BSDDB -> mariadb (MySQL)

Erik P. Olsen
How difficult is it to move from BSDDB to mariadb? I am asking because I already use
mariadb for other purposes and BSDDB as I understand it is depricated.

Erik P. Olsen

Re: BSDDB -> mariadb (MySQL)

Nick Hall
On 24/12/2018 16:28, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> How difficult is it to move from BSDDB to mariadb? I am asking because I already use
> mariadb for other purposes and BSDDB as I understand it is depricated.

You would have to create a MariaDB backend based on the existing
third-party PostgreSQL backend.  This would reuse the DBAPI class used
by the SqLite backend which is supported in core Gramps.

It shouldn't be very difficult to write.  In fact, we did have a MySQL
backend, but it took too much effort to support.

https://github.com/gramps-project/addons-source/tree/master/PostgreSQL

Let us know if you need any help.

Re: BSDDB -> mariadb (MySQL)

Erik P. Olsen
On 2018-12-24 at 18:20:57 Nick Hall wrote:

> On 24/12/2018 16:28, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> > How difficult is it to move from BSDDB to mariadb? I am asking because I already use
> > mariadb for other purposes and BSDDB as I understand it is depricated.
>
> You would have to create a MariaDB backend based on the existing
> third-party PostgreSQL backend.  This would reuse the DBAPI class used
> by the SqLite backend which is supported in core Gramps.
>
> It shouldn't be very difficult to write.  In fact, we did have a MySQL
> backend, but it took too much effort to support.
>
> https://github.com/gramps-project/addons-source/tree/master/PostgreSQL
>
> Let us know if you need any help.

Thanks Nick, this is something I don't dare doing. My programming background is IBM
mainframe with which I have been working for almost 30 years and it is totally different
from what I see in the link.

Erik P. Olsen