BMD quarter date only known

diannereuby
I'm still tidying up my "inherited" database. Some of the birth,
marriage, death records have only the quarter shown - e.g. M(arch) 1780.

What's the best way to show these in GRAMPS?

TIA
Dianne

Re: BMD quarter date only known

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 14:19:04 +0000
Dianne Reuby <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Dianne,

> I'm still tidying up my "inherited" database. Some of the birth,
> marriage, death records have only the quarter shown - e.g. M(arch)
> 1780.
> What's the best way to show these in GRAMPS?

I just enter the month and year, and add the full GRO reference in the
description field.

You could also enter the date as "between Jan and Mar XXXX", where XXXX
is the year, obviously.  However, just because an event is registered in
a particular quarter, doesn't mean it occurred in that quarter.  It
could, as you're no doubt aware, be in the previous one.

--
 Regards  _

An old custom to sell your daughter
Hong Kong Garden - Siouxsie & The Banshees

Re: BMD quarter date only known

Cedric Scott
Dianne,

I don't know the best way but I can tell you what I do.

The main source of this problem for me is the General Register Office Index of
Births, Marriages and Deaths in England and Wales. A typical entry in this
gives year, quarter, name, district, volume and page number

1. I record the year, quarter, district, volume and page number in the
Volume/Page field of the source.

2. I enter the year as the date of the event which is lazy of me - If I was
starting again I would enter it as 'about March 1877' or even 'before March 31
1877'

Hope this helps.
Cedric

On Thursday 04 February 2010 14:19:04 Dianne Reuby wrote:

> I'm still tidying up my "inherited" database. Some of the birth,
> marriage, death records have only the quarter shown - e.g. M(arch) 1780.
>
> What's the best way to show these in GRAMPS?
>
> TIA
> Dianne

Re: BMD quarter date only known

Gerald Britton-2
I have had the same issue when recording entries from freebmd.org.uk
for example.  I usually do this:

between 1 Jan 2010 and 31 Mar 2010

or whatever dates are appropriate for the given quarter.  However,
that might not be entirely accurate in the case of data from freebmd
(or the register themselves) since this reflects when then birth was
_recorded_, not when it _occurred_.  Still, until you (and I) have a
better source, this might be the best we can do.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Dianne Reuby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm still tidying up my "inherited" database. Some of the birth,
> marriage, death records have only the quarter shown - e.g. M(arch) 1780.
>
> What's the best way to show these in GRAMPS?
>
> TIA
> Dianne

Gerald Britton

Re: BMD quarter date only known

Martin Ewing
What would it take to expand the "date" syntax to allow "2000-q1" for a quarterly date.  It could translate to between x and y, if needed.

Cheers,
Martin

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Gerald Britton <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have had the same issue when recording entries from freebmd.org.uk
for example.  I usually do this:

between 1 Jan 2010 and 31 Mar 2010

or whatever dates are appropriate for the given quarter.  However,
that might not be entirely accurate in the case of data from freebmd
(or the register themselves) since this reflects when then birth was
_recorded_, not when it _occurred_.  Still, until you (and I) have a
better source, this might be the best we can do.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Dianne Reuby <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm still tidying up my "inherited" database. Some of the birth,
> marriage, death records have only the quarter shown - e.g. M(arch) 1780.
>
> What's the best way to show these in GRAMPS?
>
> TIA
> Dianne

Gerald Britton

Dr. Martin S. Ewing, AA6E
Member IEEE, URSI, AAS, ARRL
Branford, Connecticut

Re: BMD quarter date only known

DS Blank
On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Martin Ewing <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What would it take to expand the "date" syntax to allow "2000-q1" for a
> quarterly date.  It could translate to between x and y, if needed.

Martin,

The date syntax is pretty sophisticated, allowing many variations
across many languages and formats. The date search also uses the same
syntax. Connected to this syntax, we have a sophisticated way of
matching the search date, so that "before 1960" and "after 1958" will
match, as well as many other possibilities. You can even adjust the
meaning of "before", "after", and "about" in Preferences to widen or
narrow their meanings.

If Dianne, the original poster, was interested in matching an event
"March 1780", then searching with any of these dates would match:

"1780"
"March 1780"
"between Jan 1, 1780 and March 31, 1780"

If one is interested in matching any date in the first quarter of any
year, then I'm not sure Gramps currently has a way to do that. But
working on that problem is much easier than changing the date syntax
or matching semantics.

Hope that helps!

-Doug

> Cheers,
> Martin
>
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Gerald Britton <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I have had the same issue when recording entries from freebmd.org.uk
>> for example.  I usually do this:
>>
>> between 1 Jan 2010 and 31 Mar 2010
>>
>> or whatever dates are appropriate for the given quarter.  However,
>> that might not be entirely accurate in the case of data from freebmd
>> (or the register themselves) since this reflects when then birth was
>> _recorded_, not when it _occurred_.  Still, until you (and I) have a
>> better source, this might be the best we can do.
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Dianne Reuby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I'm still tidying up my "inherited" database. Some of the birth,
>> > marriage, death records have only the quarter shown - e.g. M(arch) 1780.
>> >
>> > What's the best way to show these in GRAMPS?
>> >
>> > TIA
>> > Dianne

>> > The Planet: dedicated and managed hosting, cloud storage, colocation
>> > Stay online with enterprise data centers and the best network in the
>> > business
>> > Choose flexible plans and management services without long-term
>> > contracts
>> > Personal 24x7 support from experience hosting pros just a phone call
>> > away.
>> > http://p.sf.net/sfu/theplanet-com
>> >

>> --
>> Gerald Britton

> Dr. Martin S. Ewing, AA6E
> Member IEEE, URSI, AAS, ARRL
> Branford, Connecticut

Re: BMD quarter date only known

Michael Lightfoot-2
On Friday 05 February 2010 02:37:28 Gerald Britton wrote:
> I have had the same issue when recording entries from freebmd.org.uk
> for example.  I usually do this:
>
> between 1 Jan 2010 and 31 Mar 2010

I also more or less do this - "between January 1861 and March 1861" unless
there is other data which narrows it down (such as a baptism.)  I'm also aware
that occasionally the birth may have actually occurred in the previous
quarter, or more rarely quite a bit earlier (especially in the BMD records
before there was a fine involved for being tardy...)

Perhaps we could feature request a date format for "March quarter 1861"?

--
====
Michael Lightfoot

Re: BMD quarter date only known

Gerald Britton-2
The tricky thing here is that gramps adheres to gedcom standards for
attributes of dates.  "Before", "After", "From", "To", "About",
"Calculated" are in the standard but "Quarter" is not.  However, you
don't have to store a valid date in that field.  You can put "2010 Q1"
if you like, or "The year of the tiger" if you like the Chinese
convention.  The problem with that is that the dates won't sort as you
expect or be as easy to select with gramps filters.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Michael Lightfoot
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Friday 05 February 2010 02:37:28 Gerald Britton wrote:
>> I have had the same issue when recording entries from freebmd.org.uk
>> for example.  I usually do this:
>>
>> between 1 Jan 2010 and 31 Mar 2010
>>
> I also more or less do this - "between January 1861 and March 1861" unless
> there is other data which narrows it down (such as a baptism.)  I'm also aware
> that occasionally the birth may have actually occurred in the previous
> quarter, or more rarely quite a bit earlier (especially in the BMD records
> before there was a fine involved for being tardy...)
>
> Perhaps we could feature request a date format for "March quarter 1861"?
>
> --
> ====
> Michael Lightfoot
> Canberra, Australia
> OPC Merther, St Breock & Egloshayle, Cornwall
> see http://www.cornwall-opc.org
> [hidden email]
> ====

Gerald Britton