Ayudame

Alan Heywood-Jones
This morning I tried to explain to my wife the difficulties that I was having when researching my English/Scottish/Welsh family tree. Name changes on marriage are a particular problem. She said that this should be less of a problem here in Spain because women keep their birth names throughout their lives.  She then asked me create her family tree.

I can go back a few years by asking questions of her family in the Alicante/Murcia region. However, to go back any further I need help with searching official records - online or in local repositories.

This is probably off-topic for discussion within this group but I’d appreciate an email from anyone with expertise in this area.

Best wishes
Alan
y Nieves

Re: Ayudame

Alain Pastor
Hi Alan,

I have no real expertise but my ancestors are all from south of Spain (Alicante and Murcia). I’m wondering if you know of the helping group for genealogy related to the Valencian region. For an overview click the following link: <http://www.raicesreinovalencia.com>.

(As an aside, my own ancestors from this region lived in Aspe, Crevillente and Novelda. If you’re interested in Novelda, maybe you’ll be as lucky as me, because there’s been a very huge amount of work done by Miguel Ángel Cantó Gómez on the main lineages of this town and it’s available for free as a pdf document. Thank to this tremendous work I was able to retrieve ancestors going back to more or less 1380!)

You’ll have to be a member (30 euros annual contribution) to get relevant information allowing you to continue your investigations otherwise you’ll get basic information only. Your registration as a member comes with « 25 creditos », i.e. 25 requests to the database. When you run out of « creditos » you can buy some more (less expensive than the registration).

Mamen Enriquez Sánchez-Gómez is the leader of this group and she’s still roaming the whole region scanning old registers that volunteers transcribe in order to enter the data in the database making them available to anybody requesting them. Notice though that you don’t have access to the digitalized documents (except if you’re volunteering for pending transcription of registers). For an official act (which is not free), you must write to the proper diocese.

There’s also an helping group for Murcia ([hidden email]), but it can’t compare with the Valencian group. I think there’s no database but members from the forum who can help the researchers.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Alain Pastor

Le 16/01/2017 à 12:36, Alan Heywood-Jones a écrit :
This morning I tried to explain to my wife the difficulties that I was having when researching my English/Scottish/Welsh family tree. Name changes on marriage are a particular problem. She said that this should be less of a problem here in Spain because women keep their birth names throughout their lives.  She then asked me create her family tree.

I can go back a few years by asking questions of her family in the Alicante/Murcia region. However, to go back any further I need help with searching official records - online or in local repositories.

This is probably off-topic for discussion within this group but I’d appreciate an email from anyone with expertise in this area.

Best wishes
Alan
y Nieves

Training and support from Colfax.