Automated determination of latitude+longitude?

Automated determination of latitude+longitude?

I've got almost 3200 places, but less than 30 of them have geographic data.
Is there a tool that can help automate the process of populating these fields?

Re: Automated determination of latitude+longitude?

Nicholas Robinson
Hi

This is fairly nifty. Seems to cope with village names and postcodes in the UK and other places in the world with country names.

It might be possible to use some scripting to take a list of places from Gramps and fire them off to this site programmatically. I wouldn’t know how to get them back into Gramps, though.

HTH

Nick

> On 29 Jan 2017, at 21:32, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I've got almost 3200 places, but less than 30 of them have geographic data.
> Is there a tool that can help automate the process of populating these fields?
>
> --
> World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

Re: Automated determination of latitude+longitude?

Gary Griffin
For the US, I used the Place Completion addon with the GeoNames databases. This can do batch updates to add lat/lon to existing places. It also identifies the County. I did this state by state. You need to have exact matches on the place names, but GeoNames db does include populated places, churches, and cemeteries. So coverage is potentially high.

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Place_completion_tool
https://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/download_data.htm

For Western Europe, I used the GetGOV plugin. That is not batch (one city at a time) but has the benefit of adding historic Enclosed-By and language data. Currently this is available only on the master branch.

http://gov.genealogy.net/search/index
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addon:GetGOV

On 01/29/2017 06:41 PM, Gary Griffin wrote:
> For the US, I used the Place Completion addon with the GeoNames databases.
> This can do batch updates to add lat/lon to existing places. It also
> identifies the County. I did this state by state. You need to have exact
> matches on the place names, but GeoNames db does include populated places,
> churches, and cemeteries. So coverage is potentially high.
>
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Place_completion_tool

Tried to download the sample database, and got
$ wget
http://svn.code.sf.net/p/gramps/code/branches/maintenance/gramps34/example/gramps/example.gramps
--2017-01-30 12:31:22--
http://svn.code.sf.net/p/gramps/code/branches/maintenance/gramps34/example/gramps/example.gramps
Resolving svn.code.sf.net (svn.code.sf.net)... 216.34.181.157
Connecting to svn.code.sf.net (svn.code.sf.net)|216.34.181.157|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
2017-01-30 12:31:22 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

Re: Automated determination of latitude+longitude?

Maybe need to fix the url on wiki page?

replace:
http://svn.code.sf.net/p/gramps/code/branches/maintenance/gramps34/example/gramps/example.gramps
by: