associations in Gramps.
>
> I went to the children (named in the will) and hooked
> them up with the named Guardians via the Associations
> tab, using the will as a Citation.
>
> A little later, I was researching the guardians,
> and noted that THEIR association tab doesn't show anything.
>
> Surely an association should be double ended?
>
> e.g. a godchild has a godparent, but conversely the godparent has a godchild.
>
>    BugBear

Re: Associations are single ended?

Nick Hall
On 29/04/14 10:11, paul womack wrote:

> I notice (from the source) that Associations
> appear to be just a label for "PersonReferences".
>
> Is this why, despite IMHO they should be double ended
> (expressing a relationship) they're single ended
> (referencing another person)?
>
> Is there a convenient way to express
> a "double ended" relationship (i,e, godparent/godchild
> benefactor/beneficary).

Correct.  You can see the back-links in the References tab though.

There is also nothing to stop you adding a second relationship which is
the "reverse" of the first.  It would be easy to write a tool to do this.