Attach a person to a source

Jon Schewe
I've done some interviews with people that are my relatives. I have a source for the person and a citation for the interview date and then link that to the information I've gathered. This works well. The one thing I'd like to add is to link the source to the person that I interviewed. Is there a good way to do this in gramps?

Thank you

Jon Schewe

Re: Attach a person to a source

Ron Johnson
On 11/30/2018 06:53 PM, Jon Schewe wrote:
I've done some interviews with people that are my relatives. I have a source for the person and a citation for the interview date and then link that to the information I've gathered. This works well. The one thing I'd like to add is to link the source to the person that I interviewed. Is there a good way to do this in gramps?

Have you created the Sources (for example "Interview with John Xavier Doe on 22-Nov-2018 (tape recorded)")?

If so, then go to the (or create new) relevant Person and Family objects and create the appropriate Events.  For each Event, create one or more Citations.  Each Citation is a child of a Source.

In this case:

Person: Mary Haddalittle Lamb
    Event: Birth
        Place: Oxford, Oxfordshire, England
        Citation: Timestamp 35:42 - 35:55
            Source:
Interview with John Xavier Doe on 22-Nov-2018 (tape recorded)
    Event: Death
        Place: London, England
        Citation: Timestamp 35:42 - 35:55
            Source: Interview with John Xavier Doe on 22-Nov-2018 (tape recorded)

Person: Littleboy Blue
    Event: Birth
        Place: Ipswich, Suffolk, England
        Citation: Timestamp 35:56 - 36:01
            Source:
Interview with John Xavier Doe on 22-Nov-2018 (tape recorded)
    Event: Death
        Place: London, England
        Citation: Timestamp 35:56 - 36:01
            Source: Interview with John Xavier Doe on 22-Nov-2018 (tape recorded)

Family:
Littleboy Blue and Mary Haddalittle Lamb
    Event: Marriage
        Place: ...
        Citation: ...
            Source: ...

Make use of Sharing.  Almost all objects (Event, Citation, Source, Place, etc) can be shared, and it really reduces your data entry work load.  Also make use of the clipboard, which really reduces your typing load!  (Note, though, that it doesn't work anything like a standard computer clipboard.  It works like a real clipboard in that you drag things onto it, and drag-copy them off.)

HTH

Re: Attach a person to a source

For the person you interviewed, why not just attach the citation to
that person's record. In the person's edit window, there are the tabs;
Events, Names, Source Citations.... This citation is attached to the
person and not to any of the vents, etc.
On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:55 PM Jon Schewe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've done some interviews with people that are my relatives. I have a source for the person and a citation for the interview date and then link that to the information I've gathered. This works well. The one thing I'd like to add is to link the source to the person that I interviewed. Is there a good way to do this in gramps?
>
> Thank you
>
> Jon Schewe
>
> --
> http://mtu.net/~jpschewe

Re: Attach a person to a source

Jon Schewe
That seems like my best option at this point. I suppose I could create and interview event as well and attach the citation to that.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018, 21:03 Dave Scheipers <[hidden email] wrote:
For the person you interviewed, why not just attach the citation to
that person's record. In the person's edit window, there are the tabs;
Events, Names, Source Citations.... This citation is attached to the
person and not to any of the vents, etc.
On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:55 PM Jon Schewe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've done some interviews with people that are my relatives. I have a source for the person and a citation for the interview date and then link that to the information I've gathered. This works well. The one thing I'd like to add is to link the source to the person that I interviewed. Is there a good way to do this in gramps?
>
> Thank you
>
> Jon Schewe
>
> --
> http://mtu.net/~jpschewe

Re: Attach a person to a source

Ron Johnson
If all you want to do is record the fact that you interviewed Old Aunt Hedwig on a certain date, record it in a Note attached to Old Aunt Hedwig's Person record.

(Hint: Notes, like just about everything else in Gramps are shareable.)

On 11/30/2018 09:06 PM, Jon Schewe wrote:
That seems like my best option at this point. I suppose I could create and interview event as well and attach the citation to that.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018, 21:03 Dave Scheipers <[hidden email] wrote:
For the person you interviewed, why not just attach the citation to
that person's record. In the person's edit window, there are the tabs;
Events, Names, Source Citations.... This citation is attached to the
person and not to any of the vents, etc.
On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:55 PM Jon Schewe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've done some interviews with people that are my relatives. I have a source for the person and a citation for the interview date and then link that to the information I've gathered. This works well. The one thing I'd like to add is to link the source to the person that I interviewed. Is there a good way to do this in gramps?

Re: Attach a person to a source

The Interview event has merit. You could share the event with the
Primary person and with the Interviewer. Who is to say you have to do
all the interviewing. You also do not say what form the interview it
was. Do you have a video or audio file? or is it just your transcribed
notes? Remember, Media records do not have to be images.

And Ron's idea to just put a Note in the person's record: you can
share that same Note with the Citation you are sharing with all the
events the relative told you about. The possibilities are endless.

As you can see, there is no one "best" way of documenting the
information you find. You find the "best' way of cataloging your
information. What works best for you. We can only offer options.
On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:07 PM Jon Schewe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That seems like my best option at this point. I suppose I could create and interview event as well and attach the citation to that.
>
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018, 21:03 Dave Scheipers <[hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> For the person you interviewed, why not just attach the citation to
>> that person's record. In the person's edit window, there are the tabs;
>> Events, Names, Source Citations.... This citation is attached to the
>> person and not to any of the vents, etc.
>> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:55 PM Jon Schewe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > I've done some interviews with people that are my relatives. I have a source for the person and a citation for the interview date and then link that to the information I've gathered. This works well. The one thing I'd like to add is to link the source to the person that I interviewed. Is there a good way to do this in gramps?
>> >
>> > Thank you
>> >
>> > Jon Schewe
>> >
>> > --
>> > http://mtu.net/~jpschewe

Re: Attach a person to a source

J. Allen Crider-2
One other option that I haven't seen discussed is that you can include
links to the people involved in a note attached to the source.  Add a
note to the source describing the interview, highlight the name of a
person in the note, click on the link icon in the toolbar, and use the
link editor to select the person in your tree.

Allen Crider

On 11/30/18 10:16 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> The Interview event has merit. You could share the event with the
> Primary person and with the Interviewer. Who is to say you have to do
> all the interviewing. You also do not say what form the interview it
> was. Do you have a video or audio file? or is it just your transcribed
> notes? Remember, Media records do not have to be images.
>
> And Ron's idea to just put a Note in the person's record: you can
> share that same Note with the Citation you are sharing with all the
> events the relative told you about. The possibilities are endless.
>
> As you can see, there is no one "best" way of documenting the
> information you find. You find the "best' way of cataloging your
> information. What works best for you. We can only offer options.
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:07 PM Jon Schewe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That seems like my best option at this point. I suppose I could create and interview event as well and attach the citation to that.
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018, 21:03 Dave Scheipers <[hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> For the person you interviewed, why not just attach the citation to
>>> that person's record. In the person's edit window, there are the tabs;
>>> Events, Names, Source Citations.... This citation is attached to the
>>> person and not to any of the vents, etc.

Re: Attach a person to a source

Jon Schewe
That is an interesting idea. I will need to see how that shows up in reports.

One thing I noticed with this is that I can't drag a person from the clipboard to the link, so I need to search through the list of all people to find the person for the source.

On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 7:35 AM J. Allen Crider <[hidden email]> wrote:
One other option that I haven't seen discussed is that you can include
links to the people involved in a note attached to the source.  Add a
note to the source describing the interview, highlight the name of a
person in the note, click on the link icon in the toolbar, and use the
link editor to select the person in your tree.

Allen Crider

On 11/30/18 10:16 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> The Interview event has merit. You could share the event with the
> Primary person and with the Interviewer. Who is to say you have to do
> all the interviewing. You also do not say what form the interview it
> was. Do you have a video or audio file? or is it just your transcribed
> notes? Remember, Media records do not have to be images.
>
> And Ron's idea to just put a Note in the person's record: you can
> share that same Note with the Citation you are sharing with all the
> events the relative told you about. The possibilities are endless.
>
> As you can see, there is no one "best" way of documenting the
> information you find. You find the "best' way of cataloging your
> information. What works best for you. We can only offer options.
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:07 PM Jon Schewe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That seems like my best option at this point. I suppose I could create and interview event as well and attach the citation to that.
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018, 21:03 Dave Scheipers <[hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> For the person you interviewed, why not just attach the citation to
>>> that person's record. In the person's edit window, there are the tabs;
>>> Events, Names, Source Citations.... This citation is attached to the
>>> person and not to any of the vents, etc.

Re: Attach a person to a source

Jon Schewe
Thank you all for the suggestions.

It seems that sharing a note with all of the entities involved (source, person, and possible event), is the best because notes can be attached to anything.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:17 PM Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Interview event has merit. You could share the event with the
Primary person and with the Interviewer. Who is to say you have to do
all the interviewing. You also do not say what form the interview it
was. Do you have a video or audio file? or is it just your transcribed
notes? Remember, Media records do not have to be images.

And Ron's idea to just put a Note in the person's record: you can
share that same Note with the Citation you are sharing with all the
events the relative told you about. The possibilities are endless.

As you can see, there is no one "best" way of documenting the
information you find. You find the "best' way of cataloging your
information. What works best for you. We can only offer options.
On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:07 PM Jon Schewe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That seems like my best option at this point. I suppose I could create and interview event as well and attach the citation to that.
>
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018, 21:03 Dave Scheipers <[hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> For the person you interviewed, why not just attach the citation to
>> that person's record. In the person's edit window, there are the tabs;
>> Events, Names, Source Citations.... This citation is attached to the
>> person and not to any of the vents, etc.
>> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:55 PM Jon Schewe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > I've done some interviews with people that are my relatives. I have a source for the person and a citation for the interview date and then link that to the information I've gathered. This works well. The one thing I'd like to add is to link the source to the person that I interviewed. Is there a good way to do this in gramps?
>> >
>> > Thank you
>> >
>> > Jon Schewe
>> >
>> > --
>> > http://mtu.net/~jpschewe

Re: Attach a person to a source

J. Allen Crider-2
I don't know that it is very useful in most reports.  I think it just
underlines the text selected for the link.  But in web reports, it does
provide a link to the individual page for the person.

Allen